Whitney Port To Design Own Fashion Line: Eve & A

baddabling

Reaction score
PORT OF CALL: "The Hills" star Whitney Port is the third cast member (after Lauren Conrad and Heidi Montag) to jump into the fashion fray: She's launching a young contemporary line called Eve & A for fall, which will make its debut in the Movement showroom on Friday at the Los Angeles market. Port may not have Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising training like her co-star, Conrad, but she did grow up in the business. Her father, Jeff Port, owns the apparel company Swarm (the nickname of the seven-person Port family), which manufactures the young men's line Shades of Gray. The company also is backing Whitney's line, a 17-piece collection of convertible dresses, tops and jackets that will wholesale for $40 to $250. Along with co-creative director Adrienne Baravetto, Port designs cocktail and partywear, much of which should be appropriate to don at her next gig as an intern at the public relations firm People's Revolution. So far, owner Kelly Cutrone appears to be putting them to work. Port was spotted at Smashbox Studios handling front of house for runway shows for Peoples Revolution clients Whitley Kros, Orthodox and Julia Clancey.

source: WWD

Hooray for the Inevitable! ‘Hills’ Star Whitney Port Launches Clothing Line

Let's recap the recent career highlights of the Hills stars in actual reality, shall we? Lauren Conrad unveiled her new collection at L.A. Fashion Week on Tuesday. Heidi Montag, fast on L.C.'s heels, is launching her own clothing line soon. And who could forget the fake duet she recorded "with" Britney Spears? Even Montag's boyfriendorsomething Spencer Pratt is writing an advice column for Radar. Who's not on the boat yet? The cutestest, bestest — and our most favoritest — cast member Whitney Port. Well, now she's got her own clothing line, and it sounds like it's actually going to be — dare we say it? — classy. It's called Eve & A, according to WWD, and its fall line of "cocktail and partywear" debuts today in an L.A. showroom.
Port doesn't have a degree like Conrad from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (judging by the reviews and tepid applause Conrad got at her show, it doesn't help much anyway), but Port has designer genes (zing!). Her dad Jeff owns the company Swarm, which makes a young-men's line called Shades of Gray. (Swarm — also the nickname of Whitney's seven-member family — is backing Eve & A.) Her line boasts seventeen pieces, including convertible dresses, tops, and jackets that wholesale for $40 to $250 (a bit more than double that for retail), which means, we hope, they'll be pretty decent quality.

Port and Conrad are still interning for public-relations firm People's Revolution. Port even worked the front of the house at L.A. Fashion Week for them. Hey — she and Conrad have to keep their "friendship" and TV show going somehow.

source: nymag

Whitney graduated from USC which is a respected school

I think Whitney is the most respectable person on that horrid show. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

God...I'm so sick of trendy people making fashion lines....what qualifies them to design?:angry: They haven't gone to school for fashion design...they don't know how to sew, drape, pattern make...the only experience they have is shopping with a personal stylist and they think that's enough.:innocent:

All we need is another uninspired line of clothing...just clothes, not fashion.:doh:

Fashion needs to fight back for its exclusivity again...I'm really tired of democratized fashion where anyone can buy Karl Lagerfeld stuff and any talentless celebrity can put out collections (collections that I assume they only approved after a hired designer does everything...:innocent:)

Sorry for the rant.:lol:

whitney dresses well, but i'm not sure she's qualified to be a designer?

I'm tired of these celebrity clothing lines.

God...I'm so sick of trendy people making fashion lines....what qualifies them to design?:angry: They haven't gone to school for fashion design...they don't know how to sew, drape, pattern make...the only experience they have is shopping with a personal stylist and they think that's enough.:innocent:

All we need is another uninspired line of clothing...just clothes, not fashion.:doh:

Fashion needs to fight back for its exclusivity again...I'm really tired of democratized fashion where anyone can buy Karl Lagerfeld stuff and any talentless celebrity can put out collections (collections that I assume they only approved after a hired designer does everything...:innocent:)

...I completely agree!

I think this entire Hills franchise is ridiculous, but Whitney actually has a lot more style than any of those girls so perhaps it'll be promising?

Whitney has one of the worst sense of style on the show coming only ahead of Heidi. Her major at USC was gender studies so she has no fashion education.

She was at Project in Vegas the same as Lauren earlier this year. If what she's wearing here at Project is indicative of her line then I'll have to pass.

trendswest.com
zwhitneytx6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with your wonderful rant!

Whitney has one of the worst sense of style on the show coming only ahead of Heidi. Her major at USC was gender studies so she has no fashion education.

She was at Project in Vegas the same as Lauren earlier this year. If what she's wearing here at Project is indicative of her line then I'll have to pass.

trendswest.com
*please do not quote images*

Are we really judging a designer's talent by their personal style...because many greats of today would be immediately dismissed. :lol:

I'll wait to see the clothes before passing judgement. Who knows. Is she really doing the design work? You don't really NEED to go to fashion school and she's been a fashion intern for five years starting with W...so I'll wait and see.

What I find really interesting is that she was a GENDER STUDIES major at USC! A trendy blonde aspiring fashion editor is not what I think of when I picture a gender studies major.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we really judging a designer's talent by their personal style...because many greats of today would be immediately dismissed. :lol:

I think the clothes she's wearing in that pic are from her line she was showing at Project.

Those aren't her own designs in the pic... the top is by Phillip Lim

Hm Whitney appears really intelligent, and she is an ambitious hard worker it will be interesting to see how she translates her ideas onto the catwalk. To be honest what it comes down to allot of the time is just a name that sells clothes, but i think the Olsens The Row is a definite exception, whitney has allot to live up to!

Fashion needs to fight back for its exclusivity again...I'm really tired of democratized fashion where anyone can buy Karl Lagerfeld stuff
Oh dear you're a good one.

who cares if these people make lines! hey if you have the money to do it, why not??

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
westernsoc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->