Vogue Italia May 2011 : Kristen McMenamy by Steven Meisel

I love it. Much better than last month's imo. It seems so cold, well with the pallid colors and Kristen's icy demeanor. I love the concept and I hope the editorial revolves around a similar theme.

really surprised that swimwear is put ahead of everything, in a non over-styled editorial ... in such a long editorial.
and really don't know what to think about Karl's take on gloves with swimwear - it looks like Kristen is too scared to touch anything in (dusty and dirty) Chelsea Hotel. But it makes the swimwear appears like the equivalent for gown.

The rich heir and socialite of Chelsea Hotel (coz any girl is rich in VI stories) reclusively taking care of young rock stars and writers and artists in her hotel. But the journalist came to visit that rich crazy woman, who is the summer version of Edith Beale (Grey Gardens star), and only dresses in swimwear when the summer shines .... She never gets out of her room and lives there with the artists she's taking care of, listening to them, being a muse to them. But her modern royalty blood makes her to decide 10 yrs ago to never take off her gloves (and coz she knows her hotel is too crappy, anyway).

That is fun and a good editorial - reminded me of that other VI editorial, well it's actually just the same vein of hippie mood Meisel creates.

its so ****ing stunning!!!!!!and kristen looks so amazing!!!!bravo steven!!!!you did it again!

:crush: I have no words to describe this cover!! it is just flawless!! Kirsten looks EPIC!!
the VI covers have been so tacky lately (specially Candice's cover! :sick:), but THIS!! this is a breath of fresh air!!
reminds me of how the covers were back in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006!! :heart: in one word: WOW!!
and btw, It's quite hilarious how some people are whining about how the font is ugly!! I'm not trying to be rude but... W T F???? are you guys for real?? the cover is PERFECT!!! :heart:

Woah, that editorial is mindblowing. Reminds me of Vogue Italia circa 2003-2004.

I love the contractions in this cover. The coverline is quite literal and obvious and suggests a Sports Illustrated type of image of a tanned, curvy girl in a sexy pose on a summer beach but yet VI pares this coverline with an image the opposite of that: a moody pale blue hued image of a pale, grey haired androgynous looking women gazing into the distance, with an overaal grunge feel. The typical coverline only enhances the a-typical depiction of swimwear fashion.

I like the editorial but I don`t know it`s relevance to "SWIMWEAR"

^She is wearing swimwear! Isn't it obvious?

from what set? there haven't even been any images from the main story posted...or am i missing something? :unsure: And Franca explained Vogue It's process of selecting a cover image..it's always done last, and not always done for the purpose of making a 'stronger' cover. Sometimes a cover should act as a teaser or something to allure..which is what I think this one does successfully...it makes me anticipate the inside story without giving it all away. Every Vogue IT cover doesn't need to be an edgy-fest. :unsure:

i was saying that there would be a stronger cover option, in hoping that there would be. that said, the editorial is actually dissapointing to me; i guess im just more attracted to polished glamour & here it's a different aesthetic. & while on topic of edge, i feel like this is more edgy than beautiful; being that it's not stereotypically beautiful- it's more of an interesting visual. i get your point, the cover doesn't do anything for me though. the italian vogue covers seem to try & dissassociate themselves with expectation, it's pure glamour one month & then dirt-faced models the next. it's either hit & miss- but then that's like most fashion publications, you're not gonna like every cover, every month. i do agree with the whole 'teaser' thing you mention but the cover didn't pull me in, it didn't grab me.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think they could have made Kristen look a bit less barbie-ish on the cover. is she also wearing hair extensions?

i actually find this quite refreshing. its not an obvious swimwear shoot in the least and i appreciate that. so cudos to vogue italia for that.

Kristen's summer of love with the kids. It looks like everyone's too hot and tired during the day to get up to anything, but it all kicks off when the sun goes down.

Ann Ward is on the cover of the Beauty supplement "Beauty in Vogue ".

ann-ward01.jpg

Photographer: Ellen von Unwerth
Stylist: Sheila Single
Scan by me

^ Knew that would be the cover. Disappointing it's from the same spread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->