What to wear to court

papa_levante

oh! darling
Reaction score
:shock:

I have court today and didn't have a single clue of what to wear.

I definitely figured black slacks would suffice. I just needed something to match with it. Everything ended up looking too flirty and cute for court. I needed to look professional and serious, like, "Yes, I'm sorry for what I did and no, this isn't how I normally dress because I would rather you not take me away in hand cuffs for wearing blue jeans, Chuck Taylors and a T-Shirt that reads, 'I Love College.'"

:ninja:

the last time i was in court i served on a jury for three days. i decided to not wear makeup and just dressed as blandly as possible. i did not want the defendant to recognize me at a later time. (i think i even wore jeans on the third day)

i think black slacks are a very good idea. also maybe a black blazer?

For something like going to court, definitely go for something professional, sleek, a little conservative but not too much. Black or charcoal slacks paired with a corresponding blazer with a clean simple white blouse underneath would be nice. And why not wear a bold heel or flat to add some flair? Albeit, this sort of situation isn't necessarily one to sort of dress all glamorous for, but like I always say: I never leave the house without at least looking presentable and put together.
:flower:

Ahh I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for a while but didn't want to scream 'My name is Rebecca and I have a court summons'. Unlike you lucky people,I'm not on Jury duty:( So what do you wonderful people suggest for people who are not guilty I hasten to add :wink: and need to look not guilty in crimes against fashion too ^_^

I would recommend something quite similar to what you would wear for an interview, except softer (i.e., possibly more color). I believe yellow and blue is supposed to be a particularly likeable combination per academic studies ... so you could do a yellow dress shirt with a navy jacket.

I would leave your flair at home.

In a prior volunteer position, I dressed several women for court (for custody hearings while they were in rehab). I tried to keep them out of anything sexy (no, not that clingy knit!), and I did sometimes use black. Once I used a black 3/4 sleeve cardigan over a dress, and black conservative open-toe shoes. Looking serious but not severe I would say is a good idea. Part of it is your coloring and how you look in black and grey. If black makes you look a step away from the morgue, I would keep it far away from your face.

I'd suggest blazer, collared shirt (white preferably), charcoal grey/black pants (NO JEANS), and black flats or heels (preferably no kitten heels).

No overt jewelry. A simple watch would suffice.

^ Just out of curiosity, why no kitten heels? I think of them as pretty conservative, in general.

Wear an "I'm with Stupid" t-shirt and make sure the arrow is pointing to your lawyer :stuart:

No, I agree with ta-ta's suggestion of interview wear.

:rofl: I'll certainly be with stupid. :P

I have to go back for a pre-trial. I pleaded so now, I meet with an attorney about a bargain with the District Attorney. -_- FML

I'm taking everyone's suggestions into consideration. Thanks eternitygoddess about the watch. That simple piece of jewelry would certainly help!

My sister was on Jury duty once and all she talked about was what the plaintiff and defendants wore.
Parachute style tracksuits teamed with court shoes (which is a kind of office version of a kitten heel) She said each day of the trial when they all rocked up she tried hard not to start laughing.
So my advice would be to shun said outfit.

^ I believe court shoes = pumps. Pumps are fine, but agreed, not with the parachute tracksuit :lol:

I was instructing at a trial about six months ago and the other party rocked up to give evidence and be cross examined dressed in shorts, thongs and a baseball cap. It wasn't by a long shot the only factor in the judge giving my client exactly what she'd asked for and reaming the other side out in the process, but it helped a little bit. :lol: Just wear something conservative but not too severe.

^ Just out of curiosity, why no kitten heels? I think of them as pretty conservative, in general.

To be safe, I'd just nix heels altogether. You never know what woman jury members might think.

^ Not that there's anything wrong with flats, but to me heels say "I made an effort." (Obviously one would not want the kind worn by 'the oldest profession,' particularly if it is any way related to why one is in court in the first place :innocent: In that particular case, I would recommend flats :unsure:)

To be safe, I'd just nix heels altogether.

In that case, I would love to see Carine Roitfeld summoned to court. Not for the delicious sight of Carine in sensible shoes, nooo....:innocent: Purely for the obligatory Sartorialist snapshot, of course.

I am stumped for advice, I have no idea what appropriate courtroom attire would be. But no matter, it's not like I'll ever have to find out.:angel:

^ Reminds me of being in Amarillo when Oprah's people were calling around for show venues ... in Texas, you can get hauled into court for saying you're not gonna eat beef anymore :lol:

So be it. Then it shall only be my earth-friendly, animal-loving, pacifist ways that land me on the wrong side of the law. For martyr that I am, I have no other smears on my personal history.

COUGH! COUGH!

But no matter, it's not like I'll ever have to find out.:angel:

Never say never my friend :P The date for my appearence has been postponed again (hoorah) so I still have some time to get it right. I do know that I shant be wearing flat shoes though,I walk like Shrek in flat shoes,just simple black court shoes for me I think

well I earn my living by sitting in court, and duh you sure see a lot in the fashion department and not only in that department. I would recommend you something like casual bussiness. do not overdo it, if a formal suit does not correspond with your lifestyle you can easily look like trying too hard. all you need is to appear like a reasonable, responsible person who shows a little bit of respect to the court. it is a rather unpleasant occassion so wear something you feel comfortable and secure in. though I would stay away from jeans, hoodies, leather jackets and sneakers if your over twenty and heels should not be higher than 7cm.:flower:

^ If it were me, I would wear my 85 mm Glaciers to court without hesitation (this is Michelle Obama's inauguration shoe, but I have it in black) ... I wear those for interviewing (and otherwise, since I have them), and they are low for me. But I certainly wouldn't recommend wearing heels you don't know how to walk in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->