Help my boyfriend?

Good suggestions thus far... especially for one that doesn't trust their own instinct :wink:

Another simple rule... no pleated bottoms :D

lol I like the buy whole mannequin idea, never thought of that before!

edit: just go around department stores, find 5 mannquins who look like they got a respectable outfit on, buy em all and you'll have new clothes to wear each day of the week :D

I find that my bf is like that too..when he knows what piece of clothing hes going to buy, he just goes and buys it without trying it one etc.

Well I guess my bf just sticks to basic stuff - jeans and plain t shirts. I dont think he would go for anything loud or patterned...cant really go wrong there.:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah! why do straight men hate shopping?! :angry: had the same problems with ex boyfriends. :angry: the only time he goes to a clothier is to be custom-fitted for suits and tux. such a bore :yuk: . damn investment banker!

shoexgal-- your guy looks more a J Crew-Banana Republic dude and also try Ralph Lauren boutiques --great manly outfits on Madison Ave The main store that is if you're in NYC. so hit these stores and buy the clothes on the mannequin B) great idea whoever mentioned the mannequin thing! :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't look that bad.... just casual...

put him in a good fitting sweater, a pair of pants (non jeans) and some decent brown/black shoes...

I'd also suggest Express for men.. .but steer clear of the overembellished *metrosexual* things...

Oh.. and pick up some dark wash jeans from Bananda.

My husband is greatly amused that his "buy the whole mannequin" strategy has proved so popular. :lol::lol::lol:

How ironic that HIS ideas gain a following on tFS :P

his shirt is too baggy. he needs a more fitted t-shirt so that he doesn't look like he's floating in his clothes. He could layer tops- saw this on a mannequin the other day and it looked fab. Also saw it done on What Not To Wear :smile:P) and it's so flattering.
I'd personally change the hairstyle too.

yeah! why do straight men hate shopping?! :angry: had the same problems with ex boyfriends. :angry: the only time he goes to a clothier is to be custom-fitted for suits and tux. such a bore :yuk: . damn investment banker!

I think that's more of a question of why do investment bankers hate shopping.

liquid fire said:
I'm very straight and I love shopping almost as much as I love women! :D

I totally agree. I myself am straight, but apparantley if you strive to dress well, you're automaticly labeled as "gay". I find it ridiculous, especially in todays modern society. If a man dresses in just a t-shirt and jeans, women often think they are sloppy and in need of help. Then when a man finaly dresses well they assume he is gay. Men are basicly stuck between this comformative standard set by women and men. Oh the social dilemas, lol!

I'm straight and I actually prefer shopping to women... Clothes are softer, more willing to do what YOU want, easier on the AMEX, more interesting, don't talk as much and don't mind if you burn them with your cigarette.

As for the guy: First, I would change the hair style, would avoid bulky sweaters, and would stay with basic browns and blacks, nothing too flashy. Perhaps, a cashmere sweater or turtleneck, (99 bucks at J. Crew). Some nice trousers. Try to avoid the striped button down + baggy jeans + kenneth Cole shoes look, Asians (in the states) seem to be fans of this look. its not a nice look.

:ninja:

Invasion of the straight men as soon as the word is mentioned...

Wow even here people right away assume you have to be "gay" to appriciate the art of fashion, very sad actually.

*UPDATE* my boyfriend now has a Faux-hawk..much better..in this his hair looks too military, but he lost that and got a real haircut, more grown out

PrinceOfCats said:

Maybe you need to explain to him that clothes *are* an investment :lol:

PrinceOfCats said:

because it takes away from their 100 hour workweek...

sleazie ninja said:
I'm straight and I actually prefer shopping to women... Clothes are softer, more willing to do what YOU want, easier on the AMEX, more interesting, don't talk as much and don't mind if you burn them with your cigarette.

As for the guy: First, I would change the hair style, would avoid bulky sweaters, and would stay with basic browns and blacks, nothing too flashy. Perhaps, a cashmere sweater or turtleneck, (99 bucks at J. Crew). Some nice trousers. Try to avoid the striped button down + baggy jeans + kenneth Cole shoes look, Asians (in the states) seem to be fans of this look. its not a nice look.

:ninja:

haha good explanation on why clothes are better than women...i am going to have to agree.

Also agree with what you said about her boyfriend...too many asians here are doing that A/X look, it's just so tired...gotta buck the trend and stand out in a sea of styleless men, in this case it's not that hard. Go well subtle, understated stuff with good cuts and fabrics...J Crew cashmere sweaters are a good investment like ninja said, APC raw denim jeans or a sleek pair of trousers, clean looking sneakers or dress shoes (I'd tell you to avoid Kenneth Cole and the like but I'm not very familiar with what reasonably priced alternatives in that range there are...so I'll just say this: splurge on a good pair of leather shoes, i'd spend the most money on that over any other part of the outfit).

Basically a summary is this: Avoid any logo-ed stuff, no stripey shirts, focus on muted colors but with solid cuts and fabrics to avoid looking completely invisible. Keep it sleek, simple and stylish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->