What Are Your Thoughts On Plastic Surgery?

Originally posted by eloes@Apr 27th, 2004 - 4:32 am
WARNING about nose surgery: If you sing, do NOT get a nosejob. The surgery can change your voice and you can never fix that. I don't remember where I learned that, but it has to do with the structure inside of your nose.

The whole idea freaks me out so much because I love to sing. :unsure: I'm worried that if I ever break my nose it could affect my voice, which would just break my heart.
Micheal Jackson? :ninja:

Originally posted by ahhGucci+May 12th, 2004 - 4:22 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ahhGucci @ May 12th, 2004 - 4:22 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-eloes@Apr 27th, 2004 - 4:32 am
WARNING about nose surgery: If you sing, do NOT get a nosejob. The surgery can change your voice and you can never fix that. I don't remember where I learned that, but it has to do with the structure inside of your nose.

The whole idea freaks me out so much because I love to sing. :unsure: I'm worried that if I ever break my nose it could affect my voice, which would just break my heart.
Micheal Jackson? :ninja:[/b][/quote]
actually that's very true. i think it's probably the reason britney spears' voice has gotten weaker which each album she's put out. look at her nose circa 1998 or 1999 and look at it now and it's quite obvious she's had some work done.

I used to be against all elective plastic surgery but then I started to wonder....is it really any different than taking medicine for your skin. Accutane is kinda dangerous and can dramatically alter your appearance, but i took it anyways to get rid of a few minor pimples. What im saying is, if it makes someone feel good about themselve, where do you draw the line?

I'm all for it :flower:

I've oly had one procedure. A breast augmentation (is that how you spell it in english?). Anyway... I sort of had to do it because my right breast was almost 2 cup sizes smaller than my left breast. I was so worried about it that I would always wear a tee-shirt over my bikinis for fear that people would stare I also refused to be seen topless with boyfriends. :cry:

SO I got them done at 18 and its the greatest thing I have ever done! All my friends whink I have a nice rack :lol:

Anyway, I'm really happy with my choice. I dont think I'll have any thing done for a long time because I'm still young. Maybe after I have kids or when gravity takes its turn I'll get something else done.

Originally posted by Sephora_Socialite@Apr 20th, 2004 - 12:12 am
My mother wants me to have some stuff done. Some basic liposuction/lipoplasty on different areas especially. My tummy and my thighs mostly.
You're still young and your skin is still elastic. Give it time, drink lots of water and work out a bit and your skin will get much firmer. :smile:

Anyway most plastic surgeons wouldn't give you lipo anyway because you're still a bit too young. Any good doctor knows their limits.

Also, lipo suction has weird side effects if you gain some weight again afterwards. Lets say you get lipo done on your tummy and you were to gain weight again, you'd have lumps and bumps all over your tummy (almost like a severe case of cellulite)

My doctor showed me and my mother a picture of a woman who had lipo done on her thighs when she was 22. At 30 she had gained some weight back and the fat on her thighs was bumpy. Looked as though she had craters all over her thighs :yuk:

Me I don't think of plastic surgery as a bad thing (for or on people) except when two things happen-it looks so obvious that you had some work and when you're too obsessed with it. :yuk:

I think if you are insecure with a part of your body and you can change it, and it will make you a happier, more secure person than you should go for it. I personally plan on having my nose done once I am 18 (doctor's wont do men until then). However I do not believe in re-doing your entire body, it is sick to think of those women who are literally made of like all some type of polymer.

I think people can do whatever they like and if its available, why not, its not unethical. However, this doesnt mean i find people who are more plastic then flesh more beutiful.

regardless my personal opinion, one huge problem with cosmetic 'correction' (face jobs) is that one needs to re-do every once in a while, its 'addictive' and with a cost.

some people that have been into cosmetic 'correction' for years are a real sad sight .

regarding lipo etc, it's also making people lazy to work out or take care of their health, since they can always lipo twice (or more)

i've also heard that lipo etc can be real painful

I talked with a Cosmetic Surgeon recently and he said if you have lipo more than twice there will be differences and disorders that will happen to your body.

i think plastic surgery is an amazing gift. if you spend your entire life thinking you are ugly or not as good as someone else, you can change it.

people say you should just live with it, or change your way of thinking, or get used to it. but its not that easy. you are judged on your appearance no matter what. you cant change the way everyone thinks. sometimes its better to bend to the wind, rather than push against it.

i personally have never had anything done, but someday i am sure i will.

also- i think people use plastic surgery as a get out of jail free card too often. everyone has flaws, but everyone should not correct them. thats why i feel that it is important for plastic surgeons to have each patient have a psychological evaluation done prior to surgery. too bad thats not a requirement...

on the swan - this show is a disgrace to plastic surgery. all the doctors on it should be stripped of their licenses for pushing surgery on people who seriously need therapy on the outside rather than work on their outside.

I did have plastic surgery. It wasn't anything special, so hardly anyone notice. But I do feel much much better now !! :wink:
So yeah, all the way !!

Personally, I don't think I'd ever get it. I'd be lying if I said that I never felt really bad about certain features of mine or considered changing them, but I don't think that I'd get plastic surgery to correct them. I think I've gotten to the point where I'm okay with these things--there are still moments where I feel yucky, sure, but I think I'm okay with my looks now and if someone talks s--t about my looks, screw 'em. :smile: I'm not going to change what genetics has dealt me just for them.

But I don't feel comfortable bashing people who have had plastic surgery as a group because I know that I'm lucky enough to be in a position in my life where I am not going to be judged by the people who employ me on how many wrinkles I have or don't have, and I'm lucky enough to have grown up with parents that didn't encourage me to change myself in that way or get plastic surgery.

whatever makes people happy :smile:

for myself..i probably wont get anything done..god knows ive thought about it a lot but im a chicken when it comes to pain :P

Sephora_Socialite, instead of getting surgery to please your mom, I think you should look into talking to a counselor about your body image issues. That could be extremely helpful.

To me it really depends on the motivation and situation.

I want to get a mini tummy tuck, because I have strech marks on my stomach and the skin was torn (when I weighed more then I do now) and is loose and won't tighten up no matter how much I have worked out and I've worked out...a whole lot.

I have come to accept that I do not need a six-pack, I just want my stomach to look normal and it does not right now and that is not just my somewhat warped view.

I have to be careful though about plastic surgery because I have BDD...

Last edited by a moderator:
I always think to each his or her own. There's nothing wrong with doing something for yourself. I just don't see where you get the satisfaction from changing what you naturally physically are. That's my personal thing though. (and I hate my nose)

I actually met a woman several weeks ago (who claimed to have never had plastic surgery mind you)..she was absolutely gorgeous minus her Michael Jackson, obviously redone nose:shock: . So people going into it should know, changes may not come out natural, and it really doesn't change who or what you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugsrat
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"