Yohji Yamamoto S/S 05 Paris

cerfas said:
Painting teacher once made us write an essay about our least favorite piece of art, one we d, because he thought that was just as important as the one we loved.

Very good, true, if one can easily point out what they love and what they dislike, one can get a pretty good image of what ones tastes are.

Arturo21 said:
These dresses are just ..gorgeous..and the shirt. I love Yohji. Funny, not long ago I didn't care at all for Yohji, and sometimes found it even horrendous. Now I just love him.
Same here, although I'd trade the word "horrendous" in for something less severe.

helena said:
incidentally though this would interest some of you, I was in a shop at the weekend whih stocks yohji and the guy was saying that his buyer had been at the show in Paris last week. Apart from the fact that they seemed not to like the collection (which i do not undersatnd beause it is lovely) they have decided to drop it (and take Junya W) next spring because the whole collection is so expensive. The dresses are going to be retailing at £12,000 he said (£8-9k wholesale). He doesn't think any of his customers will buy at that price. Is that not just mental!! The Yohji people explained it on the basis that the time spend by skilled craftspeople to undertake the detailed needlework was such that i commands that level of price tag. That may well be true but if people don't buy it at that price its a wasted excerise....
speaking to the buyer for the yohji boutique here in soho...she wasn't thrilled with the yohji collection for spring either ...but i think that these people are under-estimating the customer...

for example...the yohji shop is now carrying Y's for women...but rather than buying the real statement pieces which were the blk and wht newsprint, they bought very basic blk jackets and khaki skirts and white shirts...that might be part of why it isn't selling...i still have plenty of white shirts and khaki skirts and black jackets...i don't need any...i might have purchased some newsprint though...

oh well...i think that there is such a thing as playing it too safe.. :innocent:

cerfas...like those pics..can't believe you think the zipper is ugly...:lol:...

i love the hard edge that it gives the soft folds...it's that little push that i love about yohji...the juxtaposition of hard and soft...man and woman... :wink: :kiss:

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:
but i think that these people are under-estimating the customer...

for example...the yohji shop is now carrying Y's for women...but rather than buying the real statement pieces which were the blk and wht newsprint, they bought very basic blk jackets and khaki skirts and white shirts...that might be part of why it isn't selling...i still have plenty of white shirts and khaki skirts and black jackets...i don't need any...i might have purchased some newsprint though...

/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree softie. The Paris Y's store actually looks kind of sad in a way - it's a beautiful space in a beautiful street but it's full of (a) Y-3 (yuk) and (b) rows and rows and navy gaberdine and white shirts. I know some of that is nice, but it doesn't seem to have the vitality that the clothes on the catwalk do, and it's a shame. I was looking again last night at the mainline menswear for summer and it's really lovely, kind of romantic wanderer feel about it. I do find it difficult to buy though (and not just because it hurts the wallet!)

AlexN said:
Same here, although I'd trade the word "horrendous" in for something less severe.

Yes, that was severe. And, in general, I'd trade that it..but I remember these awful, awful..horrendous :D..women's dresses with a detailed flower pattern. I can't remember which season..but I just gagged at them.

Last season, I thought it was good actually when worn in moderation.

Yohji made them look camp on purpose, like the window curtains at a cheap motel.

You have to love him.

:lol:

We're talking about these, right? :lol:

00050f.jpg
00010f.jpg

I don't find these nearly as horrendous as I did then, though. I still find this awfully tacky...it's just not me..but it's Yohji so my mind is more open to it. :P

I think they're beautiful, not in the least tacky (?). They're difficult to wear of course, but I think we need a bit of a challenge sometimes no? I agree with raijin, you gotta love him....

the woman at the yohji store explained to me that those prints are from old vintage origami papers that yohji found...:flower:...

also not my favoourite...(although i think tacky is the wrong word)...
but i prefer solid colours to prints most of the time though...^_^

I don't think they're that bad. I'm indifferent toward them.

Softgrey, I agree that the way he used zippers is balanced and beautiful. I just meant a zipper alone isn't a very attractive object to me. :>

cerfas said:
Softgrey, I agree that the way he used zippers is balanced and beautiful. I just meant a zipper alone isn't a very attractive object to me. :>
interesting cerfas...i like them in theory...but not so much in practice i think... ^_^ :flower:

saw a beautiful lace piece from the yohji spring collection at the store...about the only thing from the main collection that i think would work on me...

yohji just works so much better when you are at least 5'6"...imo...

i just get swallowed by the folds of fabric in so many of his designs... :(
i have to admire them from afar very often...

helena said:
incidentally though this would interest some of you, I was in a shop at the weekend whih stocks yohji and the guy was saying that his buyer had been at the show in Paris last week. Apart from the fact that they seemed not to like the collection (which i do not undersatnd beause it is lovely) they have decided to drop it (and take Junya W) next spring because the whole collection is so expensive.

Well, I have heard that half Comme's people wear Junya SS05 now:-D

I think that it always like this with the most expensive pieces. They are rather carried by the Yamamoto boutiques, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
since most of the images don't show up in here anymore, and this is also one of my fav YY seasons, here's the full set of images :blush:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

catwalking

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member