V Magazine #118 Spring 2019 : Lady Gaga by Jean-Paul Goude

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

I never could abide Fame Monster Gaga, but I'll take that a thousand times over starlet Gaga who does cutesy 'pick me!' interviews with People magazine, conveniently got engaged right before the Oscars, and strategically play the media into believing there may or may not be true romantic chemistry with Bradley Cooper. She's shown her true colours with this switch from edgy to basic, only to appease Hollywood. So much for 'Born This Way.' She's probably more like Madonna than I had imagined.

As for the images, most could do with some cropping and Margiela doesn't need such OTT styling. We've already seen that on the runway. But it looks set to be the most interesting V cover of the year. At least.

MON and ghostwriter10549 like this.
  2. ghostwriter10549

ghostwriter10549 Well-Known Member

Its always the same crap: the old gaga is back but not really. V magazine and Gaga, we dont need you anymore! Rihanna is pushing fashion forward in Hollywood and Beyonce is pushing the mainstream sound, so this is pointless to me.

MON likes this.
  3. timandnorah

timandnorah Member

Actually she hasn't done any recent cover stories with People magazine, she broke off her engagement before the Oscars, and she just went on Kimmel last week and directly dispelled any rumors of a romance with Bradley. And frankly I think saying that her wanting to appeal to Hollywood glamour for her film debut instead of rocking her club kid couture of a pop musician disregards the fact that women can be more than one thing and have many facets to their personality.

4. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

I don’t get why everyone is treating this like an acting Oscar. It was the Oscar for Best Original Song. There’s a big difference.

Perickles, MDNA, mikel and 3 others like this.
  5. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Active Member

Because it is one of the most precious awards a musician could get? It fits better than acting - a musician with a true talent gets acknowledged with an Oscar for her music.

MON likes this.
  6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Reaching! How did you even get there?

MON likes this.
  7. Morgane07

Morgane07 Active Member

This is absolutely not true. David Bowie and Prince, among many other extremely talented artists, never received an Oscar, while Sam Smith and Lady Gaga did. Awards do not necessarily equate talent.

Benn98, MDNA, Lalippity and 2 others like this.
  8. MON

MON Well-Known Member

2019 and we’re still pitting women against each other. Why drag Madonna into this? Why discredit Madonna with Gaga’s award? I mean that’s Twitter Fandom level of discourse and I’m kinda not having it. Liked all of it cause made me giggle.

The issue of Gaga’s relevance is just as tiring as the issue on Kendall/Gigi’s relevance. Every thread has it.

Going back to the merits of this cover, meh. I barely recognized her. Its too far a covershot for my liking.

dontbeadrag likes this.
  9. liv4beauty

liv4beauty Member

Interesting take but I always considered Fame Monster Gaga to be an act in itself.

She’s adapting her look to this new phase in her career. It’s called reinvention. Many have done it and will continue to do so. Anyway, I like the cover. It’s fun.

10. dontbeadrag

No one said that ones who don’t have an award are talentless. Of course Prince and Bowie are iconic, but so did become Gaga through all these years. I am saying that Gaga did not get her award for nothing, the issue of her being talentless or overrated is really tired in 2019, and if there are people who still think so, then they should watch her Sound of Music tribute or live tour with Tony Bennett. This is not an assault by any means, I am not talking about you in this case, I am generalizing. Of course, any huge pop star always generated polarizing views, so I see your point.

11. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

The Oscar is the highest award an artist can achieve for the craft of film making not for music. Regardless, I’m sure it’s cool to win one but let’s not make it seem the particular Oscar she won is one of the more prestigious awards of the night. It’s like winning wimbledon for soccer skills and none of this has to do with her talent, which I’m not disputing.

I feel the same way when actors win a Grammy for a “spoken word album”

Everyone is gunning for an EGOT these days. That doesn’t necessarily make them Barbra Streisand.

Benn98 likes this.
  12. dontbeadrag

Yes, I agree, but as a musician it is a high point of recognition to get one for your music/singing. I mean, of course we won 3 Grammy’s before that Oscar, but still. There aren’t that many musicians with Oscars.

13. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Madonna vs. Lady Gaga is so 2011.

This “fight” is pointless. I’m a HUGE fan of both and I’m sick and tired of people arguing about who is “the best”. I’m sure that THEY DON’T CARE ANYMORE! Both of them are enjoying their work and life in 2 different ways while you are stuck in 2012.

If you can’t stand Gaga, ignore her. If you don’t like Madonna, do the same. Just don’t bring back again this fight because it’s immature af.

Focus on the topic: the magazine. And if you wanna keep fighting just create a thread in “The Entertainment...” section and discuss who is the best.

dfl-001 and LastNight like this.
  14. jorgepalomo

Ps.
    mean-girls-movie-quotes-64.gif

dfl-001 likes this.
  15. Morgane07

Morgane07 Active Member

Don't do poor Gaga dirty like that, comparing her to Kendall and Gigi. :p

MON likes this.
  16. Karl Boucher

Karl Boucher Member

I think Gaga is a kind of talented Madonna

17. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

all this Gaga v Madonna is a generational thing imo... Madonna paved the way so the rest is just a matter of taste (I personally prefer Madonna over Gaga). And people, it´s not like she wrote and produced Shallow by herself, there were many other people involved!

dfl-001, russianelf and Benn98 like this.
  18. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    vmagazine.com

Comedy issue?

19. jorgepalomo

^^ This cover is a choice

20. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

It's like Star Wars on a farm.

dfl-001 likes this.