Vanity Fair March 2024 : The Hollywood Issue by Gordon von Steiner

Love it, much better than what W gives us for their hollywood showcases. Would have preffered a different dress on Natalie though.

Superb cover :heart: they all look stunning, glamorous, sultry. THIS is what I love seeing in magazines:
- perfection and loads of glamour
- high end fashion brands on famous talented people
- interesting video
It's all witty, well thought and it's clearly well done : congratulations to everyone involved. Great job.

it’s a really good cover and Natalie is coming through! the versatility of this woman will always astonish me!
she is incredible!

the cast is very solid, everyone looks good!

I don’t even mind the cheekiness of Barry’s nudity. if he’s having a laugh and is comfortable with it, all good!
will definitely get this one.

Kiki looks like the victim of a carbon monoxide leak there.

Hollywood has fallen so far. Aside from Natalie and Bradley, who are these people??

I mean…I know who they are kinda…but wow. “Star Power” is clearly a thing of the past.

It doesn't help when the image has all the grandeur of a queue at a refreshments counter - even providing a chair from the cafe just in case anyone can't stand for too long.

I'm happy to see Da'vine Joy Randolph here, I've been loving her commitment to glamour on the red carpet, but it looks like she's had to dress down for this shoot, not sure about it, but I'll take it.

As for the actual cover, where the men get to wear sharp suits while Natalie wears a piece of fabric that looks like it's about to drop off...

This Hollywood shoot will probably get reprinted as this month's French Vanity Fair, and then as next month's Spanish Vanity Fair, so I'll get to keep on loving this cover for months.

Or maybe they are not huge huge like Meryl, Tom Hanks, Clooney, etc. I want to believe that. But VF always featured the faces of the award season. I'm surprised counting all the covers is getting Barry here. Of the bunch, he must be the one actor that achived more over the last months. I didn't saw Saltburn yet, but I read that isn't such a great movie. It's only getting a cult following. Now let's see if Barry scores a Vogue cover alone or with some girl, and his portfolio will be complete, ha. Jacob isn't having the same publicity as him.

For comparison, here's the Hollywood cover from ten years ago (from vanityfair.com)

VFUS1403.jpg

In 2014: "Oscar nominees Julia Roberts (August: Osage County), Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave), Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club), and Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave), as well as Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom), George Clooney (Gravity), Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station), Naomie Harris (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom), Brie Larson (Short Term 12), Chadwick Boseman (42), Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street), and Léa Seydoux (Blue Is the Warmest Color)."

In their own description of the 2024 cover, Vanity Fair said of some of the faces: "You’ll find character actors long recognized but once tougher to place".

For comparison, here's the Hollywood cover from ten years ago (from vanityfair.com)

View attachment 1251478

In 2014: "Oscar nominees Julia Roberts (August: Osage County), Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave), Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club), and Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave), as well as Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom), George Clooney (Gravity), Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station), Naomie Harris (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom), Brie Larson (Short Term 12), Chadwick Boseman (42), Margot Robbie (The Wolf of Wall Street), and Léa Seydoux (Blue Is the Warmest Color)."

In their own description of the 2024 cover, Vanity Fair said of some of the faces: "You’ll find character actors long recognized but once tougher to place".
Gorgeous Leibovitz composition. No one can photograph celebs like her (Mario was close). That one was a year or a couple of the three arms/legs cover. Everything changed ever since. The other fact is this was made under Graydon years.

There's a shot inside with Sofia Coppola and her muses (except Scarlett) by Annie Leibovitz.

People acting like this cover has a bunch of nobodies on it is… interesting. I’ve barely followed awards seasons for the past few years, and even I know what films/tv shows the featured actors are from.

Everyone's different - I know most of the names on the cover from following the media, but haven't had the chance to watch any of their most recent work. I just don't have the time to watch the same hours of TV/film as I once did.

This week's Italian Vanity Fair is their Hollywood issue, so they're running some of the content earlier than the US edition...

Remember how UK Vogue's big cover story extravaganza was really page after page of people being photographed in a corridor? Going by this isdue of VF Italia, the Hollywood portfolio cover story is just shot after shot of the group getting ready or standing about in front of the white background.

Hollywood has fallen so far. Aside from Natalie and Bradley, who are these people??
It's just a new generation of stars, we can't cling onto the same celebs over and over again until they reach their seventies. They all do have a lot of shows and movies running now, Greta Lee also just had a Loewe campaign.

That said, I find the "because they are not white" comment ridiculous, why TFS people always have to bring the race where it has never been brought up in the thread, is this saltiness going to last forever now, really? People like my parents also have no idea who any of these people are, even including white Bradley Cooper and white Jodie Comer, because they don't bother to know of watch about current pop culture anymore.

Well, why have people on tFS historically gotten upset at the amount of non-white models/cover stars? Come on.... let's not pretend that it doesn't and hasn't happened.

Well, why have people on tFS historically gotten upset at the amount of non-white models/cover stars? Come on.... let's not pretend that it doesn't and hasn't happened.
The fact is that race is now one of the (if not THE) central cultural issue in America now (at least from my viewpoint living between NYC and CA), and so it has become an inescapable topic in all facets of life here -- media, tech, politics, etc. Everything is seen through the prism of race.

Just offering some personal insight as to why it's always brought up, whichever side one is on. It is really unfortunate, and I wish we could just discuss things on merit and what everyone brings to the table and not bring race into every single discussion, but hopefully this moment will pass soon, as I think it's totally destructive and divides us as a country. (Note, I'm just talking about America here, and VF is an American magazine. I have no idea what it's like elsewhere).

p.s. I'm not white.

The digital copy of the UK version has turned up today - 136 pages. The cover story is the same as seen in VF Italia, just shots of the actors messing around in front of a white background or backstage, getting ready.

The Power & The Glory is a long portfolio of "LA's most influential characters" and opens with Kris Jenner, then Ava DuVernay, Mark Ronson, Miky Lee, Casey Wasserman, Kirsten Dunst, Elle Fanning, Sofia Coppola and Cailee Spaeny (all four in one image), Jane Fonda, Donna Langley, Evan Funke, Gabe Doppelt, Dimitri Dimitrov, Jeff Klein and Michael Chow (all five in one shot), Rich Paul, The Writers Guild of American, Nicole Avant, Jon Batiste, and Fran Drescher. The photographers are Mark Seliger, Norman Jean Roy and Art Streiber.

The articles - is anyone interested? - are quite varied but aren't really very Hollywood. The back page Proust Questionnaire is Jodie Foster.

I've mentioned elsewhere, I feel Vanity Fair has been one of the magazines most affected by the recent strikes, there just isn't any real heft to these issues anymore.

Photo Landon Nordeman
Stylist George Cortino
Cast Bradley Cooper, Natalie Portman, Pedro Pascal, Colman Domingo, Jodie Comer, Lily Gladstone, Greta Lee, Charles Melton, Jenna Ortega, Barry Keoghan

vanity fair

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->