Vogue Japan June 2023 : Kristen McMenamy by Paul Kooiker

Strange composition. Has jellyfish energy and her pale visage matching the backgroind isnt helping.

It could be worst (like last month) but it is ok. Vogue JP starts to be so “exotic” and with a really really strange composition of colors and layout. Whats reallly happening?

Hate the layout, the blue and red don't match at all.
Yes she looks good but there's no pose, no energy and the end result is super boring.

Could have been better, but I think it's their best cover this year so far which doesn't say much.
I love Kristen's works and I'm just so happy that she scored another Vogue cover.

Always happy to see Kristen, she still represents a very strong and unique force in fashion to me and out of all of her peers she is undoubtedly the most interesting to see in print nowadays. This isn't her best work but her beauty pulls through and saves this mess of a cover which, despite its imperfections, might still be the best cover of Vogue Japan I've seen in a long while.

What editorial?
As already mentioned here, she as a mermaid by Tim Walker is excellent, Water & Oil by Meisel too, Machine Age by Helmut Newton... In addition to her campaign with Nadja for Atelier Versace by RA being one of the BEST things in fashion history!

It's passable considering their terrible covers this year so far, and the dress looks like a giant wig from Yayoi Kusama lol.

9ab4kXVB_o.gif

my own gif

Shocking colors, but I love this japanese treatment on Kristen.

VJ286_001_COVER_RGB_for_WEB.jpg

VOGUE JAPAN, JUNE 2023
Photographer: Paul Kooiker
Styled by Ai Kamoshita
Hair: Olivier Schawalder
Makeup: Daniel Sallstrom
Manicure: Edyta Betka
Casting director: Gabrielle Seo
Visuals director: Yukino Moore
Set Design: Sean Thomson
Production: Mini Title
Styling assistant: Raphael Del Bono
and Donnika Anderson
With Kristen McMenamy

IMG_3977_R2.jpg
6-Kristen-McMenamy-voguejapan.jpg.jpg
4-Kristen-McMenamy-voguejapan.jpg.jpg
5-Kristen-McMenamy-voguejapan.jpg.jpg
2-Kristen-McMenamy-voguejapan.jpg.jpg
7-Kristen-McMenamy-voguejapan.jpg.jpg
1-Kristen-McMenamy-voguejapan.jpg.jpg
8-Kristen-McMenamy-voguejapan.jpg.jpg
3-Kristen-McMenamy-voguejapan.jpg.jpg

vogue.jp

Is one of her worst covers, at least the editorial is better.

Sometimes I ask myself the question if I'm not tired of complaining so often and if it's still worth to write. But I remain passionate despite the tedious randomness of today's fashion world.

As often, I was highly interested when I read the title of the thread and turned out to be disappointed once I opened it.

Then, is Kristen still relevant today? Yes, yes, yes. An endless line of yes won't be enough, she's timeless if you ask me. But her signature style is absent from this cover and even from the editorial, where's the wild spirit she's known for, you know this ability to add a full dose of passion with a twist of craze to most pictures she's in? I can't see it here, at all, and I also don't consider Paul Kooiker to be the worst photographer around right now, he obviously can deliver good stuff but this just doesn't work.

Then, what to expect from Vogue Japan these days? Another question left with a question mark at the end of the day. And don't count me among those missing the old Vogue Nippon and its white backgrounds on the cover. But the lack of consistence, month after month, is painful to witness. Like many Vogues, like many magazines actually but suddenly you wake up and read Kristen McMenamy then feel as disappointed as if it was a random celeb on the cover. Even more, I'd say, considering her actual level and the waste of talent you get due to a complete lack of direction coming from the mag.

All the ingredients were here to make a hit out of it. And it's a total miss (an endless mess?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->