2010 MET Costume Institute Gala : The American Woman

WORST; Maggie Gylenhaal. OMG i almost screamed when i saw her face/chest. Literally. I mean........its not so much the outfit its like the overall 'look'. I cant even!!!

BEST; Blake Lively in Marchesa. Not that original but she looked really beautiful and what more can you want? Youth and Beauty - its a winner!

first picture of Marc with his baseball cap? too cute
leighton-marc.jpg

wwd.com

wwd.com

Jude and Sienna are so beautiful together
jude-sienna.jpg
kate-bosworth.jpg

kristen-marion.jpg
lady-gaga.jpg

laura-kate.jpg
leigh-olivier.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went through 81 pages of this thread, and it was honestly disappointing. The models (and Sienna Miller) really saved this from absolute disaster. Natasha Poly and Jessica Stam were my favourites, I think. I also really liked Liu Wen, Ale, KK, Lily D, and Charlotte Gainsbourg.

This gala has turned into a joke. If the Olsen sisters (easily the most influential tastemakers that America has seen in the past five or so years) don't attend, the event might as well be cancelled.

Aside from the bad outfits, I'd like to acknowledge what a stunner Mila Kunis is. She is the most beautiful actress of her generation.

Our beloved original Super Naomi Campbell just doesn't age, does she? She looks even better than her 20-something y.o. successors.

Any pics of Lauren and Tatiana Santo Domingo, and Eugenie Niarchos?
The thread has become so long that i can't find pictures.

Edit: I just found some in 81 page. They were in the after party?

Last edited by a moderator:
^i posted most of the outfits in HQ on Page 80 but you can also view most of the images posted on Style.com and WWD

Again it is symptomatic for our time that every celeb around relies on designers and not custom made / bespoke clothing, no wonder we miss real style icons!

And of cause it’s even more disappointing how they can fail on basics like proportions/colors etc. besides personal assistants.

I am going to be the voice of dissent among a chorus of condemnation but I actually loved this year event.

Firstly, I do not understand the complains about the attendee not respecting the theme. I had low expectation when it came to the attendee sticking to the theme but I was presently surprised.

To give a few examples:
Capote's Swan :heart:

124c3l4.jpg

Studio 54

2dc7top.jpg
1582uti.jpg

Dynasty Style

mlp8ua.jpg
dqnehl.jpg

Silent Era Actress

1zq9g7n.jpg

50s style

xpoc9v.jpg
2ntjwxg.jpg

Grace Kelly style

2dk9weo.jpg

Golden Age of Hollywood

214r3pe.jpg
9jhfsg.jpg

This is just a small selection but all of these gowns correspond to iconic American style moments. The theme was well respected.

Secondly, this is in my view the best Met red carpet since Poiret in 2007. Last year (model as a muse) was a mess and the year before (superhero) had a few stand outs but so many atrocities. This year, most people actually looked good, which is a step forward. Apart from Kristen and Janet, there was no hideous mess.

Photos: style.com, zimbio.com, vogue.co.uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->