Vanity Fair August 2008 : Hollywood's Next Wave by Mark Seliger

source | vanityfair

JAY BARUCHEL Age: 26. Hometown: Montreal. Breakthrough role: Jay in Knocked Up. Upcoming film: Tropic Thunder. Chuck Taylors or Nikes? Nikes. Levi’s or J Brand? “I think they’re Levi’s. It’s whatever my mother buys for me because my mother buys all my pants.” BlackBerry or iPhone? BlackBerry. Justin Timberlake or John Mayer? “Oh Jesus, I’d take a cyanide pill.” Rihanna or Carrie Underwood? “Jesus Christ. I’m a big David Archuleta fan.” Inspiration? “If I am ever remotely funny, I credit Rowan Atkinson and Ricky Gervais, and I know you’re not supposed to say this anymore, but, growing up, Michael Richards was pretty important to me.” Favorite snack? “My death-row meal would be shepherd’s pie.” Eli Manning or Tom Brady? “I hate football.” Favorite TV show? “It’s a toss-up between Seinfeld and The Simpsons.Last book you read? “Book five of the Dark Tower series, by Stephen King, which is called … Hold on, I’m having an absolute brain fart … ” Hybrid or Escalade? “Whatever my employers rent for me.”

KAT DENNINGS Age: 22. Hometown: Philadelphia. Breakthrough role: Catherine Keener’s daughter in The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Upcoming film: The House Bunny. Number of shoes in your closet? “I would say at this moment a conservative number would be 40 pairs because I’ve gotten rid of a lot. I mean, I’m adding to them, though, sadly, so soon it will be 50 pairs.” Jimmy Choo or Christian Louboutin? “I can’t say that I’ve ever worn either of those. I would love to.” Levi’s or J Brand? Miss Sixty. BlackBerry or iPhone? iPhone. Favorite guy’s guy? “Oh, Viggo Mortensen, obviously. I mean, not obviously, but … ” Justin Timberlake or John Mayer? Justin Timberlake. Rihanna or Carrie Underwood? Rihanna. What’s on your iPod? “Oh, good Lord, what isn’t on my iPod? AC/DC, Mariah Carey, tons of David Bowie, Aerosmith. I have Tchaikovsky, and I have some orchestral scores, like the Amélie soundtrack. Diana Krall; the White Stripes and Queen. Yeah, everything.” Eli Manning or Tom Brady? “I only know who Tom Brady is. I only know that because he’s dating Gisele Bündchen.” Favorite movie?Videodrome. It’s a David Cronenberg movie with James Woods in it and Blondie [Deborah Harry], and it’s bananas.”

source | vanityfair

KEVIN JONAS Age: 20. Hometown: Wyckoff, New Jersey. Big break: Jonas Brothers album (featuring “S.O.S.”), Miley Cyrus–Hannah Montana tour. Upcoming projects: Disney Channel series J.O.N.A.S., Disney Channel movie Camp Rock. First “Hollywood” moment? “Doing Oprah. It was kind of like, ‘Why am I here? What did I do?’ ” Chuck Taylors or Nikes? “I’m more of a dress-shoe, loafer kind of guy.” Levi’s or J Brand? “April 77. They have a special pocket to put your guitar picks in. I’ll throw a pick in there when we’re leaving the house just for the heck of it, ’cause you never know!” BlackBerry or iPhone? “Both!” How many contacts do you have in your BlackBerry? “Sixty? Actually, that’s an exaggeration—probably like 20.” Justin Timberlake or John Mayer? “Justin Timberlake. He was so successful with his clothing line. I would totally do a girls’ line and flip it and say this is what the Jonas Brothers want to see on a girl.” What’s on your iPod? Girls Aloud, Klaxons, Adele, the Kooks, Scouting for Girls. Favorite movie?The Outsiders. It’s my favorite book too.” Girl crush? “Girls Aloud. They’re beautiful.” Do you ever miss a “normal” childhood? “I never went to prom, but it’s, like, whatever. Once you actually ask the girl, then it’s all downhill from there. Or that’s what I’ve heard.”

NICK JONAS Age: 15. First “Hollywood” moment? “Meeting the president was pretty cool.” Style icon? “Elvis Costello. I like his consistency, it’s really cool.” Favorite designer? A.P.C., Phillip Lim. BlackBerry or iPhone? “BlackBerry. I had the iPhone for a little while, but I’m more of a businessman; I wanted to have a phone where I could really actually do things.” What’s on your iPod? “Johnny Cash. I love that songwriting style.” Eli Manning or Tom Brady? “The Giants! It’s so funny how in Jersey it’s completely split down the middle. It’s, like, northern New Jersey always seems like is Yankees/Giants, and south is Jets/Mets. Like, the Jets are green—that’s not even cool.” Favorite movie?Juno. I’ve seen it three times. Ellen Page is super-awesome.” Favorite drink? Sugar-free Red Bull. Favorite snack? “Taco Bell. I get two chalupas and a taco—and it’s awesome.”

JOE JONAS Age: 18. First “Hollywood” moment? “We met Celine Dion at the American Music Awards. She started singing our music, and we’re like, ‘Whoa, that’s Celine Dion!’ ” Inspirations? “Barry Gibb from the Bee Gees. He’s from a brother band, so he’s kind of a mentor to us.” Favorite designer? Alexander McQueen. Chuck Taylors or Nikes? Sperry Top-Sider boat shoes. What’s on your iPod? “House music and weird European bands: Daft Punk, Junior Senior, and Frank Musik. I’m still into that phase where I want to find the band no one’s heard of.” Xbox, Wii, or PlayStation? “We have all three.” Favorite drink? “I cut out soda because I had a movie scene where I was coming out of the ocean, and you watch James Bond and you want to look good. It teaches you discipline.” Hybrid or Escalade? “I don’t have a license! You need like six hours of driving school, and that’s like three weeks in our schedule.”

aww i'm sorry i'm not familiar with these "noble exclusive exquisite" champagnes he still looks drunk to me :innocent::P

amanda is such a cutie and not full of herself like others

Jimmy Choo or Christian Louboutin? “Prada. I don’t have any, but they make a woman’s leg look fantastic.” Favorite designer? “Miu Miu. I can’t afford it, but I love it.”

source | vanityfair

ROB BROWN Age: 24. Hometown: Brooklyn. Breakthrough role: Jamal Wallace in Finding Forrester. Upcoming film: The Express. Number of shoes in your closet? 70. Chuck Taylors or Nikes? “All Nikes and Jordans. I’ve got two pairs of Chuck Taylors.” BlackBerry or iPhone? Treo. Favorite guy’s guy? Shaq. Favorite girl’s girl? “I’ve always loved Mariah. I am openly hating on Nick Cannon right now. I wish … I don’t know, I’ve never met the man, but good job, Nick.” Eli Manning or Tom Brady? Eli Manning. Justin Timberlake or John Mayer? Justin Timberlake. Rihanna or Carrie Underwood? Carrie Underwood. What’s on your iPod? “What’s not on my iPod? I jack all my friends’ music, so I have real random songs.” Style icon? Deion Sanders. Xbox, Wii, or PlayStation? “None, because I’d just play them all day.”

MICHAEL ANGARANO Age: 20. Hometown: Staten Island, New York. Breakthrough role: Sid in Lords of Dogtown. Upcoming film: Gentlemen Broncos. Number of shoes in your closet? “A lot, but a lot of shoes that I don’t wear. A lot of shoes that I’ve accumulated over the last five years that I never wore and never will wear.” Chuck Taylors or Nikes? “Now, Chuck Taylors. I used to be a Nike guy. I kind of changed how I look over the last five years, because I was very Staten Island and so I wore sweatpants and guinea tees and Jordans all of the time. And now I wear these little jeans, like pants and stuff.” BlackBerry or iPhone? “I don’t have either.” Justin Timberlake or John Mayer? Justin Timberlake. Rihanna or Carrie Underwood? Regina Spektor. What’s on your iPod? “All old music. Like really kind of fundamental rock ’n’ roll. Like all Beatles, all Rolling Stones, and Johnny Cash.” Style icon? “I take from a lot of people. I really like Bob Dylan.” Xbox, Wii, or PlayStation? “All three.” Last book you read?An American Dream, by Norman Mailer.” Hybrid or Escalade? Hybrid.

SUMMER BISHIL Age: 20. Hometown: “Bahrain, probably. I lived there the longest.” Breakthrough role: Towelhead, Crossing Over (both upcoming). First “Hollywood” moment? “Um, this is pretty Hollywood.” Number of shoes in your closet? “15, maybe 20.” Jimmy Choo or Christian Louboutin? “I can’t afford either, so I wouldn’t know.” Chuck Taylors or Nikes? Chuck Taylors. Levi’s or J Brand? Lucky Brand. BlackBerry or iPhone? BlackBerry. Justin Timberlake or John Mayer? John Mayer. Rihanna or Carrie Underwood? Rihanna. What’s on your iPod? “Bob Dylan, Radiohead, Cat Power. I have a lot of classical music, too.” Favorite movie? Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Xbox, Wii, or PlayStation? “No, but I want one.”

HUNTER PARRISH Age: 21. Hometown: Plano, Texas. Breakthrough role: Silas Botwin on Showtime’s Weeds. Upcoming project: Seventeen Again. First “Hollywood” moment? “My first premiere, and it was the first movie I was in. It was for Sleepover, and I was like barely in the movie, but, you know, walking down the red carpet and people calling your name and knowing who you are … I hate premieres now, but at that moment I was like, ‘This is amazing!’ ” Number of shoes in your closet? “I think now I have like 20, 25 pair. I have accumulated half of those in the last three months.” Chuck Taylors or Nikes? “Half the Nikes were given to me, but I love Chucks, and I have Jack Purcells and John Varvatos.” Levi’s or J Brand? “I love this brand—it’s called ‘Los Angeles Denim,’ and I can’t say the last word—apparently I say it wrong—but I’m going to say it in my uneducated way: Atelier. It’s ‘A-t-e-l-i-e-r.’ ” BlackBerry or iPhone? “Definitely BlackBerry. Had the iPhone for three months and had to switch back.” Eli Manning or Tom Brady? “I’m so not into sports.” Rihanna or Carrie Underwood? “Gosh, I like them both! [Thinks it over.] I’m obsessed with ‘Umbrella,’ I guess, so maybe Carrie Underwood would be better. It would definitely be Carrie Underwood. I’d like to marry her.” Favorite snack? “Is mac ’n’ cheese considered a snack?”

JOSH PECK Age: 21. Hometown: Hell’s Kitchen, New York City. Breakthrough role: Josh on Nickelodeon’s Drake & Josh. Upcoming film: The Wackness. First “Hollywood” moment? “Other than meeting Johnny Mathis in the parking lot of Koo Koo Roo? I was shooting a movie in Cape Cod and went to Martha’s Vineyard and rented bikes with a friend of mine, and she and I rode bikes for about an hour and we were freezing to death in, like, T-shirts, so I kind of whored myself out to get a ride back from the bike-shop owner so we wouldn’t have to freeze to death. I was like, ‘Your kids wouldn’t want autographs, would they?’ ” Levi’s or J Brand? “Ones that make me thin.” BlackBerry or iPhone? “I own both. But I’m not good at typing on the iPhone.” Eli Manning or Tom Brady? “I’m from New York. I can’t give props to Tom Brady.” Justin Timberlake or John Mayer? “Timberlake, because his ‘body is a wonderland.’ ” What’s on your iPod? “Go-to songs for me: Donny Hathaway singing ‘What’s Going On.’ Um, Gorillaz, ‘Dare,’ because I shower to that, and, uh, Notorious B.I.G., ‘Ten Crack Commandments.’ ” American Idol or Lost?Little People, Big World. That’s my ****. That is my ****!” Style icon? Hunter S. Thompson. Xbox, Wii, or PlayStation? “All three.” Favorite snack? “My mom’s Rice Krispies treats.”

source | vanityfair

RACHAEL TAYLOR Age: 24. Hometown: Launceston, Tasmania. Breakthrough role: Maggie Madsen in Transformers. Upcoming film: Bottle Shock. First “Hollywood” moment? “How about landing on the lawn of the Pentagon in a Black Hawk helicopter? That’ll do it. With Michael Bay screaming on a loudspeaker.” Number of shoes in your closet? 20. Jimmy Choo or Christian Louboutin? Christian Louboutin. Chuck Taylors or Nikes? “Not a sneaker girl, but at a push I’d go Chuck Taylors.” Levi’s or J Brand? Sevens. Style icon? Catherine Deneuve. Favorite designer? “I like the big, the powerhouses … Balenciaga.” BlackBerry or iPhone? BlackBerry. Favorite guy’s guy? “Someone intellectual, I suppose. Like, uh … it sounds completely sleazy, but like a Bill Clinton or like that kind of man—epic man-ness.” Favorite girl’s girl? Tina Fey. Favorite movie? “Anything by Almodóvar.”

JONAH HILL Age: 24. Hometown: Cheviot Hills, California. Breakthrough role: Seth in Superbad. Upcoming films: This Side of Truth, How to Train Your Dragon. Number of shoes in your closet? “When I was younger, [I had] a lot more. I used to be way into, like, Dunks, like Nike sneakers and stuff like that. As I got older, I kind of was just like, ‘Oh, I just kind of need shoes to walk around and play sports in and ****.’ ” Chuck Taylors or Nikes? “I’ll give New Balance a shout-out. Hopefully they’ll send me some free ****.” Style icon? “I’ll put Jason Schwartzman. He’ll get a kick out of that.” BlackBerry or iPhone? “I love iPhone because I listen to music constantly.” Justin Timberlake or John Mayer? “Just say, ‘We tried to ask him this question and the only thing he would say is “Public Enemy.” ’ ” What’s on your iPod? “Daniel Johnston; Pet Sounds, by the Beach Boys; Caribou; Arcade Fire.” Favorite movie?Broadcast News, The Big Lebowski, Defending Your Life, The Last Detail, Boogie Nights. I love Paul Thomas Anderson.” Xbox, Wii, or PlayStation? “All three.” Favorite drink? Mint julep. Last book you read? The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.

AMBER HEARD Age: 22. Hometown: Austin, Texas. Breakthrough role: Maria in the film Friday Night Lights. Upcoming films: Pineapple Express, The Informers, The Stepfather. Number of shoes in your closet? “About 16,000 more than I should have paid for in the first place.” Jimmy Choo or Christian Louboutin? “Louboutin for the afternoon and Jimmy Choo for the night. One for going to the grocery store and one for doing the grocery-store run after you’ve partied.” Chuck Taylors or Nikes? “Neither one. Unless they start making heels.” Favorite accessory? “My brain when it works.” Style icon?Moi. Y.S.L. Oh, Alexander McQueen.” BlackBerry or iPhone? iPhone. What’s on your iPod? “Nothing made past 1979.” Favorite movie? Natural Born Killers, Pulp Fiction. Favorite drink? “Anything that can be either shaken or stirred." Favorite snack? "The olive afterwards."

I don't like any of these young Hollywood stars :huh:

no Scarlett Johannesson, Natalie Portman or Keira Knightley? :huh:

no Scarlett Johannesson, Natalie Portman or Keira Knightley? :huh:
How are they "Hollywoods Next Wave"?:blink:Why would any of them be on this cover?Thank god they are not, even though i dont know many of these kids, its nice to see unkown faces like this.

^they would be hollywood's next wave because they are the next big thing..to be the next big thing doesn't necessarily mean you have to be unknown :huh: :hardhead:

^^No they are not, all of the women that you mentioned have alerdy made it big, this is not about that...its about up and coming faces something VF always does, and the women you mentioned alredy had their turn, a great share of it, and i am sick of seeing Keira everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel old. I only know a few of these people. Blake Lively can't act. She bugs me

wow if this is hollywoods next wave then we're in trouble...

everyone listed is so mediocore. gossip girl isn't even a great show... i wish they featured the kids from friday night lights instead. now that's a good teen drama.

I think they meant to include people who are known for actually working, not for being tabloid darlings or scandalous. I guess that's why we wouldn't know who everyone is....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiekar
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->