WWD Designers Speak out about Americans

belladawn

Reaction score
I was just reading in WWD and Article about how women in the U.S. Dress...A few of the designers mentioned how casual everything has become. Nicole Miller states" The country has gotten too casual. I hate the way people dress even in airports" Carmen Marc Valvo said" I wish people would dress up more as opposed to dressing down" I was just wondering others opinions on this topic. I feel the same, I have been saying it for a while, I hate how everything has become so casual, I love to get dressed up. Even my first instinct is to put on a pair of jeans and dress them up with a cute top, bag and shoes, but that is not what it is all about. It would be nice to go out and see more people really dressed up....

I agree with you, but not everyone care for clothes. Maybe the don't like to dress up, people should just dress the way they want to. That said, I do want people to dress nicer over here where I live :\ It's kind of annyoing seeing people after people dressing extremely badly X| .

I'd be really upset too if I made my living from dressy clothes and a whole country was set on being casual and not wearing my stuff :wink:

I've had a number of people tell me I dressed up too much, was too high maintenance (this from someone with wash n go hair/no makeup), etc. Whenever I get a comment like this, I ask the person if I've ever criticized them for being too casual, low maintenance, or whatnot. When they say no, I say Great! lay off and I never will! :D I'm a big believer in live and let live.

People always tell me I am too high maintenance, I get dressed up too much, and where do I think I am going. Like you said, I don't tell people they are low maintenance. I feel better when I am dresses. When I'm casual I never feel right. It just seems everyone is becoming more and more casual.

We're not high maintainance- it's just that everyone else is NO maintainance!

I'm definitely on the more casual side, but there are different levels of casual. I never wear sweats, sporty sneakers or other obvious sportswear unless I'm actually doing sports.

People wearing strict dresses and tailored suits is becoming a thing of the past, sort of. It's becoming optional rather than obligatory, and that's not necessarily a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Just because everyone wore suits 50 years ago, they didn't necessarily wear good suits...

Suits have become like a uniform for people working in politics, banking and other "public" jobs, and conservative people. It just feels stale. Higher circles also tend to dress down nowadays. I think blazers is the way to go in the future, they are more versatile and still a bit dressy.

I think the future is dressed down, you'll distingush yourself by the quality of materials and craftmanship you are willing and able to pay for... But that's always been the case: suits aren't created equal either.

it never hurts to try various type of materials. to me, some people in states are loving sweats and jeans way too much. pairing jeans with nice blazers is one of my favorites, however it is still a casual look.

mittle said:
it never hurts to try various type of materials. to me, some people in states are loving sweats and jeans way too much. pairing jeans with nice blazers is one of my favorites, however it is still a casual look.

jeans are fine- it's just that there is WAY to much "activewear" attempting to pass as street clothes- sweatpants, baggy t- shirts, track pants, sneakers- these things belong at the gym- or at home- that's IT!

And there are so many people that go out looking like they had planned to stay home. uncombed hair- no makeup- it's really common courtesy to at least try.

stilettogirl84 said:
jeans are fine- it's just that there is WAY to much "activewear" attempting to pass as street clothes- sweatpants, baggy t- shirts, track pants, sneakers- these things belong at the gym- or at home- that's IT!

And there are so many people that go out looking like they had planned to stay home. uncombed hair- no makeup- it's really common courtesy to at least try.

i think that's very well put.
thanks,

Actually. There is nothing wrong with jeans and a t-shirt as long as the jeans are well tailored and the shirt is too. Tailoring makes a HUGE difference, esp in suiting, a well cut suit can really make you say...WOW...

I think we're actually getting more formal, fashion is heading that way I think.

I don't mind casual dressing on the street or in airports.

One of my co-workers is a real fashionista, so we have a constant competition thing going. It's a lot of fun, and we seem to be inspiring the other women in the office to make an effort as well.

I do mind casual dressing in fancy restaurants or at the opera. The Seattle opera is a bit of a joke. While some people do go all out and wear evening gowns, a significant proportion of people show up in jeans. It really does take away from the experience if you're all decked out in your finery and the person beside you is wearing the sort of outfit you'd ordinarily reserve for doing heavy-duty yard work.

its the same prob here in singapore.
people are always sloppy, in flip flops, singlets or tanks. they say its the weather (always hot and humid) but that doesn't mean u can live in slippers almost everywhere!
there is no care taken to dress FOR the occasion. i've seen people wearing jeans and tshirts to a wedding!:ninja:

tinuvielberen: i'm dressy at work and i dont conform to work-suits dress codes. but i;m still appropriately dressed. sometimes i push the boiundaries, and my colleagues make snide comments. but u know wat... after a few days, i notice those colleagues start dressing EXACTLY like me...
oh well...

tinuvielberen said:
I don't mind casual dressing on the street or in airports.

One of my co-workers is a real fashionista, so we have a constant competition thing going. It's a lot of fun, and we seem to be inspiring the other women in the office to make an effort as well.

I do mind casual dressing in fancy restaurants or at the opera. The Seattle opera is a bit of a joke. While some people do go all out and wear evening gowns, a significant proportion of people show up in jeans. It really does take away from the experience if you're all decked out in your finery and the person beside you is wearing the sort of outfit you'd ordinarily reserve for doing heavy-duty yard work.
Alright. Evening gown is a little too out there but if I were a woman Id wear a nice two piece skirt suit or perhaps pant suit. Perhaps a nice cocktail length dress. Myself, never denim, probably a interestingly coordianted suit without a tie and with a scarf.

I read a piece about how a fashion designer (I think Valentino) was appalled with how celebs are dressing down so much-such as the cargo pants that Jennifer Anniston wears. While what he is saying can be true and agreed with, I'd rather be running from the paparazzis in cargo pants than in a miniskirt and heels. If there weren't so many photogs, maybe people would be more willing to dress up. However, with American culture the way that it is, I don't see it happening.

fashionista-ta said:
I've had a number of people tell me I dressed up too much, was too high maintenance (this from someone with wash n go hair/no makeup), etc. Whenever I get a comment like this, I ask the person if I've ever criticized them for being too casual, low maintenance, or whatnot. When they say no, I say Great! lay off and I never will! :D I'm a big believer in live and let live.
:lol: I love that. :flower:

It's sad that the day has come when people who actually take pride in their appearances are looked down upon. It used to be the exact opposite! Laziness has simply taken over America in virtually every facet of life. People are told in various ways that it's okay to be slovenly, then feel threatened and awkward if someone doesn't follow their rolled-out-of-bed appearance. I've especially seen this in girls...they'll make no real effort because it's "cute" and no one else is dressing up either. Then they'll see a nice-looking girl and be like, "What a b*tch. She thinks she looks so good." Yeah, she does. And you look like crap. Sucks for you. Take a few minutes and comb your hair and put on real clothes. America is a country of such low self-esteem, and looking good = feeling good (I know there are exceptions; you know what I mean). So it makes no sense to me that people wouldn't want to at least attempt to look their best so they can feel their best and go out and be the best. WAKE UP! :shock: ^_^

AlexN said:
:lol: I love that. :flower:

It's sad that the day has come when people who actually take pride in their appearances are looked down upon. It used to be the exact opposite! Laziness has simply taken over America in virtually every facet of life. People are told in various ways that it's okay to be slovenly, then feel threatened and awkward if someone doesn't follow their rolled-out-of-bed appearance. I've especially seen this in girls...they'll make no real effort because it's "cute" and no one else is dressing up either. Then they'll see a nice-looking girl and be like, "What a b*tch. She thinks she looks so good." Yeah, she does. And you look like crap. Sucks for you. Take a few minutes and comb your hair and put on real clothes. America is a country of such low self-esteem, and looking good = feeling good (I know there are exceptions; you know what I mean). So it makes no sense to me that people wouldn't want to at least attempt to look their best so they can feel their best and go out and be the best. WAKE UP! :shock: ^_^

yes, at school I believe I have alienated a few people because of the way I dress, and it's not even that outstanding but sometimes just throwing on a coat that appears more tailored and better quality seems to give off the idea that I'm a snob trying to impose my material superiority or some bullsh*t like that.

My school even started a facebook group called "anybody who dresses up for class is an idiot"

It's almost like a reverse discrimination, except this time if you're not wearing sweatpants and a university sweatshirt or some nasty jeans/new balances then you are the ostracized minority.

Diorling said:
Actually. There is nothing wrong with jeans and a t-shirt as long as the jeans are well tailored and the shirt is too. Tailoring makes a HUGE difference

I completely agree Almost anything can look good if it FITS properly!

Example below

Good Jeans & Tee___________________ Bad jeans & tee

Please note, on no website could I find an image of a woman actually wearing a baggy t-shirt. Aparrently, advertising people know that a baggy t-shirt makes a woman( or man) look like crap.

Unfortunately, women across america have failed to learn this.

Good jeans & tee - Gap

Bad Jeans- JC Penny, & tee- Cabelas

I'm so sick of the juicy couture velour look

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miumeow
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->