Why Did Runways Surrounded By Photographers Go Away?

bluestar

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been wondering this for a bit now. If you love watching fashion shows from the 80s and 90s, you will know that many had runways with photographers that would stand/sit around it and take photos of the models from all directions, with fashion show attenders sitting behind them. It seemed that between 1995-97, most runways switched over to the now-traditional format of models walking right in front of attendees.

Why exactly did this change? Was it due to the decline of the glamorous supermodels and rise of the more low-key waif models? Or did designers just want more creative ways to present their clothes on a runway and not be tied to a plain white rectangular runway?

I know this question isn't anything crazy deep but if anyone has insight into this, I'd be curious to know what you know. Honestly, I love how breathtaking and detailed many runway set designs are now (just look at Chanel from the past 15 years!) but sometimes I miss seeing a simple runway with gorgeous models and clothes.

Great Post!

I do not think it had anything to do with the models, but more to do with the refined imagery that a single angle provides especially for media purposes. I think as much as I miss older runway photography, brands were probably not seeing the clothing or runway presentation work from different angles especially when you factor stage lighting. I think this also forced models to stop posing halfway through the runway and instead do it at the end of the runway.

That's just my opinion!

Great Post!

I do not think it had anything to do with the models, but more to do with the refined imagery that a single angle provides especially for media purposes. I think as much as I miss older runway photography, brands were probably not seeing the clothing or runway presentation work from different angles especially when you factor stage lighting. I think this also forced models to stop posing halfway through the runway and instead do it at the end of the runway.

That's just my opinion!

That makes sense! Thanks for the thoughtful reply, GERGIN :flower:

Maybe because frontrowers saw nothing being behind jumping photographers. Who changed that was a genius for sure

Lol that's probably a major reason. The photographers were definitely all over the place in some shows!

I remember vaguely a model (or was it an actress on a red carpet ? ) saying that at some crowdy places, photographers were harassing (dirty talk) to be looked at, for better pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->