Vogue Australia March 2018 : Emma Watson by Peter Lindbergh

So we are now at a point where Lindbergh's work looks like that of Boo George??? I don't like any of the covers. The hair, dress and art direction ruined it. Same goes for the editorial. Lindbergh is at his best when there's some story or setting involved.

Wonder how much Emma contributed to this issue because based on the coverlines it seems an absolutely unmissable issue! I like that it appears to be content relevant to Vogue Australia's demographic.

SPEAK VOLUMES
Photographer: Sebastian Kim
Stylist: Christine Centenera
Hair: David von Cannon
Make-Up: Yumi Mori
Model: Charlee Fraser

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Cont.

RISE & SHINE
Photographer: Nicole Bentley
Stylist: Kate Darvill
Hair: Michele McQuillan
Make-Up: Kellie Stratton
Model: Adut Akech

That Nicole Bentley edit would have been great for a cover, but it's just a little off because of Adut's poses. Her chin is too high in almost every shot - but I love the lighting and the styling! Her skin looks gorgeous

Adut looks gorgeous but it's literally the same face in every photo.

I must say, what I like about Charlee above all is is her mature elegance. She doesn't look like a girl playing dress-up. We have two really stunning edits here, Adut is quite the winner as well! The brilliance of Nicole Bentley never ceases to amaze me. What a perfect way to preempt their (hopefully April) cover.

Vogue Australia is onto something with their new art direction. When I first saw it a few months ago, I thought it was backward, cringy, ugly and lazy. However you actually have to view and flip through a few hardcopies of the magazine to appreciate how beautiful, clean, young and modern it is. It grows on you.
For some years, I always felt like we were testing how “"international" looking Vogue Australia was in comparison to the more established Vogues. So we had covers of different international celebrities that sometimes looked like our best attempt to appear “grown up” and almost un-Australian. The result was not unlike the cover of a Sunday newspaper magazine supplement, or an Italian Vanity Fair cover.
However with the new art direction, and thoroughly modern cover styling/aesthetic that is contemporary and modern with a punk edge (cf. Lorde, Cate Blanchet, Carey Mulligan, Margot Robbie etc), we see Vogue Australia setting a trend, rather than following one, and we also see a truly local and a fresh, original interpretation of the Vogue brand.
Kudos and well done EIC Edwina McCann for charging Art Director Mandy Alex (who has been with the magazine since 2012) with the new overhaul. I for one, love it.

SHE DARES
Photographer: Nagi Sakai
Stylist: Remy Rippon
Hair: Kensh Nasano
Make-Up: Rie Omoto
Model: Valery Kauffman

CAUSE AND EFFECT
Photographer: Peter Lindbergh
Stylist: Hannes Hetta
Hair: Odile Gilbert
Make-Up: Stephane Marais
Model/Celebrity: Emma Watson

↑ According to the credits, Emma Watson (on the Cover) wears Stella McCartney. The closest thing I have found on the internet is this red dress:

stellamccartney.com/us/stella-mccartney/maxi_cod34827064nc.html#dept=main_ready_to_wear

However you actually have to view and flip through a few hardcopies of the magazine to appreciate how beautiful, clean, young and modern it is. It grows on you.

Said precisely the same thing when I got the September issue (which was when the new direction started.) I don't like the cover direction at all, but inside it's much better! I also think they should get back to single photographer issues....

Re the rest, I'm actually more partial to the refined and mature Vogue Australia, lol. It came at a time when everyone else tried to be 'youth', didn't know it would be regarded as 'un-Australian.' Because as far as I recall at about the same time all Australian magazines sort of followed that same aesthetic. Elle, InStyle, Harper's, the lot. Can't say I like the covers from Lorde onwards, but if the content will remain consistent, I'll always be on board.

The hair dresser behind Emma Watson’s baby bangs talks Vogue through the French-approved look

26th Feb 2018
by Lilith Hardie Lupica

Emma Watson might be Vogue Australia’s March cover star and guest editor but she’s also the proud owner of 2018’s biggest hair trend, baby bangs.

While the world first saw the bangs in January at the BAFTA Los Angeles Awards Season Tea Party at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, Watson actually committed to the bangs for her Vogue cover shoot with Peter Lindbergh.

Now, the French hair stylist behind the bangs, Odile Gilbert has revealed what went on behind the scenes in regards to the fringe decision.

“The day was magic” Gilbert recalls of shooting in Paris with Watson and Lindbergh, “She’s a dream, a lot of energy, she can dance, sing. Very good sense of humour and she loves fashion and beauty.”

Noting that the inspiration for the shoot was Audrey Hepburn, Gilbert gave Watson a modern update on Hepburn’s iconic fringe which the 27-year-old actress “loved”.

“Emma loves to play with her hair, we tried a lot of style and the bang was really cute!” Gilbert says before warning not to try this at home and always have a stylist cut it but trialling the look can work with fake bangs if you’re really unsure.

Gilbert asserts that for the French this look is always in style – we all want French Girl hair all the time so maybe this low maintenance fringe is the key? – but your fringe doesn’t have to be a micro as Watson’s.

“I think baby bangs are always in fashion–it can be long or short depending of the face. It’s always cute and young, it’s very French. I guess it’s very charming.”

We certainly want hair that’s Watson-approved and what the French would call charming–scissors at the ready.

Source: Vogueaustralia.com.au

What's wrong with lighting on the cover with colors? It looks so strange... the layout is too small and awful

Am I the only one that likes the “baby bangs”? ( I’m a bangs aficionado I have to say, although i mine at the moment are far from ”baby” and i can hardly see to type) I think this ones work in a fashion context.

I really really like the covers, i think she looks gorgeous, it’s the usual Lindbergh fare, but he’s excellent at what he does and at giving the impression that the persons he photographs actually have some depth.

So I went to the bookstore over the weekend and lo and behold, they had the US and Australian Vogue editions in stock despite the weather. Passed on the American one and got this one instead, and I must say, pleasantly surprised. Not the biggest Emma Watson fan, but she did a stellar job with her editing. Throughout the magazines all the features she spearheaded are highlighted, and the rest was done by Edwina. Quite a nice touch! Based on a rough estimation, I'd say she edited about 60/70% of the content.

I also mellowed a bit towards her edit, but I still think the bangs look hideous and that there were way too many shots. Her feature was a revelation for me. She really cares about the fashion industry, a lot. But not in an annoying Lady Gaga kind of way. She sort of intellectualise it, which is refreshing. Pity she didn't oversee any fashion edits.

I liked the feature with the Aboriginal creatives. Great concept, Edwina should hang her head in shame that a foreigner had to give these women traction in her magazine. And there's also something with Ai Wei Wei and Cate Blanchett, must still get round to that.

Overall I'm really impressed with VAs aesthetic. It's not overbearing, but not unassuming. And there's not a trace of some ennuied teen slouching in strertwear. All the women are mature, sophisticated, yet chic. Sort of like Porter. That said, Christine Centenara's styling is absolutely necessary just to add a bit of variety. Great issue and well written content, they're back on my radar now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->