Vanity Fair April 2020 : Reese Witherspoon by Jackie Nickerson

Loving the compositions of the background and the pink head Font! Wish Reese’s eyes were open!

Even when they have a safe and popular choice they still manage to muck it up. The styling looks preposterous, and I get what the expression/pose is going for, but it just looks awkward for a cover. Also, Jackie Nickerson and CM Brides don't match. But I suppose in these tough times a cheque is a cheque.

That pictute looks Like It was taken at the vf Oscar party.

Both eyes closed on the cover of a magazine? That’s new.

In truth, I applaud Radhika anytime she produces a cover that looks unique compared with Graydon’s Vanity Fair. This certainly fits the bill and I want to like it, but it just looks a bit too much like a “fun” outtake.

That’s a choice.

i’m rarely disappointed with Reese covers, but this might be one of them

This is the 2nd month in a row that Town & Country and Vanity Fair did stories on the same exact thing (Prince Charles and the fake Picasso, UAE divorce scandal), both proudly featuring the stories on the cover. Problem for Vanity Fair is that T&C is released a couple weeks earlier. They’re getting scooped!

This is the 2nd month in a row that Town & Country and Vanity Fair did stories on the same exact thing (Prince Charles and the fake Picasso, UAE divorce scandal), both proudly featuring the stories on the cover. Problem for Vanity Fair is that T&C is released a couple weeks earlier. They’re getting scooped!

Happen to have read both, at the end of the day it more than anything highlights in what a low terrible VF is at right now. I've read the T&C story on that creepy UAE divorce which sounded like something out of something like Homeland. The writer had access, direct quotes in some cases, insider info. The feature was VF level.
In regards to the royals, VF burned their bridges with them. To be fair that already happened under Graydon, but Radhika's fawning Harry/Meghan cover could very easily have been leveraged for more exclusives. Yet even if she did manage that, I'm 99% convinced Anna would have pushed the exclusive to Vogue first before they land on VF just like she ran Leibovitz pictures of Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel Miranda in Vogue a week ahead of a Vanity Fair cover featuring Lin on his own. Radhika lacks the strategy and balls of steel of an editor required for this role. No wonder the royals are going on podcasts rather than the traditional magazine route.

I want to hate this because it's everything I detest in a magazine cover (zero engagement with the reader from the subject and a full-length shot), but somehow I don't loathe the outcome? Maybe it's Reese, or just the fact that it's different and outside the norm for Vanity Fair.

Vanity Fair April 2020

The Book of Reese

Photographer: Jackie Nickerson
Stylist: Samira Nasr
Hair: Adir Abergel
Makeup: Romy Soleimani
Cast: Reese Witherspoon

Vanity Fair Digital Edition

A close up of the second shot could havve been a better cover.

A close up of the second shot could havve been a better cover.

Yes, at least there's some sort of campy Meryl Streep in Death Becomes Her craziness going on in that shot which would make this look interesting!

I could happily suspend disbelief and imagine they're shooting her behind the scenes at a TV set - except the shot where she's holding the flowers makes me think "is this really all you have?"

That shot reminds me of the rubbish UK Vogue cover with Cheryl Cole where she had malaria but still turned up to the shoot, and the cover shot was her clutching some flowers that looked like they were bought from a petrol/gas station.

Where is the glamour? Where is the effort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->