What to wear to prom or homecoming

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by pointup, Jan 24, 2004.

1. pointup

pointup living in the sprawl

I, as a highschool student, want to experience my adolescence so I'm planning on attending prom. Even though prom is way away I was just pondering it and think I want to make a dress.... my mom made all her dresses and they were gorgeous!

I want to make a dress like the one Ally is wearing in the pic below ...but can't find a pattern similar to it...do you know any dresses that aren't real pricey that are pretty?

ahahah I feel so absolutely psycho posting this topic :wacko: haha

2. lovespell

lovespell New Member

I'm going through the same thing right now. :flower:

My mother will be making my dress too. Check out Vogue Patterns. They have some awesome patterns. That's where my dress pattern is from.

My dress:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/vogue...&M=&UK=20843341

I'm choosing B, and it will be done in white satin.

What's your budget for a dress? What's your style? What kind of look are you going for?

I love dress shopping, so I would be more then willing to help you out. I'm very excited for prom. :woot:

3. ykidkwis

ykidkwis New Member

you coulod always try vintage...so many girls wear sparky gowns with similar silhouettes that all look the same...its nice to see something different.

4. freshstyle

freshstyle New Member

i really dont know ur style, but i graduated two years ago...the dresses seem to not be as dressy any more like the typical prom dresses i think this dress could look amazing with the right shoes and jewlery.

5. lovespell

lovespell New Member

I don't really like the black dress. Sorry fresh style. :ninja:

I have more questions, pointup. :p What's your skin/hair/eye coloring? What kind of body shape do you have? What's your favorite part of your body, that you might want to show off in a prom dress? Colors you love? Colors you want to avoid?

Do you want a long dress, or maybe something short for a fresh new look?

Hehe. I love helping people dress shop. Can you tell? :innocent:

6. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

When I went to prom (10 years ago, but you can go ahead and listen, because it wasn't typical Early 1990s Fashion) I bought one of those Chinese brocade Cheoung-Sam tops (red) and wore it with a black, 10-gore flared miniskirt and a pair of black velvet Mary-Janes. The top cost be $22 and the skirt I already had around, and the shoes were I think around $15 (from the same import store where I bought the top).

My hair was really, really long then, so I parted it down the centre all the way, made two braids of it, and wrapped them around my head Heidi-style. My hair stayed up and out of the way through a LOT of dancing.

Good on ya for making your dress, though. I love to sew and make most of my clothes these days. While I can do my own drafting, I definitely appreciate the convenience of commercial patterns, even if I end up changing them around some. I have a great fondness for McCall's and Butterick's teens and Misses lines. The sizing is very accurate and the drafting is top quality. I have never had the slightest bit of trouble putting together any of their products (as opposed to Simplicity, where I find that the proportioning is dreadful and everything comes out about 2.5 sizes bigger than they state!) If you can catch a sale on Vogues, their vintage line has an evening dress that is a little like that one you like. All of the major pattern companies have evening-wear. I've had awesome luck with Butterick's. I've used them for several bridal-parties worth of bride's maids.

7. purplelucrezia

purplelucrezia New Member

I vote for vintage as well. I wore a yellow 1950s dress for mine last year; I loved it! :p

8. chanel_girl

chanel_girl Melody Nelson

May I suggest Prada?

9. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

The Prada outfit is interesting, but probably not dressy enough. Proms are typically fairly formal events, and most of the girls wear some kind of evening wear. I used to have a skirt a lot like that one when I was in high-school, though mine was vintage--1950s. When the fabric was spread out, it was a bunch of Native-American dancers with animal masks. I loved that skirt to bits and wish I still had it! One of the few cool pieces I didn't keep forever.

10. purplelucrezia

I don't know if this is your style, but a dress like this might be lovely for prom... :heart:

11. lovespell

lovespell New Member

Oh that dress is stunning. Chanel?

12. purplelucrezia

Yup. Here's another that would be wonderful... :flower:

13. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Wow, you might be multiply jumped-on in either of those...

14. purplelucrezia

Something like this would be sweet as well...

15. purplelucrezia

:lol:

16. purplelucrezia

Of course, it all depends on your sense of fashion...

17. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

If you were like drop dead gorgeous that might just cause testosterone overkill...however in most cases I think it would be ill advised...

18. purplelucrezia

Here's another funny one... :p

19. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous Active Member

My prom is this year, too. If I could afford that first chanel, or even the 2nd, I'd be all over that like yesterday! haha That betsy one is too cute!

But, my ebst friend and I are anti-anything-to-do-w/-school..

sooooo, if we go, we're not wearing prom dresses... B) :innocent:

20. purplelucrezia

Actually, I just posting for ideas...If you liked the dress enough though, you could probably find a dressmaker would could reproduce it for you. The Betsy Johnson one, for example, doesn't look too hard to make. :flower: