Wanted: A Good-looking Audience

fashionicon said:
Just goes to show you how important dressing nice is.

It could just be because I'm a fashion design major, but I hate it when people go to class in pajamas.

Not saying you should look like you going to a formal, but let's try not to look like you just rolled out of bed. Let's the professor know, and not to mention everyone else, that you could care less about the class.

:angry: Ooooh, that is the one thing that makes me want to punch! Pajama pants + outside the limits of your home = unacceptable! Even 20 years ago, people aspired to be neat! Not even fashionable, but neat for crying out loud!

I think we are being a bit naive to believe this "dress for the occasion" excuse. If you haven't noticed, when they zoom in on an audience member, you only see them from the neck up. I do not think it is a matter of what they are wearing, it is a matter of how they look. (have you ever seen an overweight woman in the front row? Didn't think so)

^How is it naive? I've been on Oprah and they really do suggest how you should dress. But seriously, why wouldn't you look your best if you knew you had a chance of being on tv for .5 seconds? It boggles my mind that someone would show up in duds:huh:

Erin said:
That is what they do. My friend and I were placed in the front row... we're pretty young... and were also dressed for the occasion. It's amazing what some people wear to these tapings... I just don't see anyting wrong with wanting that.

this had nothing to do with dressing. my mom is a very fashionable woman, it had to do with age. they put all the 20-somethings in the front, and the people who actually watch the show, middle aged women, to the side.

masquerade said:
this had nothing to do with dressing. my mom is a very fashionable woman, it had to do with age. they put all the 20-somethings in the front, and the people who actually watch the show, middle aged women, to the side.

How do you figure? That's not what I noticed.

i don't know why i was so surprised when i first read this cause it's tv and looks do matter.

Fabulyss said:
I think we are being a bit naive to believe this "dress for the occasion" excuse. If you haven't noticed, when they zoom in on an audience member, you only see them from the neck up. I do not think it is a matter of what they are wearing, it is a matter of how they look. (have you ever seen an overweight woman in the front row? Didn't think so)

Agree! It isnt about how you dress but if you are hot or not, young or old that kind of thing. I have noticed this for years and years. Of course, I dont watch her show anymore because I dont think she knows how to interview, but thats just me.

I for one dont care if people look like crap and I always thought going to class in your sweats was a college ritual? You are cramming, pulling all nighters, barely get any sleep, roll out of bed, that shows how dedicated you are. It is romanticizing it yes, but someone who walked in looking like a supermodel is boring and out of place, unless it is fashion school. However, that doesnt mean I would go to a talk show looking like sh*t. One is college, one is the real world.

kylie80 said:
I for one dont care if people look like crap and I always thought going to class in your sweats was a college ritual? You are cramming, pulling all nighters, barely get any sleep, roll out of bed, that shows how dedicated you are. It is romanticizing it yes, but someone who walked in looking like a supermodel is boring and out of place, unless it is fashion school. However, that doesnt mean I would go to a talk show looking like sh*t. One is college, one is the real world.

Yeah, as much as I don't like to give sterotypes to my generation, where I go to school, that defnitley isn't the case.

Here at my school, it's the people who stay out all night and party that come in looking like "crap" as you put it. Even then, I rarely see people walking around in pajamas. It's funny that I never saw the valedictorian dressed in sleepwear.

Cramming is for people who weren't prepared for the test beforehand, and someone who pulls all-nighters is just another word for "procrastination",IMO.:innocent:

No one said you had to be dressed to the nines for cripes sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
kylie80 said:
Agree! It isnt about how you dress but if you are hot or not, young or old that kind of thing. I have noticed this for years and years. Of course, I dont watch her show anymore because I dont think she knows how to interview, but thats just me.

It takes just as much time to throw on jeans, a sweater and tennis shoes as it does sloppy sweat pants... your professors are more likely to think you were out late partying than up late studying:innocent:

NOE said:
It takes just as much time to throw on jeans, a sweater and tennis shoes as it does sloppy sweat pants... your professors are more likely to think you were out late partying than up late studying:innocent:

And what does it matter? Any good teacher would judge a person based on their performance instead of their appearance. If the teachers are professors a good guess is that they have other things on their minds than the fashion sense of their students. Naturally, "fashion professors" are exempt of this generalization. Of course, in most professions it's beneficial to dress well, so there's no harm in starting to get good habits at college.

iluvjeisa said:
And what does it matter? Any good teacher would judge a person based on their performance instead of their appearance. If the teachers are professors a good guess is that they have other things on their minds than the fashion sense of their students. Naturally, "fashion professors" are exempt of this generalization. Of course, in most professions it's beneficial to dress well, so there's no harm in starting to get good habits at college.

Sorry, i was just trying to make a point that dressing sloppy in college does not equal dedication to your studies (as someone mentioned), thats just silly.

But seriously, in the real world, your appearance really does determine how people view you, whether or not it should (and maybe this isn't so true to your professors in college... but it's pretty darn true in all other areas of life).

^sorry, I actually was trying to get things back on topic by explaining that appearance is important in this world:flower: ... and if you are dressed the part, it will help you get to your goal... even if your goal is only sitting front row on Oprah:P

i always wondered how all her guests were in chanel and lovely banana republic dresses. i guess its all tv

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katiepeaches
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->