Vintage Scan Wish Lists

Hey has anyone seen this scan floating around online? I posted this back in 2011!

Bright Star: Poppy King
US VOGUE December 1993
Ph Richard Burbridge

ellastica scan

I'd be eternally grateful to anyone who could scan Steven Meisel's early work from Seventeen, Mademoiselle and Interview (early 90s), as well as Rolling Stone, Lei, Per Lui and L'Uomo or pretty much anything else from 80s and 90s that is less known.

Updated from previous post:

Vogue
Harper's Bazaar
Elle
Mademoiselle
Mirabella

Marie Claire
Glamour

Cosmopolitan
Vogue UK
Elle UK
Marie Claire UK

InStyle

Red means all issues have been looked at from Jan 1988 into 2001. For a small number of these, a physical copy was not readily available and I had to rely on reviewing Table of Contents scans.

Blue still has open issues (that will be reviewed) within the Jan 1996 - Dec 2000 window but my photo is not likely there. Number of open issues: Marie Claire (7), Glamour (40).

Green has recently been added (changed from ? to illustrate all remaining possibilities, of which I have decided InStyle to be the only other possible magazine).

I now believe that my photo came from InStyle, a very unlikely source, which is why it took a whole year for me to actually put it on my list. It's not that I remember it coming from there as much as it is the only possibility left.

The only libraries (that I know of, there is no way easy way to search this) that have all or most of the issues from 1996-2000 are the New York Public Library and the Library of Congress. FIT has most of the issues from 1999 (the year I now think my photo came from) and 2000. Sellers on eBay have all or most of the issues from 1996-2000 as well.

I have a request in with the Library of Congress to give me the total number of pages in each issue from 1996-2000. Why? I remember that the issue my photo came from was on the thin side (perhaps only 200 pages but most likely not more than 300 pages). And I have discovered that a lot of issues of InStyle have anywhere from 400-600 pages (I think I can tentatively rule out anything that has 350+ pages). The librarian also said that InStyle appears in few databases they have and she will first check (using keywords) to see if my photo can be found that way.

If it is in InStyle, it's fairly likely that the model will end up being a "celebrity", a surprising twist.

Hi.
I’ve been following your quest - but I’ve forgotten the original photo!? Could you tell me what it was as I have an inkling which photo it is … I have an extensive magazine collection from the 80 / 90s. I hope I can help

I'd be eternally grateful to anyone who could scan Steven Meisel's early work from Seventeen, Mademoiselle and Interview (early 90s), as well as Rolling Stone, Lei, Per Lui and L'Uomo or pretty much anything else from 80s and 90s that is less known.

found this on eBay from m-m-f-store

Self October 1981 Annette Stai by Steven Meisel

OONgDoYd_o.jpg

naMOq27V_o.jpg

Hi.
I’ve been following your quest - but I’ve forgotten the original photo!? Could you tell me what it was as I have an inkling which photo it is … I have an extensive magazine collection from the 80 / 90s. I hope I can help

Thanks for your message! Below is the description of the photo:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The model has roughly shoulder-length dirty to light blond hair. I believe she was sitting on a beach or sand dune, with her feet a little lower than the rest of her body and her arms maybe resting in her lap, on her knees or between her legs. She was wearing I guess what would be called a white peasant blouse/dress (I think it laced-up in the upper part). Bare shoulders - I think. With either sandals or bare feet.

But, the most distinctive part - she is wearing maybe 15 or 20 white and silver bangles on each arm. The easiest way to find the photo is to look for a lot of bracelets or bangles (that will eliminate almost all photos from consideration immediately and you will come across only a few that will have any chance of being the photo I'm looking for). She is by herself in the photo and I believe is facing at least slightly to the reader's right as you look at the photo.

I think there was some kind of vacation theme in this editorial. There was also a bohemian reference (and from my review of magazines so far, that was in fashion in 1999, the year I now think my photo was in).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would be amazed if you actually recognize or have this photo, but we'll see!

These are the issues that I still have to review (when there are page numbers listed, that means I have looked at a Table of Contents scan and believe the photo could only be in the fashion editorial starting with that particular page number).

Marie Claire
need97:apr(154)
need98:jul(116),dec(116,130)
need99:mar,jun(128)
need00:mar,dec(172,178)

Glamour
need99:apr(272),oct(220)
need00:jan(166)

InStyle
need96:jan,feb,mar,apr,may,jun,jul,aug,sep,oct,nov,dec
need97:jan,feb,mar,apr,may,jun,jul,aug,sep,oct,nov,dec
need98:jan,feb,mar,may,jun,jul,aug,sep,oct,dec
need99:feb,mar,may(131),jun,jul(77,130,140)

My best guess for the year is 1999, but I can't say that's the right year for sure. If I don't end up finding the photo in these, I am going to consider going back and looking at some of the magazines I've already looked at as it's possible that it was missed somehow.

Thanks for your message! Below is the description of the photo:
The model has roughly shoulder-length dirty to light blond hair. I believe she was sitting on a beach or sand dune, with her feet a little lower than the rest of her body and her arms maybe resting in her lap, on her knees or between her legs. She was wearing I guess what would be called a white peasant blouse/dress (I think it laced-up in the upper part). Bare shoulders - I think. With either sandals or bare feet.

But, the most distinctive part - she is wearing maybe 15 or 20 white and silver bangles on each arm. The easiest way to find the photo is to look for a lot of bracelets or bangles (that will eliminate almost all photos from consideration immediately and you will come across only a few that will have any chance of being the photo I'm looking for). She is by herself in the photo and I believe is facing at least slightly to the reader's right as you look at the photo.

I think there was some kind of vacation theme in this editorial. There was also a bohemian reference (and from my review of magazines so far, that was in fashion in 1999, the year I now think my photo was in).
I would be amazed if you actually recognize or have this photo, but we'll see!

These are the issues that I still have to review (when there are page numbers listed, that means I have looked at a Table of Contents scan and believe the photo could only be in the fashion editorial starting with that particular page number).

Marie Claire
need97:apr(154)
need98:jul(116),dec(116,130)
need99:mar,jun(128)
need00:mar,dec(172,178)

Glamour

InStyle
need98:jan,feb,mar,may,jun,jul,aug,sep,oct,dec
need99:feb,mar,may(131),jun,jul(77,130,140)

My best guess for the year is 1999, but I can't say that's the right year for sure. If I don't end up finding the photo in these, I am going to consider going back and looking at some of the magazines I've already looked at as it's possible that it was missed somehow.
I only have a few 1999 ELLEs - I’ve looked through them & couldn’t find the picture. Sorry

I only have a few 1999 ELLEs - I’ve looked through them & couldn’t find the picture. Sorry

Thanks for looking. I am going to work my way through my list of what's remaining over the next month or so. It's a slow process right now because I have to ask and then wait for libraries to send me scans (and I can only ask for six at a time via my local library).

I have a bad feeling that somehow the photo was missed in what was already looked at. If that turns out to be the case, I'll probably try to look at some issues again - the first time around, I had no idea the photo might be in 1999 like I think it is. I thought I was careful but who knows.

I'm thinking it might be in Mademoiselle (even though I looked at those issues twice already).

Here is what is officially left:

Marie Claire
need99:mar
need00:mar

Glamour

InStyle
need98:jan,feb,mar

This is premature, but highlighted above is where I think my photo is. I should receive a scan from the Northern Arizona library as early as tomorrow and will find out for sure.

Literally the very last possibility. I haven't seen the two Marie Claire issues but consider those very unlikely. After reviewing InStyle from Apr98-Dec00, that magazine doesn't feel right at all (mostly about boring celebrities and not much fashion at all). And while I've asked for the other two editorials from Glamour, those don't look right either.

I will write more later this week. If I'm correct on this, it looks like I've already identified the model also, so that won't have to be done (and it turns out to be someone I considered as a possibility).

The fourteen month search may be officially over in a day or two. Then, I will take a breath before proceeding with the next phase.

I just got back the scans for the three fashion editorials from Glamour, including where I thought my photo would be.

Not there again!

It makes sense in a way that it wasn't there - I had never thought it was a fall issue and it was unlikely I would have been flipping through Glamour in 1999 (since I never really found any good photos from them over the years).

It does feel like it was in 1999 though and the cover model from the October Glamour 1999 issue was Claudia Schiffer and all of a sudden I think she might be the model.

Any suggestions on other models who have a similar look to her that I might consider?

A beauty editor on IG that I follow wants to read this article once again!

The 1 page article in question left quite an impression on her. The piece centers around a younger woman being surprised by her love for Le De x Givenchy, a scent she perceived to be for mature tastes. The article ran in US VOGUE around 1995 possibly 1996. Does this beauty feature ring a bell @justaguy?

Hi! for a study in classical reception, I'm looking for a scan of "Vogue UK" from december 1990. I would be interested in the while issue, but especially the portoflio « Heavenly bodies: the stuff of myths » p. 180-187.

VOGUE UK, December 1990
Star: Naomi Campbell (and others)
Ph: Herb Ritts
Portfolio: Heavenly bodies: the stuff of myths

EV5yj4IXgAAJeCA.jpg EV5ylE4WsAY6ZYf.jpg
EV5z1DDWsAIRzL9.png

Has anyone got Audrey Marnay by Sarah Moon for Anna Sui.
The turquoise ad featuring Sui's gold powder packaging?
If anyone knows what the heck I'm referring to virtual hugs to you :crush:

@BLtheKid
Sharon Van der Knapp, Veronika Varekova, Valeria Mazza are some Claudia look-alikes active in the mid to late 90s onward :flower:

Hope this is the right thread to ask this :smile:

I was hoping someone would help me get better quality of this editorial, it is Mark Vanderloo with Esther Canadas by Gilles Bensimon from Elle US March 2000 issue.
This is all I found, any kind of help would be greatly appreciated :flower:

Bellazon

^ i'm sorry, i wish i still had it!

I'm looking for
Vogue (US) December 2000,STARRY NIGHTS Photography by Steven Meisel, model Carmen Kass.

Does anyone have those Karen Elson editorials?

Vogue (Italy) - March 1997, Supplement
"Rome Gallery Portraits"
Photographed by Michel Comte

ebay

Vogue (France) - May 1997
Photographed by Regan Cameron

Vogue (UK) - June 1998

ebay

Here’s a post of some Lei covers that include Meisel.

Vintage Lei covers and editorials

There’s a couple more Pedro posted after those.
The rest of the thread is mostly dead links.

*cries*

Mademoiselle

Vintage Mademoiselle

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"