What To Wear On The Job As a Fashion Intern?

jiji7

Reaction score
Didn't find any info on this except for what to wear to the interview.

I just got an internship position at one of the top fashion mags in the world.

I start soon and need to get my wardrobe together, but i am unsure of what is appropriate.

At the interview people in the office were dressed casual chic. People had jeans on including the editor that interviewed me.

I am making sure to get some basics. I have a leather jacket a la olsen twins, basic tees in black and white, black skinny pants, selection of chic stilettos and booties. I have many jeans, but i am not sure if it is okay to wear them.

Can I get some ideas? Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if they wore jeans, then I don't see why you couldn't.

When I go into a situation where I'm sure of the level of dressiness but it's important to fit in I try to wear something that I can quickly adapt, like by removing a scarf or pulling on a cardigan to dress up/down just a notch to match the crowd better.

Try and figure out a few failsafe outfits for your first days, and use those days to take in your surroundings and just go from there.

Jeans, a tank ,and a little black jacket?

What magazine are you interning for, or are you not allowed to say?

^ i don't know if i am allowed to say, but i assure you it is one of the top.

would it be appropriate to ask my contact whether or not jeans are okay?

I imagine fitted, dark wash jeans would be okay, depending on what you pair them with. However, it's always better to skip pieces you're unsure about - better safe than sorry. Good luck!

Didn't find any info on this except for what to wear to the interview.

I just got an internship position at one of the top fashion mags in the world.

I start soon and need to get my wardrobe together, but i am unsure of what is appropriate.

At the interview people in the office were dressed casual chic. People had jeans on including the editor that interviewed me.

I am making sure to get some basics. I have a leather jacket a la olsen twins, basic tees in black and white, black skinny pants, selection of chic stilettos and booties. I have many jeans, but i am not sure if it is okay to wear them.

Can I get some ideas? Thanks guys!

Let me guess...are you interning at Harper's Bazaar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im also guessing is bazaar because I dont see Wintour prancing around Vogue office's in denim.
BUT Id say:
If everybody's wearing jeans than stick to that-dont over do it though jeans are ok in moderation, you dont want to seem like the jean and heel look is all you got.
Maybe you should get some skirts or casual dresses- for when you know your not going to be moving around alot-wouldnt want any mishaps. and depending on your budget Id buy one really nice piece ( one from the magazine's favorite designer's) and wear it in the middle or towards the end of you stay so that you might leave a lasting impression.
aside from that what you listed sounds like a good group of clothing choices :wink:

Denim should be fine. On the first day dress quite neutral and you can suss the vibe from everyone, but being in fashion editorial, most likely than not anything goes I think as long as it's not obviously unkept. And wear comfortable shoes!!! Long hours and lots of running around, I can assure you!

Whatever you wear, accessorize - they'll change/elevate the entire mood of your outfit, not to mention show personality and sense of style!

why can't you tell which magazine are you interning at? Is it a wrong thing to do? I made a mistake by showing off to readers in my blog that I am attached to a top fash mag as an intern before it commence. But oh well.
Anyway, I guess I will go to the office in just jeans and a nice top.

ooh! This thread is good. Thanks for starting it. I'm still applying for summer internships at fashion mags and one of the things I've been worrying about is what I'll wear. In fiction and in rumor you hear that everyone dresses in really expensive stylish labels, which is 100% not possible for me being a full-time student with almost no disposable income. Of course I'm not as worried about that as actually getting an internship first, but it has been on my mind. I work part-time at BR so I was thinking I would just wear clothing from there? It's casual and professional, urban and classic, and above all affordable clothing.

If jeans are the thing you could try using accessories to pump it up a bit. Like try a colorful silk scarf or some necklaces or cool earrings with a blazer. I don't know. But let's keep this thread going with ideas.:D

Not everyone wears really expensive things. A lot of the people in higher up positions dress very plainly, some dress amazingly well, others are always in designers, others just stick to black pants and black tshirt and flats, really anything goes I think. Just look neat and professional (but not in a suit, obviously). First day dress classic, and then you can feel the vibe from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->