Vogue Italia July 2024 : Bad Bunny by Rafael Pavarotti

I knew it. As soon as I saw that beard in their teaser video I can't think of any other artist.

And he's not in the center 😭 someone move him a little 😅

I like him well enough but I don’t know what on earth he’s doing on the July cover of Italian Vogue.

What I keep thinking when I see most mediocre magazine covers these days is just... why am I supposed to care? Do they really want us to buy this? What would even posses me to pick this up to flick through? To borrow a phrase from a book I'm currently reading about writing (which I'm hating because I'm not a writer, but that's neither here nor there)... "why are you bothering telling me this story?"

I don't mind the idea of men on the cover of Vogue, but unless you can model like Helmut Berger... don't bother.

1718892120977.png
tumblr

I really don’t understand the hype of this person, everything about him feel so forced just like his fans. It’s a striking cover but I agree with everyone! enough with these men on the cover of vogue.

What I keep thinking when I see most mediocre magazine covers these days is just... why am I supposed to care? Do they really want us to buy this? What would even posses me to pick this up to flick through? To borrow a phrase from a book I'm currently reading about writing (which I'm hating because I'm not a writer, but that's neither here nor there)... "why are you bothering telling me this story?"

I don't mind the idea of men on the cover of Vogue, but unless you can model like Helmut Berger... don't bother.

View attachment 1280726
tumblr

or these men by Steven Meisel

September 2007
3-Steven-Meisel-Make-Love-Not-War-Vogue-Italia-685-sept-2007-00015Y.jpeg

July 2013
Vogue-Italia-July-2013-Steven-Meisel-04.jpg

July 2014
215b4bc84aa735cd64ef0454be2d2c05.jpg

Other than the quality of the modeling, I think the difference is men are now getting solo Vogue covers, as opposed to sharing it with a woman. To me it’s a very different thing when a man is the sole focus on the cover of a women’s magazine.

That said, women stay getting solo covers on men’s magazines. Is this equality? Perhaps. But is it equity? Lol

That said, women stay getting solo covers on men’s magazines. Is this equality? But not equity? lol
I would say no... because women on the cover of men's magazines are objectified, whereas Bad Bunny on Vogue Italia is someone "we're" supposed to take seriously lol. The men on Meisel's covers were definitely objectified though, so...

I would say no... because women on the cover of men's magazines are objectified, whereas Bad Bunny on Vogue Italia is someone "we're" supposed to take seriously lol. The men on Meisel's covers were definitely objectified though, so...

I’d say that’s changing for men’s magazines too, though. Women can land a cover without taking off their clothes these days. Zendaya’s recent GQ cover being a prime example.

I think partly it’s a “male gaze” vs “female gaze” thing, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARNOLDSILVERBOLT
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->