What to wear to someone else's wedding

Found something! I was going for a navy sheath, but after speaking to the bride, the reception sounds a bit more formal than I could jazz up a simple sheath. Luckily, I found a very nice knockoff of this dress:

images

Which has sleeves, so it's church appropriate, and it seems a bit more fancy for the reception. I have a black patent clutch and black patent pumps that I planned on pairing it with. What do you all think?

ATM1985, remember to post a source for every image you post here. it is part of our Community Rules. please list the source or your posts will be deleted.

what does the knockoff look like?

Credit: myfashioncollection.com

And it looks exactly like it. Navy lace, 3/4 sleeves, sheath shape, bateau neckline, light liner.

Okay, I have another question - hats. I know that in other countries, hats are typically worn to the service for weddings. You'll also see that in parts of the U.S., depending on the region/church.

I found a hat that perfectly complements the lace dress. I love it. Would it be acceptable to wear (only to church)? Or would it look like I'm trying to be trendy/trying too hard/too formal/taking attention from the bride? I know that most will not be wearing a hat, I don't think. BUT - it's a great navy blue, small hat/fascinator type thing. It doesn't stick straight up, it's not huge and I don't think it's too much when I put it on with the dress.

I'm just worried what sort of impression I'd give off. What do you all thing - yea or nay on the hat for the service.

It's shaped similarly to this (same size/angle), although the brim is sheer, and it's much more minimal in the decorations, which are small swirls/flowers, with just a few small, flat feathers nestled in it - they don't stick up.

278.jpg

Credit: hatsnstuff.co.uk

Humm... is the wedding in the states? Or is it elsewhere? Because if it's in the US I think it can depend on the venue and what part of the country you are in. Like if it's the east coast or the south then I think a hat could totally work. But in the end, I think you should still wear it if it makes you feel pretty. It's good to standout!

Also, I definitely think once again acceptable to wear hats to weddings because Princess Kate has been sporting them. She's certainly helped revive the look but in a good way I think! I really do hope it's something that become's more popular, especially in the states. It's a wedding staple that I think the British do well... I loved seeing what everyone else was wearing at my cousins wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would not wear a hat to a wedding in the north - people would think you are an attention getter.

i think you should focus your attention to other accessories like jewelry and shoes or hair accessories. :flower:

In the states - New York (but not NYC). No clue what type of guests will be attending but the invitation states "formal." I'm guessing there will be few with hats, unless there's a southern contingent, although most weddings I've attended are in the midwest, and people seem to think clean jeans is wedding formal attire here, ha. Catholic afternoon service.

I'm okay if I'm the only one wearing it, but I don't want to look like I'm trying to steal attention from the bride. I'm definitely seeing more formal hats in stores, I think because of the Kate effect, so I'm waffling on this.

The hat seems fine to me. Since navy is such a low-key color, it seems to me like it would be hard to take it the wrong way. Do you still have to cover your head at the Vatican? Maybe you're just a very strict Catholic :wink:

AlTm7acCAAQIChf.jpg

my pic.

Bought this vintage 1950s dress for a wedding in the summer. Hopefully my hair will be lighter and I'll have a bit of natural colour in me! What sort of shoes do you recommend? and jewellery! :flower:

wow, first of all, i LOVE the shape of that dress. are the images vintage postcards of europe?

what a great find! i think you should go with a great hair accessory in lieu of jewelry. or maybe some cool rings? a necklace would distract from the awesomeness of that dress.

thank you!! :smile: it's little postcards of just one city I think - can't figure out which one though!

Yes I definitely thought about rings, I'll need to see what my hair is like at the time, but i'll be sure to keep you updated :smile:

Oh I love that dress, great find ^_^

Personally I would love to wear it with some chunky gold pumps. Like these oldies but goodies from Dries van Noten.
scaled.php

[vogue.co.uk]

But in general I think any pair of pumps would look great with the dress, I think basically every colour goes it just depends on the look you are going for.

Thanks :smile: I was thinking similar shoes too! Hopefully there'll be some nice ones out around the time of the wedding!

my sister just told me she is going to get married in 2 month (instead of next year). she wont marry at church, only registry office (is that world correct?).
i want a lovely dress, but i am not sure about the weather in april..

black to a wedding?

a mate of my boyfriend is going to marry next month. i think in May the weather will be good. so i looked for a summer-ish wedding dress. i ordered 5 dresses from asos. but there are only two that i like.

my favorite is this one:

image4xl.jpg
(asos.com code: 171796 )

my boyfriend says it´s too sexy and too black for a wedding. i don´t think that i am a sexy person and i think that black is okay for a wedding these days.
maybe it wasn´t back when my grandma married but nowadays it´s okay.

the other dress i liked was this one:

image4xl.jpg
(asos.com code: 186744 )

this dress is nice and lovely, but a summer dress, not a dress to wear to someone else´s wedding.

my boyfriends favorite is this one:

image1xl.jpg
(asos.com code: ZDRWO166135:cool:

because "it doesnt steals the brides show".

what do you think about the black dress?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think your boyfriend is rght about about the black dress with the "rollercoaster hemline" (thats what topshop calls it.

the blue one is the better one of all three IMO.

I vote for #2, the floral. You can dress it up with the shoes. You could get some really pretty purple shoes. The last one is too matronly IMO. You don't have to look like the mother of the bride :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->