Can a reality show make a supermodel??

^
"In order to become a supermodel one must be on all the covers all over the world at the same time so that people can recognise the girls.

"That is, for now, not possible, not least because the advertising industry is very much taken nowadays by popstars and actresses. Supermodels like we once were don't exist any more."

There are so many beautiful models around, it is almost impossible for a handful to become real celebrities, Miss Schiffer added in the magazine Fivetonine.
source

The industry atm only cares about Paris Hiltons, Mileys Cirus etc celebs like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polina Barbasova, winner of Scandinavia's Next Top Model walked in F/W 09.10 fashion week and was a Givenchy exclusive, which is HUGE for an NTM girl.
She didn't win, she was the runner-up :wink:

Anne V., Nicole Trunfio and Heidi Klum all won modeling shows.
Anne was in fashionably loud Europe, which was supposedly on MTV
Nicole a MMASM like show in Australia
and Heidi on Model 92 (I think) in Germany.

If you base in on global celebrity, Heidi has that, and Nicole and Anne no doubt soon will with SI (Anne should get a cover, she's been in it plenty of times) and MMASM (if Nicole stays on as host).

I think many top model contestants are unfairly stigmatized for their tentures on television. A very small percentage of the population fits the model standards: skyscraper heights, measurements within two inches of the 34-24-34 ideal, photogenic looks. Most of those television contestants fit that criteria. No one can tell me that every one of them just wasn't qualified to be a top model.

Stigmas are only part of it, though. American models are just not in right now.

anyone can become famous for anything in past few yrs....

I think many top model contestants are unfairly stigmatized for their tentures on television. A very small percentage of the population fits the model standards: skyscraper heights, measurements within two inches of the 34-24-34 ideal, photogenic looks. Most of those television contestants fit that criteria. No one can tell me that every one of them just wasn't qualified to be a top model.

Stigmas are only part of it, though. American models are just not in right now.

I think in the US, the stigma is deserved. Tyra's America's Next Top Model is the prime culprit. Tyra is trying to change an industry that dictates otherwise. She awarded the prize to a plus size model. Sorry, Whitney may be the poster child for the "normal" sized people, but that's not what the fashion industry is looking for and you are not going to see her walking at Fashion Week any time soon.

Pretty much all of the winners are not runway material.

I think it's different for international shows. They really are looking for real runway girls. They are not just creating drama TV.

This has probably been said a million times but most of the Next Top Model shows are about ratings and entertainment not finding the 'Next Top Model'. There are a few very rare success stories, but as ANTM is age 18 and above only, well all the decent models are usually signed by then. A few of the shows accept contestents aged 16 and up (the final three in AusNTM at the moment are all 16). I think the Australia Girlfriend Model Seach includes models as young as eleven.

There is of cause the negativity of being associated with a reality tv show, I think if you want to model, simply send some pics to an agency.

Some boys from Make me a supermodel actually were showed in model cards before ss2010 fashionweeks started...but none of them got booked for shows....

Polina Barbasova, winner of Scandinavia's Next Top Model walked in F/W 09.10 fashion week and was a Givenchy exclusive, which is HUGE for an NTM girl.

She was the runner-up (we haven't, however, seen too much of the winner Kamilla Alnes), and it was Norway's next top model, not Scandinavia's :smile:

Bun anyways, I think Polina is great, and I really think she can do good. The Givenchy show is an excellent start.

No: a supermodel must maintain her mystery and allure. She has to be an elusive object of fascination. A reality show ruins the fantasy.

Plus if she is good enough, she doesn't need some lame show to begin with.

In the USA on shows like Top Model, the people they pick are for more ratings and drama, rather than appearance and potential, it seems. They just want people to watch the show for good drama so they pick the ones who will create that. That seems to be the real purpose of the show to me. I think if the girl was truly a top model, she wouldn't need to go on a show like that, and an agency would pick her up without a silly show having these girls make fools of themselves just for TV ratings. In other countries, the show may be taken more seriously, but if you haven't seen the version aired in the US with Tyra, you should see some of these nasty personalities and train wrecks that they end up choosing. They are disasters waiting to happen and it's clear from the very beginning of the show.

^yeah, that happens basically with all the TV shows-reality shows in US ...

The show, "The Model Agent" clearly had no drama, really nothing, it was pleasant to see the girls being friendly to others.

Another successful ANTM alum is C5 winner Nicole, she has done a lot of work in Asia and has been on the cover of Marie Claire and I think she has has been in an Elle ed, in addition to a slew of fashion ads.

I think one advantage that the non-US NTMs have is that their participation and win is a source of pride, versus in the US the attitude is almost the opposite. The Australian and Russian winners appeared in their local Vogue editions shortly after their wins, I think at least in the Australia case their NTM affiliation is noted, so NTM got them in the door. When they go outside their home country these girls have a Vogue tear sheet which is MAJOR and in turn opens other doors.

I think that any ANTM model (winner or non-winner) that aspires to be a top model needs to get out of the US. While none have achieved top model status, the ones that have gone outside the US have appeared in major magazines and walked in major shows. If more ANTM models went overseas and as that pipeline grows, then I think one or more top models will emerge.

Even though we get juiced over high fashion, it is difficult to break into and the pay is low until you break through. I suspect that a lot of these girls are happy being NY and LA commercial and catalog models - you get paid well, you don't have to starve yourself, you are in your home country, you get invited to hot parties and events and in some cases paid to appear, et. al.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alice burdeu pretty much dominated after she won AusNTM... 3 vogue covers, and walking major shows in 2 seasons and several campaigns, including D&G and Rykiel.

aliceburdeu22.jpg

photo from elite & papermag.com

Agee, I agree about the prize part. The US NTM winners get a back cover on Seventeen, which is not a fashion magazine by any means, and they sign with Elite. Now don't get me wrong- Elite is a top notch agency and anyone would be very fortunate to sign with them, but it's not IMG or Women, an agency where simply being on their board is enough to book a show (but this isn't the place to discuss the politics of agencies). Starting age is to their disadvantage as well.

I cannot defend the upcoming cycle of ANTM though- all models 5'7 or under. That's taking them even further from their goal of finding an all encompassing, Isabeli/Natalia Vodianova type of model, strictly into commercial territory. But watch- this will be the one cycle to produce a beautiful new face, haha.

I cannot defend the upcoming cycle of ANTM though- all models 5'7 or under. That's taking them even further from their goal of finding an all encompassing, Isabeli/Natalia Vodianova type of model, strictly into commercial territory. But watch- this will be the one cycle to produce a beautiful new face, haha.

But Tyra says that a model is "ugly-pretty" and not "pretty-pretty"; what makes you think a beautiful girl will win ANTM anytime soon? A beautiful winner whose petite would be logical and Tyra can't have that! :rolleyes: ^_^ :P

Don't ask Tyra Banks. Clearly her formula isn't working too well.

^ I know! I still don't get how Whitney won the title of Americans next top model. She's a full figured model who won't be sharing much runway space with any designers. Tyra simply is trying to change an industry and it's not going to happen.

^Sorry I've never watched that show but is she the one makes the decisions about the girls that leave and the ones that stay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->