Vogue Arabia February 2019 : Ciara by Mariano Vivanco

Was really hoping this would be stellar because it's Ciara, but the composition is off, shot is too zoomed out to make an instant impact, and maybe both horses weren't needed. Add to that the lack of fashion.
Arnaut must be rather cushy with the Saudi royals if they'd go so far as to lend out their stallions. But then again, anything for a bit of publicity I guess.

Still, very happy for Ciara. I thought after her TeenVogue cover the sky would be the limit, but magazines have not embraced her. Despite her constant albums, good looks and height, and Tisci. Instead, we got inundated with Rihanna and Beyonce.

God his recent covers have been such sh*t

This is Harper’s Bazaar Glenda territory

Although, she finally got the Vogue cover she deserves. Long overdue

This is Harper’s Bazaar Glenda territory

Although, she finally got the Vogue cover she deserves. Long overdue
It’s so long overdue, that it’s hardly deserved anymore.

What a face. Stunning! I actually like the second cover. I love the colours, hat and makeup. It works well.

The first cover is so awkward, they really should have just gone with the second one. I love the make-up and styling - she looks gorgeous! Modest but creative- exactly as this magazine should be.

I think both covers look great. Ciara looks glorious on the first cover with horses. But the black dress should have been of a different colour. It would have contrasted better overall. Anyway, I'll always be welcoming for a Ciara's cover or editorial. She's gorgeous.

Still, very happy for Ciara. I thought after her TeenVogue cover the sky would be the limit, but magazines have not embraced her. Despite her constant albums, good looks and height, and Tisci. Instead, we got inundated with Rihanna and Beyonce.

I agree, I would take her over Rihanna/Beyoncé any day. I think Ciara has never really had the success and the recognition she deserves. She has literally everything to her though : natural beauty, body, voice, dancing, height, presence, and what seems like a genuine personality.

Ciara's team failed to take her status from merely a pop star to something else. The game of survival for successful female artists during her era was different from the male ones. They needed to attach themselves to a certain demeanor / narrative. Rihanna pretty much owned the no-f***s-given territory, Beyonce has been associated with imperialism ever since she marketed herself as a Queen B, Taylor Swift is your go-to America's Sweetheart (well, prior to Reputation), and Gaga circa 2009-2013 tried hard to be deemed the Avant-Garde twist on corporate-led pop machine. Ariana was lucky that her time to flourish happened when these kinds of narrative-driven, meme-generated persona were not necessarily a pop star's raison d'etre anymore, so she can be considered the exception to the rule.

Anyway, back to the cover, I'd echo anyone's statement that the second one is better than the first albeit rather cliched. I love me some good fashion imagery set in a desert, but just because you're Vogue Arabia, doesn't mean you have to limit yourself with such location.~

So Vogue Arabia is now in the business of giving everyone their first Vogue cover? Is that their new niche?!

You get a Vogue cover! You get a Vogue cover! Everyone gets a Vogue cover!!

The good thing with Vogue Arabia though is that they give you hope that underrated models or celebs of colour might get a cover. I'd love them to give Malaika Firth a cover. It's mind boggling that such a stunning model still only has one and works so little. She did a beauty editorial for them last year.

Ciara's team failed to take her status from merely a pop star to something else. The game of survival for successful female artists during her era was different from the male ones. They needed to attach themselves to a certain demeanor / narrative. Rihanna pretty much owned the no-f***s-given territory, Beyonce has been associated with imperialism ever since she marketed herself as a Queen B, Taylor Swift is your go-to America's Sweetheart (well, prior to Reputation), and Gaga circa 2009-2013 tried hard to be deemed the Avant-Garde twist on corporate-led pop machine. Ariana was lucky that her time to flourish happened when these kinds of narrative-driven, meme-generated persona were not necessarily a pop star's raison d'etre anymore, so she can be considered the exception to the rule.

She had a narrative. She was supposed to the modern Janet Jackson. Not much of a voice, but arguably the best pop dancer. God knows Ciara is certainly a much better dancer than Rihanna and Beyonce.

I agree, I would take her over Rihanna/Beyoncé any day. I think Ciara has never really had the success and the recognition she deserves. She has literally everything to her though : natural beauty, body, voice, dancing, height, presence, and what seems like a genuine personality.
Voice? Not sure about that...
She never had the success she deserved because of questionable career choices. Unfortunately, not everybody can be a pop star and she was just one of them.

But her friendship with Riccardo opened a lot of doors for her and gave her a credibility in fashion and beauty that she manages to capitalize from.

So, this Vogue cover comes at the right time. She is more popular now than ever. She is aspirational and has a connection with an audience...Something she never really had before.

The second cover is great.

Voice? Not sure about that...
She never had the success she deserved because of questionable career choices. Unfortunately, not everybody can be a pop star and she was just one of them.

But her friendship with Riccardo opened a lot of doors for her and gave her a credibility in fashion and beauty that she manages to capitalize from.

So, this Vogue cover comes at the right time. She is more popular now than ever. She is aspirational and has a connection with an audience...Something she never really had before.

The second cover is great.

Where? Not in America where it counts.
Ciara has had the most frustrating career in pop. She's like a case study in what not to do, and when not to do it. The second cover is stunning, but no one cares about a Vogue Arabia cover, and less will be able to even find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noircheese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->