What To Wear On The Job As a Fashion Intern?

I'm interning at a TOP US fashion bible now, and while the editors are in runway, the interns have a bit more freedom. I find it best to wear chic-er outfits in the beginning of the week (fancy shoes, dressy pants), and maybe on Thursday and Friday, mix nice jeans and Chuck's with fashion-y tops. Interns generally do alot of running around, so heels aren't generally expected for everyday. Though you should invest in a few high-quality statement pieces like a leopard YSL belt or one pair of Louboutin's. Now is a good time to get designer on sale...

wwd, june 5, 2008...

Fashion Tips for Interns From the Pros
By Stephanie D. Smith
It's that time again: interns are swarming the halls of publishing companies across the city, eager to learn, work hard and make memorable impressions on the higher-ups.

And once they arrive, editors know how to spot them: "You always know the first day of a new crop," said Ann Shoket, editor in chief of Seventeen. "It's a bunch of girls dressed to the nines that want to make a really strong impression. They're wearing heels, ridiculously short skirts, they've got their new handbag, makeup done, their hair done. They're definitely dressed to see and be seen."

Young men are just as overachieving: "If we have a guy in the closet he's going to wear a suit or sports jacket the first day," said GQ creative director Jim Moore. "And then we pull them aside and say that, 'Hey, you look great but you might want to dress more comfortably.'"

While some interns leave lasting sartorial impressions on editors, others sometimes miss the mark. To help interns survive the summer without a fashion faux pas, WWD compiled a guide to dressing for success. A general rule would be to avoid anything too tight, too short or too casual (if you can wear it on the beach, leave it at home). Below, editors provide more detailed dos and don'ts:

- Do dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

Lucky editor in chief Kim France observed that, in general, interns often don't dress to really impress. "I'm really surprised that they don't overdress. Some of them show up right on point, but they never show up too professional. The best thing to do is take a cue from the editors of the magazines where you work." One example of a way-too-informally dressed intern was a young woman who worked at Elle. "Last year a girl showed up with a bikini top on with a little jacket over it," recalled Elle editor in chief Roberta Myers. "It was definitely a bathing suit. Probably not appropriate, unless you want to work for Hawaiian Tropic."

- Don't even think about wearing flip-flops.

Nearly every editor expressed how much they loathed seeing flip-flops in the office. "The flip-flop thing gets me," said GQ's Moore. "They're rolling clothing racks and can roll it over their toe. If you really have to do the sandal thing, go for something more constructed, like a John Varvatos sandal. I don't care if you wear Birkenstocks. But I think a thong is for the beach, not even on the streets of New York. There's something about having your feet exposed to the elements." Seventeen's Shoket agreed: "I'm not a fan of flip-flops in the office. You should not dress like you're going on the Jitney to the Hamptons. I'm fine with another kind of sandal."

Ballet flats are generally accepted, especially on interns working in the fashion closets. "We do embrace a ballet flat for the interns, because they do have to pound the pavement," to return and pick up clothes, said Vogue senior market editor Meredith Melling Burke. But others still prefer the gesture of wearing heels to the office. "I don't recommend wearing flats," said Suze Yalof Schwartz, Glamour executive fashion editor at large. "Some of the interns look great in flats. But heels send a signal, and I like the signal that they send. But the truth is, a lot of them are running around, so they do keep ballet flats in their bag. Ballet flats are for outside of 4 Times Square."

- Do keep underwear under your garments.

"The fashion interns are going to be crouching in the closet and bending down, so you need to make sure your underwear stays below your waistband. You need to make sure that you're not flashing your underpants to the messengers," said Shoket, advising against flashing a "whale tale" — when your thong comes above the waistband of your pants in the back. "We've had whale tale sightings in the past." Also keep all bra straps covered. Exposed lingerie, said Vogue's Burke, "was only cool on Carrie Bradshaw in 'Sex and the City.'"

- Don't go too short.

Shorts are a point of conflict for most editors, with a majority voting not to wear them in the office. "I would rather someone not come in [wearing] shorts. They can wear jeans, sneakers, a crumpled-up button down that's been sitting on their futon for a couple of days if they choose. But no shorts," said Dan Peres, Details editor in chief. Vogue's Burke believed a longer-length short is acceptable for women. "You can look very polished if it's a crisp city short. Short shorts, there's a line you have to draw." Michelle McCool, Cosmopolitan fashion director, also believed the city short is an acceptable look "as long as you're not wearing them with a strappy sandal. And no cutoffs."

- Finally, do have a look.

The interns who have been most memorable have been those who've had their own signature style while abiding by general rules of decency — and editors do reflect fondly on such standouts. Glamour's Schwartz will even write about their inspiration on her glamour.com blog. "I had this incredible intern. She wore shorts, she could even wear a romper, and look amazing. I love when interns take fashion risks. One day she would come in and look like Heidi. The next day she'd look like Sarah Jessica Parker in 'Sex and the City.'"

"A lot of kids will abandon their personal style for a couple of days, or they'll try to be too cooky," said GQ's Moore. "Both are inappropriate. If there's one thing that I would encourage, it's to wear something every day that is about their personal style. One guy wore a tie every day with a long-sleeve shirt, a short-sleeve shirt, with a cardigan or suspenders. That was always fun to see what he'd be wearing."

Great article kimair :smile: All very relevant, but I'm surprised Suze from Glamour prefers heels on their interns! So many interns at Vogue and other Conde Nast magazines, etc wore flats. Hm, something to think about :smile:

I start my internship Monday! im so excited, i know the dress code is casual so ill be wearing a nice shirt and jeans. should i wear sneakers or flats?

Flats for sure!!! Whenever I start a new internship on the first day I dress nice, fashionably, but nothing too much, and then I gauge how everyone else is and go from there :smile:

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it XxXRedRubYXxX

When I did my internship flats all the way. I did too many errands to think about heels... seriously.

I interned in flats about 70% of the time, and the rest was in heels (though none over 3 inches).

You'd be surprised how many interns can wear 4 inch heels and still carry freight boxes to pack clothing and accessories in, and running around doing errands!

personally i think it depends where your interning... im interning at Fashion PR boutique agency in sunny california.. its been cute summer dresses and sandals all the way :]

^ absolutely! I think that it's definitely different in NY where the interns are running all over the city to showroom's, etc. It's interesting how some of the editor's prefer heels. If you can pull off a heel while running around all day, I think that would definitely impress people you work with!

Good luck XcxXRedRubYXxX...how's it going!?

wow I couldnt imagine running around all day in heels (not to mention I have a thing for 4in+ heels that never get worn)! I wear flats at my intership because I can get things done faster and easier...but im sure there are those lucky people that can zip around while wearing their stillettos, im just not one of them!

maybe start with flats until you see how much walking you do, if you are at your desk all day then go with heels at least once in awhile

yea...walking around in flats all day with no real support killed me feet. I developed a minor case of plantar fasciitis due to being on my feet all day. By the time I realized the issue even padded insoles were worthless.

Funny enough, there was just an article in Vogue magazine recently about how many women in the fashion industry had developed this due to wearing flats.

yea...walking around in flats all day with no real support killed me feet. I developed a minor case of plantar fasciitis due to being on my feet all day. By the time I realized the issue even padded insoles were worthless.

Funny enough, there was just an article in Vogue magazine recently about how many women in the fashion industry had developed this due to wearing flats.

HEY J :wink:

Dress code for an internship?

I'm just starting out as an intern for a local fashion designer. I'm thrilled to be working there, but I have a few questions about what's appropriate to wear. It is a very small company (the designer, a woman who works as a manager and stylist, two seamstresses, and me!) but they do great work and are very highly regarded within the Boston fashion community. That being said, I feel a little pressure to dress well!

Of the two days I've been there so far, the designer has worn a shift dress and heels and one of her own designs and wedges. The other woman wore the designer's leggings and a lace-trimmed tee the first day and a bandage skirt/tee/chiffon jacket combo the second day.

Today, I wore a little orange dress, pumps, and a great pair of earrings. What else would you deem intern-appropriate in this environment, based off of what the others wore? I need help! I was thinking of a cap-sleeve lace blouse (with a tank underneath, of course), tucked into a bandage skirt with a long vintage lace vest and a pair of heeled oxfords. Thoughts?

xoxo Hannah

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-06-21 at 18.14 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-06-21 at 18.14 #2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 16
im starting at DNA Models
tomorrow...should I dress a certain way?
the people who work there dress fairly normal

Trevorfashionisto... I would say wear a pair of nice jeans or slacks (no rips please) with a button up shirt (no tie) and a belt. Also if you have a cool pair of shoes (such as oxfords) that might look good with your outfit. I think its best to keep it simple yet with peices of your own style apparent. Hope that helps! :smile:

Question: When interning for a certain brand/designer, do you have to dress with the same style as the brand? I just applied for an internship with Faconnable, only to realize after that the clothing is not my style at all. But then again I would think they care more about my work then dressing like the brand right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->