Vogue France September 2024 : Vivienne Rohner by Steven Meisel

Leave it to France to remake Emmanuelle while Hollywood remakes... Twister. :lol:

I think it's just the colour scheme, but it reminds me a lot of Vittoria's cover from 2017.

View attachment 1297349
vogue.fr
I loved that story. There's a beautiful picture with Vitto swaying in peach pink veil across her face that was sooo beautiful. Testino but chic.

Hi @Lola701 I know you enjoy this much as I do! I was going to say, it's a territorial thing. Because Franca gave him this unheard of carte blanche in the industry, together they made so many models' careers with their covers (AND the lineups at Prada) it's only natural that the French had their own clan, promoted their own photogs, their own girls, etc.
I totally forgot that Carine worked with him for YSL, thanks for reminding me. :flower:
I do know that plenty of people fought to have him in the 90's and when they couldn't have him they got quite jealous. I know many people complaining about Meisel without actually naming him as well...
Do you remember the time when Meisel stopped doing covers for Vogue Italia? Gosh how they all rejoiced for 1 month per photog, eating up that chance. I thought it was hilarious :lol:
Yes but it was also a different time with an idea of stars photographers.
Mario Testino was the star photographer of VP. Meisel was the star photographer of VI. American Vogue was that top publication that could get legends like Newton and Penn and except for Testino, Vogue UK was really the publication where British talents were showcased.
That idea of a clan is also true.
Remember that Vogue Paris was the only Vogue with an ex-stylist as an EIC and each stylist had their kind of « go-to » photographer: MAS was working a lot with I&V and David Sims, Emmanuelle was working a lot with Terry Richardson.

Maybe Joan Juliet Buck wanted Meisel in the 90’s. I don’t know.

Anyway, Vogue Paris never suffered from Meisel’s never shooting for them. They have even managed to elevate the careers of some: Mert and Marcus would probably never had that career without VP.

I don’t know if photographers rejoiced from Meisel not shooting the covers under Franca because she did it when she was ill. But it indeed created a nice drama on here (because obviously, nobody knew about her medical condition).

Yes but it was also a different time with an idea of stars photographers.
Mario Testino was the star photographer of VP. Meisel was the star photographer of VI. American Vogue was that top publication that could get legends like Newton and Penn and except for Testino, Vogue UK was really the publication where British talents were showcased.
That idea of a clan is also true.
Remember that Vogue Paris was the only Vogue with an ex-stylist as an EIC and each stylist had their kind of « go-to » photographer: MAS was working a lot with I&V and David Sims, Emmanuelle was working a lot with Terry Richardson.

Maybe Joan Juliet Buck wanted Meisel in the 90’s. I don’t know.

Anyway, Vogue Paris never suffered from Meisel’s never shooting for them. They have even managed to elevate the careers of some: Mert and Marcus would probably never had that career without VP.

I don’t know if photographers rejoiced from Meisel not shooting the covers under Franca because she did it when she was ill. But it indeed created a nice drama on here (because obviously, nobody knew about her medical condition).
It did shake things up for sure.
Vogue Paris was always ahead in everything. VI was a bit all over the place when one puts the Meisel stories aside. The styling was more often unimaginative or a mess. The core thing with VP though was always the style. They had so many strong stylists, each brought something of their own to the table.
I honestly thought Terry Richardson was very good for VP. They really got something special with their roster and they dared monthly for a long time. VP 2001-2009 was such an education. JJB did talk a bunch in her book about her experience being an American editor at VP though, it sounded tough.

I love this cover and everything about it, from the model and the styling to the hair and make-up.

Who'd knew that 3 out of 4 big Vogue's (UK Vogue, I'm not talking about you) could treat us with very decent covers this September.

I actually like it, maybe they didn't choose the best shot for the cover, Vivienne in great shape. It reminds me a bit of Emmanuelle Alt's style for Vogue Paris

Last edited:
I love the contrast of the full glam with the soft pastel colours but am now curious to see the ed that has better shots.

Was MAS really needed? Looks just like something he would do with Templer. Another auto pilot job by Meisel.

Love this cover
His best work this year
So fresh, I am getting a baby doll lolita sexy chic, very Pirelli Calendar 2015 with Natalia Vodianova's pictures, it is a softer side of Meisel
Also, Vivienne is a model on the taller side, not really a MAS girl as you don't see her on Vuitton or Paco's catwalk, but everything on the cover is working here
As for the editorial, I hate the stupid hat, too widow-looking

As for the editorial, I hate the stupid hat, too widow-looking
It reminds me of those stupid hats that were trendy in mid-1970s bridal outfits, which instantly depress me when I see wedding photos where the bride is wearing a giant awful hat. I don't know why that look depresses me, it just does.

The cover photograph is absolutely beautiful! Rohner is not my favorite model but is a good choice. The fashion editorial is sensational! It is everything I love about Steven Meisel's fashion photography: high fashion, perfect hair and makeup, glamour and more glamour. Just perfection! This moment felt like heaven today.

It reminds me of those stupid hats that were trendy in mid-1970s bridal outfits, which instantly depress me when I see wedding photos where the bride is wearing a giant awful hat. I don't know why that look depresses me, it just does.

If the hats are in colours with decorations I don't mind, like Valentino from the 70s or Marc Jacobs tribute to the 70s Spring 2020, but yay I hate these black hats a lot
And I liked Emma Robert's AHS coven black hat because it was smaller and chicer

So many cover choices from that editorial :brows: At least Meisel is back with VP :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachowski
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->