Vogue France September 2024 : Vivienne Rohner by Steven Meisel

There is something really funny that, although nothing in relation or cross over at all, they have the EX EIC's name in big letters on the cover.

The Emmanuelle Myth: Did she exist? This magazine's recent output would say otherwise

I think it’s an interesting take on Emmanuelle.
Carine did one for her last issue with Saskia.
I think Emmanuelle did something with Natasha Poly with the Emmanuelle chair and now this one by MAS, much more subtle, soft and sensual…
Maybe the least literal one too.

It's beautiful but it lacks that edge Alt put in her covers - a bit sexier, a different typography, some spice youknow.

Alt knew how to jazz it up a classic chic image.

really sad for September but we have no original Main Fashion story in this issue, well if you count the coverstory 🙄 ...

- Vivienne Rohner by Meisel as seen in VEs
- Ghesquiere, Lulu & Sasha by Meisel
- Devyn Garcia by Julia Noni
- Vittoria & Co. by Meisel for VIt without Linda and Isabella as seen in VEs
- Angelina Kendall by Nigel Shafran as seen in VUK
- Ugbad & Co. by Sean Thomas

Miss Vogue is a Portrait about Charlotte Cardin lensed by Andrea Montano (forgettable)

No Linda? This might be the Vogue reprint issue I'll buy. :magic:

I love this cover and everything about it, from the model and the styling to the hair and make-up.

Who'd knew that 3 out of 4 big Vogue's (UK Vogue, I'm not talking about you) could treat us with very decent covers this September.
I'd lower that score to 2, that US Vogue cover looks very dated and downmarket for such a major magazine even by the lowered standards that we've learned to apply to fashion photography in the last 10 years.

I do like this cover, it's very soft and pretty but with the hair it works. Don't love it but the glory days are gone, I accepted that.

Not a whiff of Linda @blueorchid.

And not a whiff of a blockbuster September issue, either. Flip through it once and it's instantly forgotten.

Both Meisel shots are… nice. Vivienne’s shoot looks like they were looking at Carol Bouquet in Chanel circa 1988. It’s… nice. But it’s the sort of shoot that would have been relegated to a January filler story for Emmanuelle’s Vogue. The other shoot is classic Meisel by-the-numbers, but just so random with no story. Maybe it’s the editing that’s compiled the shoot into a directionless series of imagery and not a story. Minimum effort as usual these days.

Vogue France 9 2024.jpg

1 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg2 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg3 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg4 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg5 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg6 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg7 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg

8 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg9 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg10 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg11 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg12 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg13 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg14 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg15 Vogue France 9 2024.jpg
Vogue France September 2024

The styling and makeup on Deva is so obviously meant to maximise her resemblance to her mother....she photographs well but I think they could be less heavy-handed about it.

Sometimes you see editorials shot in studio that are good but are generic enough that most photographers could do it - technically. It obfuscates the skill of the image maker because you can pair a mediocre photographer with a great model and stylist, a couple of good lighting assistants, a world class retouching house - and produce a result that is at a high level. But when Meisel shoots studio images the finesse of combining all those things together in the refined way that he does (when he's at his best) is so pronounced that it can only really be his picture. That isn't Meisel glazing because he's a legend, it's earnt applause. Very hard to imitate. He has made Vivienne look great here.

Sometimes you see editorials shot in studio that are good but are generic enough that most photographers could do it - technically. It obfuscates the skill of the image maker because you can pair a mediocre photographer with a great model and stylist, a couple of good lighting assistants, a world class retouching house - and produce a result that is at a high level. But when Meisel shoots studio images the finesse of combining all those things together in the refined way that he does (when he's at his best) is so pronounced that it can only really be his picture. That isn't Meisel glazing because he's a legend, it's earnt applause. Very hard to imitate. He has made Vivienne look great here.
:heart:
it's cool to acknowledge what's good.

Ugh Mariacarla! That look! What I would not do for you when you look at like that! So gorgeous.

really sad for September but we have no original Main Fashion story in this issue, well if you count the coverstory 🙄 ...

- Vivienne Rohner by Meisel as seen in VEs
- Ghesquiere, Lulu & Sasha by Meisel
- Devyn Garcia by Julia Noni
- Vittoria & Co. by Meisel for VIt without Linda and Isabella as seen in VEs
- Angelina Kendall by Nigel Shafran as seen in VUK
- Ugbad & Co. by Sean Thomas
The Meisel/MAS is the main story for VP and a reprint in Vogue Spain.

So far, we don’t know if the Vogue Spain main story will be a reprint somewhere else…

"Fascinate Emmanuelle"
Featuring: Sylvia Kristel, Noémie Merlant

"Emmanuelle par Audrey Diwan"
Photographer: Scott Trindle
Featuring: Audrey Diwan, Noémie Merlant

Vogue France Digital Edition

"Miss Charlotte"
Photographer: Andrea Montano
Réalisation: Ewa Kluczenko