You know a trend is out when...

The ULTIMATE sign for me that it's over is when people start doing it who shouldn't be.

When it's done well, individually, interestingly, it's worth getting in on. When people do it even though they look ridiculous doing it, it's time to move on. It's a sort of "death by association" principle.

The ULTIMATE sign for me that it's over is when people start doing it who shouldn't be.

When it's done well, individually, interestingly, it's worth getting in on. When people do it even though they look ridiculous doing it, it's time to move on. It's a sort of "death by association" principle.

Haha, totally agree with that one :D

Okay, first to all those who say "when your mother is into it..." I laugh hysterically and applaud you all. It's like rock and roll, for it to be good and enduring, your parents have to HATE IT. Unless of course, you have abnormally cool on point parents. I've known very few of them.

Ironically, I think there is a song, that best sums up when you know a trend is over. Is anyone here familiar with the Tim Curry classic "Paradise Garage?" It's named after a former famous discotech in NYC which used to be the paragon of underground.....check these lyrics...

"I went down to Paradise Garage
And took my place in line
The cashier said
"Are you alright?"
I said "I'm feelin' fine"
I'm a stranger to Nirvana,
I don't box outside my weight
But when I stepped out of the taxi
I did not anticipate this feelin'
(Oh excuse me, sir...
Oh, no, no, after you...)

Baby's got a dream and she can boogie
Daddy's got a groove that's coming clean
Jemie's got a vision of a permanent position
Me, I'm oiling up my dance machine
And it goes like this
And it goes like this

Well, I'm from Plainsbro, New Jersery,
And I didn't bring a date
I guess I wasn't really sure
If you'd be boogeyin' this late
I can't think were I put my wallet
Naive suburban fool
You wouldn't think that I'd spent hours outside
French polishing my cool...
And feelin' so strange
(I said after you...
I'm a gentleman...
Well, by implication)

Daddy's got a groove that's comin' clean
Jemie's got a vision of a permanent position,
Me, I'm oiling up my dance maching
And it goes like this
And it goes like this
And it goes like this
And it goes like this
And it goes like this

Gotta boogie!

Daddy's got a groove that's comin' clean
Jemie's got a vision, of a permanent position
Me, I'm oiling up my dance machine
And it goes like this
And it goes like this
And it goes like this

Well, I really only stepped inside to vary my routine
You see, I read about this discotheque
In New York Magazine
(Hey Baby,
What's your sign?
And haven't we met before?)
I really must suggest
That we've achieved a rare rapport
Hit the ceiling

(Where are you?
Come on,
Come on
You're usually so punctual)

Gotta boogie

(Uh, no, I had a little trouble at the door,
But, anyway,,,,twenty bucks took care of it...
Do you come here a lot?)

Gotta boogie"

I think the point of the song sums it up, when it goes from fashion magazines to every magazine, or when you see your neighbors and your teachers and your janitors for Pete's sake doing it, when EVERYONE is not normally plugged into the world of fashion, begins to rock it, it's over. Like everything else, when something underground becomes the mainstream, it's no longer underground. Old hippies who lived in the Haight Ashbury prior to 1967 will tell you, once the news got hold of what was happening here, and Monterey gave our scene a face, it was already over. Williamsburg Brooklyn, as I know firsthand was a scene that had some stirrings around 1997-2002, then it was over, as trust fund babies from all over the country moved in, to live a life of Ray Ban Wayfarers and doing not much of anything. Once something is talked about and seen to death, it's over.

So, the high shoulders, the over the knee boots, the looking like you want to whip someone into oblivion, if you see your peers doing it en masse, it's time to move along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, first to all those who say "when your mother is into it..." I laugh hysterically and applaud you all. It's like rock and roll, for it to be good and enduring, your parents have to HATE IT.

sorry to disappoint but rock n roll was around before you were born and i'm pretty sure your parents were aware of it when it was the "real" thing. B)

Not much to add I'm afraid--other than I do hate it when I've been looking for something forever, the stores finally sell it and then it's trendy! Thanks for the very funny posts!

yeah i remember i looked ages and ages for sequin dresses and leather gloves earlier this year

now i can't escape them. it is so over :lol:

yeah i remember i looked ages and ages for sequin dresses and leather gloves earlier this year

now i can't escape them. it is so over :lol:

OMG, exactly. It's like you search something during months and when you're personnally over it, it's everywhere. I hate that.

sorry to disappoint but rock n roll was around before you were born and i'm pretty sure your parents were aware of it when it was the "real" thing. B)

Ummm....sorry to disappoint you, but I think I know what my parents listen to and don't listen to, seeing as how they're MY parents. Yes, obviously rock and roll has been around since prior to my birth. Despite this, my parents end at about The Beatles, and don't dig the heavy. Every generation since, has bands their parents hate. My don't exactly appreciate Guns and Roses if you know what I mean....

I got what you meant ossie and totally agree with the sequin thing. I am sick of being partially blinded in every shop from the sea of sequins! I also agree with the said that trends are out when people are wearing the style who normally wouldn't! like years ago when gypsy skirts were in and the chavs adapted it. it was just wrong.

when those things available in the cheap-knock off stores and wannabees wearing it because its "trendy"

Ummm....sorry to disappoint you, but I think I know what my parents listen to and don't listen to, seeing as how they're MY parents. Yes, obviously rock and roll has been around since prior to my birth. Despite this, my parents end at about The Beatles, and don't dig the heavy. Every generation since, has bands their parents hate. My don't exactly appreciate Guns and Roses if you know what I mean....

Were so off topic here but Guns and Roses isnt generally considered rock n roll...the only reason I mention this is because that was the phrase you originally used. Rock n roll consists of the beatles, chuck berry, little richard, elvis, etc. Guns and roses is heavy rock, verging on metal. Anyway, sorry that I'm being so anal about this. Rock n roll is my specialty, ya see :blush:

Back to the original question...
when my mom starts to accept a trend. For example, I bought patterened tights ages ago and my mom insisted that I look ridiculous. Now forever 21 sells them and she wants some for herself. -_-

hmm nice thread. We only have two types of answers here, i.e the fashion forward person's view of when it is worn by the "masses" so to speak, and the objective answer of when the masses are no longer wearing it, seeing as the classical definition of trend is intimately tied with the masses.

both are right, it just depends on wether u seek to answer the question from your own fashion forward point of view, or from the generally accepted point of view.

For me, a trend is dead and beyond resuscitation when I see people wearing it at the airport.

Or when I start to see mall versions for little girls. :lol:

deciding when a trend is out is very subjective, IMO. For me, a trend is out when a new trend cannibalizes it, like skinny jeans and bootcuts. No one wants to wear bootcuts anymore when people (especially "stylish" people) are wearing skinny jeans. Thus, bootcuts are out, skinny jeans are in.

I hope I'm making some sense. ^_^

... it shows up at Walmart.

I saw a pair of studded flats there the other day. And that's how I knew that we probably won't be seeing heavy studding again (at least this decade) in the high fashion rags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
effettovetro
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->