Vintage Scan Wish Lists

@BLtheKid Can you perhaps takes some photos of this in-depth process? It'd be nice to have some image breaks with the walls of text :magic: you should start a blog or some online outlet to document your search :flower:

Does anyone have Shalom Harlow in that lacy gold Chanel dress channeling Coco Chanel posing with her arms crossed (?) against a white wall? It ran in Harper's Bazaar c 96 and believe was shot by Demarchelier?

Sure, I'll try to take a few photos on Tuesday. Pushing all the chips to the center of the table with this bet on Mirabella...

I will be calling LA on Monday so that they have all of the issues of Mirabella, In Fashion, Vogue Paris, Vogue Italia, Mademoiselle and Elle waiting for me on a cart already when I get there.

I think I can get through all of those and maybe even eat lunch too if things go well...

Well, it turned out that I came up very short on the pictures.

Here is a shot of the library as I approached:

100_0670.jpg

And then, after taking the escalator up to the third floor, you can see the sign for the Art and Recreation Department (where they will bring all the archived fashion magazines out for you to look at:(

100_0671.jpg

I was expecting everything I asked for to be on a cart like last time and I was going to take a picture of that from above but it wasn't nice and neat like that - instead I just ended up having bound stacks of issues just piled up all over the table and it didn't seem like it would make much of a picture. So, the next thing I knew, the camera was put away and I started going through all of the issues.

I got there about 10:20 and looked at issues straight through with no break until I left at 5:15 to head back to the airport.

I started with trying to find the two photos that were less-important to me (because I thought I had enough time to do everything). One was from In Fashion and I looked through the issues (using Table of Contents as a guide) that LA had (1987-89) and didn't find it - in the back of my mind I was kind of feeling it was 50/50 that the photo was from 1985-86 (I believe the New York Public Library is the only library in the country that has these issues).

Then I flipped kind of haphazardly and quickly through the 1985-86 issues of Vogue Paris (LA was missing at least one-quarter of the issues) - this was kind of a self-defeating exercise because while I'm sure of the time frame, there is some possibility that the photo came from either Vogue Italia or Vogue UK. Plus, I couldn't use the Table of Contents as a guide because I only know a little bit of French. Not to mention, I also began to wonder if the photo was part of a fashion editorial or perhaps it was an advertising spread instead. And it's hard to just flip through these issues of Vogue Paris - they're a little oversized and it's not easy to do quickly.

If these two photos were in the top-third of my collection, I'd grind through and find them at some point but since they're not, I'm just going to let these two go.

The primary purpose of my visit was to find the photo I've looked for in at least 700 issues of - in rough order, Harper's Bazaar, Elle, Mademoiselle and Vogue.

I decide to get to the main event and I start from the beginning going through all of the issues of Mirabella that LA has. The magazine printed from June 1989 until 2000 (the last issue LA had was May, not sure if that was the real last one or not). One problem is that LA was missing nine issues, leaving open the obvious possibility that I may have the right magazine but have my photo ending up in one of the missing issues.

As I'm going through, it's feeling to me as though Mirabella is where my photo was and is. I had that feeling all day long. For "fun", I make a guess that I'm going to find it in June 1991. Well, I get that far and it's not there yet. Then there is a span from August-December 1991 that is missing (high-risk since it's in a high-probability year but low-risk in that I don't think my photo is in the fall/winter cycle of months). But still, you never know.

The very next month - January 1992 - the Table of Contents changes to a different format, one that feels more familiar. But, the months keep rolling by. Eventually, I start asking for more Mirabella to be brought out - a year more here, two more years there. With some missing months in-between. April 1994. July 1994. February 1995. June through August in 1995 but there is a letter from the editor (Grace Mirabella) in September 1995 indicating the magazine had barely survived (so maybe Jun-Aug 1995 simply don't exist). For awhile, Mirabella combined two months into one. Missing Jan/Feb 1997. I end up getting all the way through to the end and don't find my photo.

But, I have to tell you, this is where I think it is. I finally got the Table of Contents for Aug-Dec 1991 back from the Denver Public Library today and can rule those out. I just put in a request today for Apr 1994, July 1994 and February 1995. Even though the odds are very much against, I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up being in one of these issues.

About the only success I had was getting better scans from two photos from Vogue Italia March 1984 and another from Elle January 1993 (plus I scanned a new photo from Mirabella for possible consideration into my collection).

I also looked through all of Mademoiselle 1986 and the months LA had for 1987 (remember a lot of the photos but didn't come across any to possibly add).

So, at this point, I will wait to get Table of Contents back. If not there, I may at some point even look at Mirabella again but extra-carefully. Lesser possibilities (Glamour, Marie Claire, Elle-again).

The Fashion Gods have shown that they are very angry with me for getting rid of my original and unique physical collection years ago and are testing me to my very limits!

^ Ah I see what you do! I always speed up onto the second escalator but you turn left in the middle. I'll take a detour next time. I wish I knew exactly what to look for and take snaps. Hours fly in that place and I assume even more so looking at old fashion magazines with a purpose.

When are you scheduling the next (and hopefully final) part of this magazine mystery? sorry I was a bit flaky in the previous episode lol. I enjoy meeting other tFSers for the most part (had a walk with my favorite one a few blocks from there a little over a month ago!), I just need alarms/alerts/reminders for everything I want to do apparently!

Also for lunch: 85 bakery about a block from that entrance you used! good and small enough to remain focused and not waste a lot of time.

When are you scheduling the next (and hopefully final) part of this magazine mystery?

I've just been dealt a bitter and cruel loss once again. It almost can't even be believed.

I finally got from FIT the Table of Contents for Mirabella (April 1994, July 1994, February 1995 and Jan/Feb 1997). I was really hopeful that my photo would be in one of the 1994 issues in particular but nothing from the TOC looks like a realistic possibility. I honestly thought it was going to be in one of these issues because these were the most likely possibilities of magazines that I haven't looked directly at or gotten the TOC from previously.

If there is any positive right now, I'm pretty sure the photo is somewhere in the period between January 1991 and August 1995 - at least cut in half from what I've been considering as possible.

Perhaps it could be in Marie Claire in either 1994 or 1995 (thankfully, the U.S. version didn't even exist before then) - but I've seen a couple of the early covers and it looked more like a magazine with a lot of weird headlines/stories than anything else (so, why would I ever have even skimmed through it?).

Glamour - that's another one where you could say, "Why would I even look at it?" Fashion wasn't/isn't their focus and their covers were never anything worthwhile either. I got a lot of TOC (but only a small portion to give me an idea) and it doesn't seem to me my photo would have come from here. But, I may be forced to look at this - not sure what to do right now.

It seems more likely to me that it is somehow in one of the magazines that I already looked at - such as maybe it was in an editorial that I never even looked at because a read of the TOC made me not even look at that particular editorial. I felt I would instantly recognize the editorial when I came across it in the TOC but now I'm wondering if the description in the TOC was just very general and made me miss it.

I wish I had a friend who was a police sketch artist - then I would simply post the sketch here and someone would recognize the photo or at least the model and this situation would be resolved!

This is very bad. :( And very unfair! :angry:

Is there anyone out there near a big-city library that has Elle (U.S.) from 1989-1991 and able to help me in looking for my photo in Jan-Aug for those years?

This is the one significant gap of issues that I haven't been able to personally look at.

I might post something in the Rachel Williams thread to see if anyone recognizes my description of the photo I'm looking for - I can totally see it being her...

I tried to find the cover story of US Vogue January 1999,Jewel by Steven Meisel.Does anyone have scans?

In my search for the photo referenced in post #335 of this thread, I think we can only say that despite considerable effort over the past seven months, I badly lost round 1.

But, hope springs once again as the bell has sounded for round 2.

I present a photo in my collection that may finally light the way:

Gabrielle Reece
Elle U.S. January 1993
Gilles Bensimon

gabrielle reece elle 01-93 gilles bensimon.jpg

What is significant about this photo is I found this one at a time where I hadn't found anything for awhile. Which is exactly the same circumstance surrounding the photo that I am looking for as well. A big question is, which of these two photos came first?

The more I think about it, it's very likely the photo that I am looking for came first, so I am now thinking it almost has to be in the period from 1989-1992. The confusing part is that I did find three photos in late 1989 to late 1990 but they were all covers. Meaning, you don't really find those, they are right in your face as opposed to flipping through a magazine and then coming across something that you like. That said, I guess I would still say that 1990 is unlikely but possible. I'm now thinking the best bet is 1989 (really the earliest year my photo could be in, I think there is almost no chance it could be even a year earlier, given that I found this in December 1987:

Christy Turlington
Elle U.S. December 1987
Gilles Bensimon

christy turlington elle 12-87 gilles bensimon.jpg

So, where does that leave me?

Well, as previously stated, I'm almost positive the photo is between January-August (don't really think August but looking at that just in case). I seem to remember finding it in the spring or perhaps early summer (my best guess is April-June, I also remember it wasn't in a large issue, such as March often is).

Anyway, in the past couple of weeks I went to the U of A library a couple of times and looked at Harper's Bazaar and Vogue AGAIN for January-August for all years 1988-1995. I think I am finally going to have to put those two to bed. My very first guess back in September was Harper's Bazaar 1990-1995 - the 80's-90's turn-of-the-decade Table of Contents format looked so familiar but I have to admit the actual photography within the magazine itself probably fits less than any of the magazines that I have looked at. I mostly doubted my photo was in Vogue because it seemed to me that my photo came from somewhere that I didn't get many - or maybe even ANY others from.

Since those last two visits, I came to the conclusion that I need to look from 1989-1992, not 1991-1995. What's good about the earlier time period, is that it means I almost certainly bought the magazine from a corner grocery store in Brooklyn (as opposed to say an international magazine shop in Manhattan), meaning I think I can definitively rule out my photo came from a foreign magazine (I was fearing something from the UK). And can also rule out the always-unlikely-anyway Marie Claire U.S. as that didn't even begin until 1994.

In alphabetical order, here's what's left: Cosmopolitan, Elle, Glamour, Mademoiselle, Mirabella.

From least to most likely:

5) Mademoiselle: I've looked at this twice already. The one X-factor is it's always possible that I somehow passed over my photo already but my current feeling is it's that I have (amazingly) managed not to find the right magazine yet. If worse comes to worse, I will take one more pass at this, but setting this aside for now.

4) Mirabella: Just looked at all issues that LA had of this in late February - the good thing is that LA actually had ALL of the issues that are in the time period I am now considering. Still the small worry that I didn't look at a particular fashion editorial because the Table of Contents description didn't seem right though. Regardless, also setting this aside for now.

3) Cosmopolitan: I am adding this to my list for the very first time. I just think I would remember if I had gotten it from here. It's not a usual suspect. If 1994-1995 I'd say no way - but in 1989 I might still have flipped through this on occasion. What this has going for it is that I haven't looked at this at all, so it's at least possible. The U of A also has this as part of some Women's Magazine Database so I can actually look at these locally without making any kind of trip. So, within the next few days or weeks, this is the first thing I'm going to do. I don't expect to find it here. Either it will be or I will rule it out before taking more drastic measures.

2) Elle: This was second on my list at the very beginning - we find it here again now. When I went to LA in October, I looked at all issues from 1992-2001. So, that leaves the 1989-1991 issues currently right in the wheelhouse as still unlooked at. This is a problem as I'm not sure if anyone outside of the Fashion Institute of Technology or the New York Public Library even has this. I don't love spending close to $300 on a round-trip (not even overnight) to New York but probably even worse is the travelling time of 7-8 hours each way. I had gotten the Table of Contents for Elle from 1989-1991 (May 1989 missing though!) and nothing seemed to fit quite right - I have to review those again and reconsider. I can't quite get it out of my head that the model is Rachel Williams and sure enough, she's on the cover of the January 1989 issue... If everything else doesn't pan out, I will have to get a look at these issues one way or another.

1) Glamour: This was my fifth consideration before I set this aside in favor of Mirabella being more likely. I had gotten Table of Contents for various months and years and the format didn't seem quite right to me. In the period I'm now considering, I had gotten TOC for 1990, 1991 and Apr-Aug 1992. I had a request out there for 1989 but cancelled it when I shifted focus. That is now my best guess on where my photo is. This is similar to Cosmopolitan - if we were talking mid-90's there's no way I'd have still been looking at this but in 1989 it wouldn't be extremely surprising. It fits with getting a photo from somewhere I didn't usually get photos from - I have no other photos from Glamour. Arizona State University has Glamour on microfilm for 1989-1990 and the physical magazines for 1991-1992. They need five business days notice to get the magazines out of their archives - I will set up a trip to Phoenix once I see what happens with Cosmopolitan.

My guess where the fashion editorial was shot: either the Mediterranean or Adriatic Sea.

On pages 126-132 of the magazine (if I ever find it, we'll see how close I come).

Well, I decided not to delay and checked out (and ruled out) Cosmopolitan today.

The one thing that was nice about today's process is the database for Cosmopolitan was actually very useful - the only thing I had to do was put in the month/year and check off the boxes for "Table of Contents" and "Fashion" and that's exactly what shows up in the search. Contrast that with either Vogue or Harper's Bazaar - the same type of search parameters exist for those but something about it doesn't work right.

So, it took me only a half-hour to look at Jan-Aug for 1989-1993 (I think I might have looked at 1994 also). I probably should have looked at 1988 and 1995 and also looked at Sep-Dec for all years because it really wouldn't have been that difficult but I really don't think it is in Cosmo (and never really did but just had to make sure).

Thinking about everything, I have to presume my photo is not in a magazine that I've actually looked at, so I'm removing Mademoiselle from my list of possibilities and will keep Mirabella as only a slight possibility (to be considered for the 1994-1995 period if I don't find anything in from 1989-1992).

So:
3) Mirabella (but not likely)
2) Elle (possibly in 1989-1991 issues that I haven't looked at, I have to re-review TOC)
1) Glamour (unbelievably, I really think my photo is here)

My next move is probably to go to Arizona State to look at Glamour sometime in the next two weeks.

Well.

It may turn out to be in my imagination only, but it appears my search is going to go in a new and surprising direction.

Looking at the Table of Contents that I have for Glamour, I really don't think my photo is there. So, I am holding off on the trip I was going to make to the ASU library on Thursday - unless it turns out not to be where I now think it is.

Where is it, then?

It looks like it is not even in the U.S. As in, not even available in any library in the U.S. FIT does have it, but not in the time period I am looking for.

I think it is in Marie Claire UK.

I have just requested the National Library of Scotland to send me a quote for a pdf file supplying me with the Marie Claire UK Table of Contents for February-July for 1989-1992. Should be about $45 USD. I think my photo is going to be there - hopefully I will be able to pick out the editorial from the TOC.

The drama continues to unfold...

I was sure it was in Marie Claire UK but now a fly is in the ointment...Elle UK!

I decided to look on Google and found this TOC from Elle UK July 1991...to be honest, this TOC has a look generally similar to what Harper's Bazaar had at the turn of this decade that originally made me think my photo came from there.

It's definitely could still be in Marie Claire UK but I'm probably leaning toward Elle UK now.

I'll probably take a look at what's on tFS and Bellazon from Elle UK, just in case my photo happens to be there already.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I saw the TOC below before but never knew it was from Elle UK (thought it was from Elle US that I was already looking at anyway!).

09f1d80827036a1b1417bb767b6e6e44--magazine-contents-content-page.jpg

Does anyone have any Elle UK from 1989-1992 and could scan the Table of Contents for me and post here or send to me directly? If it is a Table of Contents with the same format as above, it's possible that issue contains the photo I'm looking for. If it's not similar, that will narrow the time frame that I have to concentrate on. So, even if you have something outside the period I'm talking about and the TOC doesn't look the same, that would be a confirmation as well.

I'm going to eventually pay the University of Oxford to send me some Elle UK TOC - but maybe I can at least narrow down what I need to ask them for if I have any luck here...

Well, I got back 20 of the 28 Elle UK TOC for Jan-July from 1989-1992 but I don't believe my photo is in any of these issues. Or is it that I won't be able to recognize it from the TOC? - that's the problem.

One thing I am thinking about is if anyone lives in or near London or Oxford and would help me out by going to the British Library or the University of Oxford library and finding my photo, I would pay a small fee for that. That would just be a bonus, you could be looking at all these early 1990's of Elle UK and scanning a few photos for yourself while you were there...:smile:

Has anyone got scans of an early to mid '00 W mag editorial shot by I&V? I remember a bruneutte, wavy 80s coiffed Trish Goff rocking a Moschino Mare floral print jumpsuit and from that same ed a head shot of Amber V sporting clumpy lashes wearing a preppy, boonie hat type hat?

I held onto my battered tearsheets from this ed for many years but I think my crazy ex threw out the vast majority of my tearsheets, including this ed along with giant collectiom of 90s magazines AND magazine cut outs :furious:.

As per my boxing analogy at the beginning of post #368, I have stumbled to my corner at the end of round 2, barely able to continue the fight...certainly badly behind on points and now needing a knockout in the final round to pull this out.

For May, June and July, I have been looking through (remotely, with a lot of help) Elle UK, Vogue UK and Marie Claire UK from January 1988 to July 1996.

Between Christina (especially) at the British Library and Branwen at the National Library of Wales, they looked through all 95 issues of Marie Claire UK (the fashion section only) from September 1988 to July 1996. Each library will do 30 minutes of free research for a patron - obviously they did much more (and are still willing to help me more as well).

I started with Elle UK (at this moment, I still think my photo is there) but after we had gone through what I considered the best months/years of Elle UK, I started having Christina look at the issues of Marie Claire UK as well (which Branwen then finished up).

Meanwhile, I found 87 out of 103 Tables of Contents for Vogue UK (almost all on eBay) and was able to rule those out from home. So many of the Vogue UK fashion editorials are posted somewhere online - whenever I found a possibility in the Table of Contents I was always able to find it online. So for those, I only had to ask Branwen to look at the other 16 issues, which she did.

For Elle UK, I ordered almost 40 scans of the Table of Contents (these are a lot harder to find online) and then had Christina (she did almost all of these) or Branwen look through specific pages that I thought were possibilities. Meanwhile, since Christina had the bound issues out anyway, she ended up just looking through the entire fashion sections of months and months of Elle UK issues.

So, after all of this, and all of that help, I come to this morning with only 6 possibilities left (but one fashion editorial that I really felt contained my photo - I was actually already thinking about ordering the issue on eBay to get a really good scan).

Branwen did these last ones because the British Library doesn't have these issues - and this morning I hear that my photo wasn't there! I can barely believe it, to be honest. A crushing blow.

Meanwhile, over the previous weekend, in my head I reviewed all of the magazines that I had previously looked at and really felt they were correctly ruled out, in rough order Harper's Bazaar, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Mademoiselle, Mirabella, Glamour, Elle.

And then, since Monday, Marie Claire UK, Marie Claire, Vogue UK...and Elle UK.

Now what?

I'm intending to get up for the final round but don't know how much longer I can last.

I think I can rule out most of the eleven magazines that I looked at but am probably going to look at a few of these again...Elle UK first...maybe Mademoiselle, Glamour?, Elle?

Exhausted by the failed search right now though.

Last edited:
So, dear readers, about a month ago, the prospects of finding my photo looked dim - as Christina (British Library) and Branwen (National Library of Wales) had completed looking at Elle UK, Vogue UK and Marie Claire UK from January 1988 to July 1996 without finding my photo.

What happened then is what usually happens. I am very bummed out as it appears all hope is lost but by the next day or two I come up with a new plan that I think will lead to finding my photo.

In this case, I reasoned that 39 issues of Elle UK and 86 issues of Vogue UK weren't actually looked at - these were through my analysis of the Tables of Contents. What if I made a mistake on this and my photo was in one of these issues? So, my intrepid and awesome librarian researchers in the UK were put to the task of looking at these issues. And now I'm thinking, since there are so many issues of Vogue UK not actually looked at, for the first time I'm thinking that's where my photo is going to be.

The thing about Vogue UK is libraries in the US actually have this going that far back so it's possible for me to schedule a trip to look at those myself. So, in my investigation of which libraries have it, I find out the Los Angeles County Museum of Art has it from 1987-2001, which was a total shocker. And then I call and the librarian, Doug, offers to look through issues for me! Which is good because I know that Christina and Branwen have to be close to the limit of how much they can look for me.

So, all three look through the issues of Elle UK and Vogue UK mentioned above. They don't find anything (meaning my Table of Contents analysis turned out to be correct). But, I have them going forward through 1997, 1998 and 1999 for these two magazines as these years haven't been looked at at all. Even though I had looked up through 2001 for other magazines just to be sure, I hadn't much felt my photo was too close to that. I was in the middle of a move from Brooklyn to Manhattan in May 1997 and I was pretty sure my photo wasn't found then. Nor did I think it was in 1998 for various reasons.

But, then I see this Table of Contents for this issue (from eBay:(

vogueukjul99toc.jpg
vogueukjul99.jpg

I didn't get confirmation for six days as I waited for Christina to pull the issue and look at it - but I didn't mind, just enjoying the fact I had finally found it. The Table of Contents had the right feel with the header and the two fashion editorials immediately after Vogue's Eye View seemed very possible (I think my photo was in an editorial having something to do with bohemian fashion and/or a vacation wardrobe). Plus I also think a photo on the ToC page may be related to my photo - and in this case, page 118 is in the scope of pages I think my photo is in (I'd bet anywhere from pages 114 to 129).

And then I look at the cover. It's not like I instantly remember it or anything but the more I try it for on size, I'm thinking, "Yeah, that's it, I think..." I like the cover, so it's something that I might have picked up and looked at.

So, Christina emails about two weeks ago and says she hasn't come across my photo (she looked from February-December 1999). I'm not even worried and presume she must have been looking at Elle UK by mistake. No, she was looking at Vogue UK. Amazingly, my photo really wasn't there.

But.

When I thought this issue in July 1999 was the one, it made me remember that when I got rid of my original collection in 2003/2004, I only had this photo for five years (I think). So, in my mind 1999 fits very well and is now where I think my photo is. 1998 would be my second choice. 1997 and 1996 would have to be looked at to make sure it isn't there. 2000 would be the last year I would look at if not found anywhere else.

So, I was very hopeful for Elle UK January-July 1999. There were three covers in that timeframe that I could have seen myself looking further into and I convinced myself it might be in the May 1999 issue (from eBay:(

s-l225.jpg

And...that would be a no as well. In the end, both Elle UK and Vogue UK looked at through December 1999 and nothing found.

In the next episode, the National Library of Scotland, feeling left out of the search, demands to get involved...

Anyone have a bigger version of this HB Deutsche cover shot by Marco Glaviano? I don't know the year but guessing early 80s?? The clean cover design and unconventional styling is divine!

50_anniversary_94.jpg
marcoglaviano.com

So, I took a step back and looked at the big picture for the millionth time:

Vogue
Harper's Bazaar
Elle
Mademoiselle
Mirabella

Marie Claire
Glamour
Cosmopolitan

Vogue UK
Elle UK

Marie Claire UK
?

Red means all issues have been looked at from Jan 1988 into 2001. For a small number of these, a physical copy was not readily available and I had to rely on reviewing Table of Contents scans (as with the category below).

Pink means all issues have been looked at from Jan 1988 - Dec 1999. I don't think the photo is in 2000 but leaving open a small possibility (so may have to come back to these).

Blue still has open issues within the Jan 1996 - Dec 1999 window but my photo is not likely there.

I haven't looked at a single physical issue of Glamour but over the past year have reviewed Tables of Contents from almost all of 1988-1993 plus Jan-Feb for 1994-1998 (the last ones to get a flavor of the ToC format to see if it changed any). Since I now believe my photo is in 1999, with the entire possible window now being from Jan 1996 - Dec 2000, it means Glamour is still mostly in play and I will have to review that period if it comes to that. That said, nothing makes me feel my photo is there and that will be my desperate last resort.

I only looked at a few issues of Cosmopolitan (it's part of the Women's Magazine Archive online) at the University of Arizona library. Just enough to confirm my thinking that my photo couldn't be there. When I try to actively visualize it coming from here, I can't even get past that minimal step. This should be marked as red, to be honest, but leaving it technically open because the issues haven't been looked at.

Then we have: ?

This means, "Are there any other magazines my photo could possibly be in?" Probably not, but if I added another it would probably be "InStyle". Very doubtful though.

That leaves the only (to me) realistic possibilities: Marie Claire or Marie Claire UK. Both haven't been looked at from August 1996 - December 1999. None stands out more than the other.

For Marie Claire UK, Sep 1988 - July 1996 was completely done by Christina and Branwen. But, each told me they really couldn't look at anymore issues. What to do? This is where I discovered the National Library of Scotland will do one hour of free research also! So, over there, Christine looked at 1997-1999 and just got back to me yesterday saying that she didn't find my photo (of course). So, only Aug-Dec 1996 and Jan-Dec 2000 is left. Not looking good.

Meanwhile, Marie Claire was the very last magazine of the eleven to be looked at in any form (and is the only one that not a single issue has been looked at physically). FIT is the only library in the world that has the issues that I am looking for and I requested a scan of 1998-1999 to start things off. The irony is that Marie Claire is the only magazine of the eleven that didn't exist for the whole period I've been considering as the first issue was Sep/Oct 1994. The ToC that I've previously looked at were the most vibrant and colorful of any of the eleven magazines but I don't remember that and think that I would have. That said, I am now expecting my photo is going to be in the Jan-Jul 1999 period.

From recently looking at Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and Vogue UK in 1999, there was definitely a boho theme, so this adds to my conviction that I finally found the right year. An issue of Vogue UK from early 2000, even says something like, "For those sick of the boho trend...".

When I look at the Marie Claire covers from 1999, nothing stands out to me. They all look the same. And each of them all say something like, "474 great looks!" or "328 outfits for the beach!". Which is why I've never really had any kind of memory of what the cover looked like.

The Table of Contents format doesn't look like it is going to be quite what I remember but what I think I'm going to see is one of the pictures (but I don't think the exact one) in the Table of Contents itself with the page number appearing in a medium- to large-format.

I received the 1998 and 1999 Marie Claire scans from FIT and will likely look at them today. This is going to be make or break, I think.

Updated from previous post:

Vogue
Harper's Bazaar
Elle
Mademoiselle
Mirabella

Marie Claire
Glamour

Cosmopolitan
Vogue UK
Elle UK
Marie Claire UK

InStyle

Red means all issues have been looked at from Jan 1988 into 2001. For a small number of these, a physical copy was not readily available and I had to rely on reviewing Table of Contents scans.

Blue still has open issues (that will be reviewed) within the Jan 1996 - Dec 2000 window but my photo is not likely there. Number of open issues: Marie Claire (7), Glamour (40).

Green has recently been added (changed from ? to illustrate all remaining possibilities, of which I have decided InStyle to be the only other possible magazine).

I now believe that my photo came from InStyle, a very unlikely source, which is why it took a whole year for me to actually put it on my list. It's not that I remember it coming from there as much as it is the only possibility left.

The only libraries (that I know of, there is no way easy way to search this) that have all or most of the issues from 1996-2000 are the New York Public Library and the Library of Congress. FIT has most of the issues from 1999 (the year I now think my photo came from) and 2000. Sellers on eBay have all or most of the issues from 1996-2000 as well.

I have a request in with the Library of Congress to give me the total number of pages in each issue from 1996-2000. Why? I remember that the issue my photo came from was on the thin side (perhaps only 200 pages but most likely not more than 300 pages). And I have discovered that a lot of issues of InStyle have anywhere from 400-600 pages (I think I can tentatively rule out anything that has 350+ pages). The librarian also said that InStyle appears in few databases they have and she will first check (using keywords) to see if my photo can be found that way.

If it is in InStyle, it's fairly likely that the model will end up being a "celebrity", a surprising twist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->