What to wear to prom or homecoming

Oh I could cry for all the beautiful dresses! They are all so lovely. :cry:

Hmmm, I wonder...maybe if I never bought another item again, I could save up for an amazing designer dress for my senior year. Maybe not such a well known designer...

Is it possible to buy a beautiful evening gown for under say, $700? :ninja: I mean, how much money are we talking here?

I have seen many vintage dresses that are quite similar to the ones posted. They run at about $17...Another option is to find a dressmaker who could copy a particular style for you... :flower:

ahh, thanks guys for all the suggestions! i like the pink chanel and the first dress on this page!!! they're amazing...yes i was thinking of vintage but we don't have a vintage shop here...but perhaps this merits a trip to minneapolis!

also, i have dark brown long hair, pretty tan skin (i'm part native american)..which will be quite tan by that time seeing as though i'm going to costa rica a month before hand!! also i'm only 5'3'' and i'm quite petite- i have a long torso and short legs and i hate my arms because they are short :doh: and i'm a size 2 juniors ...i have no hips... but hmmmm i like my collar bones haha

i wish i could afford that pink chanel..wonder if i could find a similar dress!

I would seriously advocate checking around with local dressmakers. Since you are quite petite, you may have a hard time finding a ready-to-wear evening dress.

I had to get a formal dress when I was 14, and much smaller (probably about a size 0--I mostly wore girls' size 12) and it was hell on wheels to find something small enough. The dress I ended up with was ***-ugly. I may post a picture someday for you all to laugh at! :P It was horrible. Anyway, if I knew what I do now, I'd have made myself a dress or had something made.

Custom sewing is going to be less than designer wear almost every time though it is not, strictly speaking, cheap. You may find something appropriate in the junior/miss shops in Minneapolis--I have heard the shopping is good. If you don't see anything that great, though, you might call around to a few dressmakers and at least get quotes. If it sounds too horrifying, troll the vintage shops. Because you are small of build, you should have good luck with vintage.

Originally posted by lovespell@Jan 25th, 2004 - 5:18 pm
Oh I could cry for all the beautiful dresses! They are all so lovely. :cry:

Hmmm, I wonder...maybe if I never bought another item again, I could save up for an amazing designer dress for my senior year. Maybe not such a well known designer...

Is it possible to buy a beautiful evening gown for under say, $700? :ninja: I mean, how much money are we talking here?
Under 700 hmmm......go for Diane Von Furstenburg or vintage or whatever you like :flower: If you would want to buy prada or chanel ysl etc. it would most likely be 2000 up

You live in Minnesota! Me too! Yeah, there are really no vintage shops around here. I live in Embarrass, and often travel the FIVE HOURS to shop at the Mall of America. Though I still have not gotten through the whole thing. I will get through a couple stores and my money is all gone! Lol. I need to learn to budget.

Check out www.rampage.com. They have some nice dresses for under $100. My friend is petite like you, though with a 34C breast size. When it comes to dresses, avoid lots of fabric. It will just drown you.

I have a long torso, and because of it I really like my back. If that is the same case with you, I think this dress would look lovely. The rhinestones in the back give it swuch a lovely touch to basic black.

http://www.rampage.com/proddetail.cfm?CURP...FTOKEN=18197063

This one is strapless, and would draw attention to your collorbones. Plus the ribbon would acceute your waist and give you more of a shape. I love the femine touch of the pink flower.

http://www.rampage.com/proddetail.cfm?CURP...FTOKEN=18197063

I love this one from Bebe. The length of the skirt would elongate your legs, and I bet all the other girls will be wearing long dresses. This one is my favorite, I think.

http://www.bebe.com/Main/browse_detail.jsp...0&viewmode=page

vintage in mpls.....

there are a few shops in uptown and i know of one on selby and snelling called lula

nora

that's so pretty.....and i also loved the black chanel. but i'd definately wear a slip with that last one.

nornor

So many beautiful dresses! From what I can remember from buying my prom dresses, to find the very BEST dress try on at least 40 or 50 dresses, then go back and buy the first one you tried on. :lol:

Good luck with your search!! :flower:

i love the last one...it reminds me of the valentino christina applegate wore...which is like my dream dress!!!!

..but i am not going to spend very much on my prom dress...so i'm SOL i suppose to put it very sophisticated-like :rolleyes: haha

Originally posted by nora@Jan 25th, 2004 - 10:29 pm
vintage in mpls.....

there are a few shops in uptown and i know of one on selby and snelling called lula

nora
you know about uptown!!!

Hey I'm from MN too! But luckily i live 15 min from the Mall of America... hehehe.... Anyways I just got a dress for my winter formal and its hot green and I bought it wayyyy on sale at Cache for $28 from $258 so just looking out for the right bargains is helpful. :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->