Vanity Fair March 2011 : The Hollywood Issue by Norman Jean Roy

The actors that Hollywood now considers A-list these days are kind of D-list in my book. Anne Hathaway is rubbish, Ryan Reynolds sucks, Rashida Jones is rubbish (really? the actress in 'I Love You Man'?), even Mila Kunis won't be in another really great movie again, I guarantee it. With the exception of Noomi, this looks like a cover of Hollywood's most OVERRATED actors.

Where is Michelle Williams? Natalie Portman? Ryan Gosling? Tom Hardy?

My favorite part though is Robert Duvall in the back. Haha, totally cracked me up.

Robert Duvall as the bartender - who's seen many a young star pass through the saloon in his lifetime - and his clientele, who are more interested in posing than paying attention to him, even though he's the one who really knows the score.

Natalie's not there because she's pregnant. I don't get what people find so hard to understand about not having a pregnant actress on a "sexy young Hollywood" issue of Vanity Fair. :rolleyes:

If she was on the cover I bet we'd be hearing complaints about how skanky she looks, etc.

The actors that Hollywood now considers A-list these days are kind of D-list in my book. Anne Hathaway is rubbish, Ryan Reynolds sucks, Rashida Jones is rubbish (really? the actress in 'I Love You Man'?), even Mila Kunis won't be in another really great movie again, I guarantee it. With the exception of Noomi, this looks like a cover of Hollywood's most OVERRATED actors.

no publicist in their right mind would allow their client to pose in one of these group shots when they have a shot at nabbing a full-fledged cover of their own. michelle williams, natalie portman, and ryan gosling all could earn covers of their own given the right hollywood vehicle.

also, i'm not so sure tom hardy represents 'young hollywood' as they want to portray here.

with respect to race, one must consider that HOLLYWOOD has a race problem, not just vanity fair. last year, the exclusion of zoe saldana did not make sense and shined a light on this issue. but realisitically, it's a symptom of a larger problem in tinseltown.

..and how exactly is Duvall representing young Hollywood? sorry, i just had to. :rofl:

the age difference between JGL, Jake, James,Ryan opposed to Hardy's is from 0 to 3 years. i might be the only one but from my perspective he's as fresh as it gets opposed to lets say Ryan or Jake and judging by his future projects he ain't going anywhere so soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhh.... so excited to see Anne Hathaway, Jesse Eisenberg, and Joseph Gordon Levitt- I will buy it just because the three of them are on the cover! <3

However, I am slightly peeved that very few people of color even made the cover. Why must Hollywood be so narrow minded? This isn't just Vanity Fair's fault, they obviously want to sell issues, but its a on a larger scale as well. Its Hollywood as a whole. Its also not just about race but also women in Hollywood are often misrepresented/not-represented or their are very few who have gotten good roles (or even to take it a step further, women behind the scenes, very few female directors, writers, etc). So yes, while their are several women on the issue only one is actually on the front cover, the first part which the reader will see. The ratio of female to male's on the cover is 6 to 9. Plus a baby cheetah too (who by the looks of it is filling in where someone of a different race could have gone!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Javier Bardem is spanish, Noomie is representing europeans on the cover. My question again, which hispanic actor did something of relevance last year? I still can´t think of anyone. I don´t know who´s the african american actor on the cover, did he do something important?
I mean, I hate when the media go all demagogic. I don´t think VF is to blame, it´s only reflecting a reality. In any case, maybe not even HW is to blame but the audience...

the age difference between JGL, Jake, James,Ryan opposed to Hardy's is from 0 to 3 years. i might be the only one but from my perspective he's as fresh as it gets opposed to lets say Ryan or Jake and judging by his future projects he ain't going anywhere so soon.

I don't think mikeijames was referencing age when he said Tom Hardy isn't the Young Hollywood they want to represent.

oh, you mean, considering his past?
i dunno, it's not one of the things out there when there's talk about him that strikes much, but that's just me.

Personally I seriously believe that they choose who they think represents whats 'hot' right now and they don't always get it anywhere near right, but they have a good go. Never gonna please everyone anyway.......folks always gonna have their favourites and when the don't feature, their not happy.

Anyhow I can't wait to get this edition.....always love the 'Hollywood Issue', and that's one bunch of sexy people propping up the bar. Noomi Rapace really stands out for me. Maybe it is to do with the way she is styled, but she is just so much more interesting and mysterious than the others. Mila Kunis quite simple looks hot and JGL looks so dapper, cool and nonchalant.

Javier Bardem is spanish, Noomie is representing europeans on the cover. My question again, which hispanic actor did something of relevance last year? I still can´t think of anyone. I don´t know who´s the african american actor on the cover, did he do something important?
I mean, I hate when the media go all demagogic. I don´t think VF is to blame, it´s only reflecting a reality. In any case, maybe not even HW is to blame but the audience...
Anthony Mackie was in The Hurt Locker but I don't think he was in anything of note last year. Perhaps he has a big film coming up this year?

Michelle Williams? Natalie Portman? Ryan Gosling? fall along the lines of overrated imo. i mean they've all definitely had their fair share of the hollywood spotlight and media blizting.

Noomi Rapace landing the (inside cover) on the other hand, is unexpected and well deserved. and she looks stunning from what I've seen. perhaps more fitting but i'm glad to see Noomi and not that joke of a Salander:innocent:

I know,...
atleast the didn't include Megan Fox,...
but I like that guy from Inception

no publicist in their right mind would allow their client to pose in one of these group shots when they have a shot at nabbing a full-fledged cover of their own. michelle williams, natalie portman, and ryan gosling all could earn covers of their own given the right hollywood vehicle.

I see your point. I could totally see Natalie on a future Vanity Fair cover with her pregnant belly hanging out à la Demi. :innocent: She's got like 5 films out this year to promote, anyway. It could happen.

As for the race thing, Vanity Fair is merely reflecting Hollywood itself. Who was left out that should have been on here?

Some that I can think of off the top of my head:

Max Minghella - The Social Network
Oscar Isaac - Robin Hood
Zoe Kravitz - It's Kind Of a Funny Story
Tessa Thompson - For Colored Girls
Jaden Smith - The Karate Kid :ninja:

These are just a few that have put in impressive performances this past year and are poised to have a pretty busy 2011, if they're lucky. :flower:

all this talk about racial diversity made me think of latin or african american people starring in big HW movies last year, can´t think of anyone. Who should have been there?
Michelle Rodriguez? :huh:
I don't know any latino actors and actresses that are "Hollywood" enough for Vanity Fair
I heard 'Four Lions',(UK) with a multi-racial cast, but then again, it's not a Hollywood movie,...
also 'The Secret in Their Eyes' was good (Argentinian movie) and "Biutiful" (Mexico/Spain) were great movies

a Hollywood movie I heard good things about was 'Waiting for 'Superman, most of the cast is black and latino and other races
they are great actors and actresses of all races, is just the are just not as commercial or successful because its Hollywood and the would rather make 10 movies with Tom Cruise or Jennifer Aniston, than with 1 good movie with Edward Norton or any respectable actor or actress,...

they choose the cashable "movie stars" that look nice in clothes for the cover, well most of them anyway. Ryan Reynolds :lol::lol::lol:

Re the "race thing". I agree that diversity is good, but why create artificial diversity just for the sake of it? I've read some of the names of black/latino actors that people have suggested and I have to say, if those are the best options out there then it's no wonder none of them were picked because none of them deserve to be on the cover.

Everyone on that cover is either a major star already (Anne, Jake, Ryan, James) or played a major part in a critics/box office hit. The only two that don't make sense are Anthony Mackie (but I loved him The Hurt Locker so he's alright in my book) and the biggest question mark is Rashida Jones. All the minority names mentioned here as contenders have all played minor characters in some hit movies and some weren't even in hit movies. Jaden Smith isn't even an option, he's a kid.

The campaign should be to get more minority actors/actresses to breakthrough not to force them onto a major cover just for the sake of status quo.

why is ryan renolds in this picture? he's a funny actor, but hasn't done anything spectacular yet..

why is ryan renolds in this picture? he's a funny actor, but hasn't done anything spectacular yet..

really? do you think he's funny?!

he's just a handsome and really HOT! actor but that's it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->