What is your definition of classic?

maybe some ppl here are getting confused w/wardrobe staples & classics !
i certainly am . . ! :lol:
:innocent:

...yes... I miss a pair of perfect black trousers and some skirt... and turtleneck...:wink:

i_<3_chanel said:
maybe some ppl here are getting confused w/wardrobe staples & classics !...
I'm confused then too :lol: I always thought the terms were interchangeable :huh: Is that not the case?

i've always thought staples are those basic things you wear time & time again . . but which are too basic to really define yr style .
just act as a base to build on like
white tanks, black cashmere jumpers . . etc

& classics are more the statement pieces . . coats / jackts / skirts
which never go out of style . .

i guess wht i'm trying to get at is tht maybe for some ppl cowboy boots / uggs are staples but imo they're def. not 'classics' . . !

:wacko:

:flower:

I'm thinking about it too...

Last edited by a moderator:
i_<3_chanel said:
i've always thought staples are those basic things you wear time & time again . . but which are too basic to really define yr style .
just act as a base to build on like
white tanks, black cashmere jumpers . . etc

& classics are more the statement pieces . . coats / jackts / skirts
which never go out of style . .

i guess wht i'm trying to get at is tht maybe for some ppl cowboy boots / uggs are staples but imo they're def. not 'classics' . . !

:wacko:

:flower:

like this? for example leopard coat?

Attachments

• 1997 12 20 Leopard Coat 2.jpg
    1997 12 20 Leopard Coat 2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 0
Ah, I see Chanel. Well, I see validity in your point...

It seems a fine line though... jeans would be a staple, but not a classic? A trench would be a classic, but not a staple? Or is being a staple inclusive in the definition of a classic?

:wacko: is right!! :lol:

You are not alone :lol:

The leopard trench is a great example! Definitely a statement piece, but I still kind of consider it both a classic AND a staple. I suppose I'm thinking of a staple also in terms of being something you reach for that you know will make you feel great and I see the leopard trench as being one of those. But on the other hand, it probably isn't something you would wear all the time like the basics Chanel pointed out like a T or a black sweater...

So, I guess I can't really differentiate very well, but I hope to fill my closet with both... whether they be the same pieces or not :P

it's the way you look at it . . imo !
but yes it is a fineline & it's confusing . . & i'm over complicating this ! :lol:

it's like i doubt anyone will wear a trench 5 days a week . .
but jeans . . maybe. so tht's my idea of a staple !
but jeans ? are they enough to make a statement . . not really imo
the trench . . . yes

it's my definition of classic i guess tht it's smthn which never goes out of style
& it's a part of a v.defined / maybe even iconic look ^_^
so in tht way it could apply to jeans, if you think abt tht way ! :magic:

my point is more relevant to items like cowboy boots / shrugs etc.
again this is personal style so evryone has different ways of looking at things !
ok. im going stop. i'm confusing myself !? :lol: :flower:

hmmm...chanel, I kinda get what you're saying. This is my take on things.
Staples are like things that every wardrobe must have in order for the rest of their wardrobe to function e.g. black tank top, a pair of good fitting jeans, a white t-shirt etc.

A classic is something that doesn't go out of style and can be relied upon whenever. Like a little black dress, a trench-coat, the perfect white shirt. The word 'classic' also seems to evoke something timeless and maybe pieces of fashion evoked by old movie stars. I dunno...everytime I hear the phrase 'That's a classic', images of Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, Grace Kelly go through my mind. A classic could also be something iconic like a Chanel suit or a Birkin bag.

Ok...I realised that my points aren't making any sense and I'm confused again. Damn...I really thought I got it sorted in my head!

absolut classic among parfumes!

(elle)

Attachments

• 111720050832200047.jpg
    111720050832200047.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
Timeless Fashion !

What items do you believe are timeless, that will truly never out of style. What fashion items from 1900 are still relevant today? What about 1970?

Is it even possible to have an item that can't goout of style?

I think there are very few "fashion" items that survive during the decades... Stuff that lasts is usually functional/practical/simple, often originating from military wear/workwear or truly revolutionary designs.

I'd say some examples are jeans (like Levi's), the classic Chanel suit and the original Burberry trenchcoats. They just are, they're sometimes trendy but most of the time they just are basics that work year after year after year. Of course there are trendy variations of these as well, but the classic shapes and designs have lasted for a very long time.

That being said, I do think that most styles will "disappear" eventually. Be it after 20 years or 200.

i think you are totally right tott...

military/utility style clothing is always 'in' because is is functional and useful and therefore always works...
denim falls into that category...
i also think that anything 'nautical' will always work, in spite of trends...
ie-stripes...
anything equestrian...ie-riding boots...
anything dancewear inspired seems to fall outside of trends but always look good...ie-ballet flats...leggings

it seems that many of the things that endure are not gender specific...
or perhaps once were and have been adopted by the general public...

it-turtleneck sweater, cardigans, henley shirts

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->