Vogue Italia May 2022 : Joan Smalls by Cho Gi-Seok

^ Because she is still to this day one of the very best top working high fashion models around. Her talent is even more obvious when she works against models such as Gigi, Kendall, Kaia or Hailey.

Joan looks perfect in every shoot: figure, face, hair and poses. I'm so happy to see her stick to modeling and enjoying big success with covers, campaigns, editorials and a few shows. It's sad that top black girls from her generation such as Chanel Iman, Sessilee Lopez and Arlenis Sosa vanished from the face of the fashion world. It's also cool to see Jordan Dun work but I feel she's more beauty focused and not an all-rounder such as Joean. That's why I've always prefered Joan over her, there's something about her professional skills as a major TOP model, like Raquel Zimmermann or Coco Rocha that make me truly happy to see them work and book major jobs with blue chip campaigns and covers. These girls alongside Gemma Ward for me and Daria Werbowy are from this wave of new super in the 2000 that took the fashion world by storm and really left a mark in the industry. Joan and Kylie achieved a success that I think many of us didn't believe in at first.

Joan stayed number 1 model of the world by models.com's rankings and she stayed for a long long time in comparison to other models. She's a favorite of designers, magazine editors, photographers and the fact that she's a very vibrant, nice and super smart girl makes it even easier to like her.

As for this particular shoot I like the cover but I would have chosen the last shot of the story for a darker edgier fashion, the first one is a tad gimmicky because of the styling.

Not bad. This magazine is doing well for three consecutive months already. I just wish that they have a different concept for Joan's cover editorial since this is quite similar to their January issue.

It's just funny that someone here questions Joan's relevance in modeling the way they question Meisel's talent in photography. Very...bold.

I’m so glad Joan has booked such a big cover. Was worried we were seeing less of her. It is really sad that she is the only black woman of her era kind of left in blue chip jobs bar jourdan here and there

Meisel's talent in photography.
Tallent in copying others work for decades, while other photographers who were doing original stuff were and still ignored or pushed away.

Smalls' tallent is probbably her agent who is pushing her everywhere. She is not any different from all top girls of past decade, no her body of work is more impressive

Giseok work for Vogue Korea its much simple and beautiful, idk what happens

Talentless and irrelevant.

This magazine has become a joke.

You've been aggressively hating on Joan since 2009, referring to her as irrelevant. That's over a decade of being spiteful. Hope it hasn't corroded your heart... where is Daria Strokous?

Anyway, good to see Joan back on Vogue Italia, a decade after her first cover for the magazine (March 2012, Haute Mess Issue) and this being her fifth.

Taken in the context of the last few years of VI, this is practically a masterpiece. I so wish they'd chosen the shot of her with the veil and the pink/purple Armani as the cover, though.

Not feeling this at all. Certainly surprised to see Joan Smalls on the cover of Vogue Italia. Good team all around, it just goes to show bad it is at Vogue Italia that you can have all of this in place, and yet still come out with a bad result.

Vogue Italia and Vogue France now feel like those digital "magazines" that invite "creatives" from around the world to submit content for a chance to be featured on their Instagram page...

Low-budget, try-hard, devoid of any vision or soul and pandering to the tastes and aesthetics of the masses. Where is the exclusivity? They should just add a "submissions: [email protected]" section on their Instagram pages and be done with it. The results wouldn't look much different from what we're getting now and it would also save Condé some money (after all, it's all about the bottom line for them these days). DIRE.

Joan is so underrated here, I can't believe it! She belongs to the last bombshell generation of models (Candice, Miranda, Natasha, Edita...), and I enjoy every story she does. I love to see her scoring Vogue Italia again, she deserved more back in the days. I hope she gets Vogue France (after CN change the new editor again, hahaha).

I saw it today at the supermarket....it looks good, also comes with an interview..the rest of the contents...i think a couple of reprints from Vogue UK, also one super messy editorial with Julia Saar and Jurguen Teller that for sure is the worst thing he shot in a long time, boring boring boring....

i didn't saw all the other contents just flipped fast....ah i remember a beauty editorial super meh...and what else....not much....

But honestly editions cannot sustain only for the coverstory, as a unity this vogue like the others with HOC is a mess,,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->