Your best buys in 2012

RedandNavy

Reaction score
With 2012 still not too far behind and many of us thinking about next season's wardrobe I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's best buys in the past year were. What did you buy that you'd totally buy again? Any splurges that were really worth it? Any incredible bargains? And what could you learn from those buys?

My top three of 2012 would be:
  1. My Roger Vivier kitten heels. Seems like Roger Vivier shoes always sell out really quickly and I grabbed those without much thinking when they appeared on mytheresa.com. But even if the purchase was very impulsive I never regretted it. The shoes are such beauties and go so well with many of my things... I still get butterflies in the stomach when I look at them :blush:
  2. My McQ rabbit fur vest. Preordered it in May and kind of regretted that when I had to wait till Nov to get it, but ever since it arrived I have been wearing it a lot! Definitely great price per wear ^_^ It is different from the usual cable knit sweaters I tend to wear on cold winter days and so refreshing...
  3. My Chloé bag. I have been wanting a Chloé bag for ages but somehow never really felt like spending so much money. So I just went ahead and grabbed this one when it went on sale... And it was a very good decision to just splurge a bit on such a classic.

There were many other good buys in 2012 but these come to mind immediatly. What I learnt? Sometimes an impulsive buy is good when you really fall in love AND it is an item that goes well with your wardrobe. And sometimes you just have to go ahead and splurge on that classic you always loved, even if you know you could buy five nice tops for it ^_^

Pics: Mytheresa.com and net-a-porter.com

Attachments

• mcqrabbitfurvest2.jpg
    mcqrabbitfurvest2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 4
  • P00049758-BELLE-DE-NUIT-SUEDE-KITTEN-HEEL-PUMPS-STANDARD.jpg
    P00049758-BELLE-DE-NUIT-SUEDE-KITTEN-HEEL-PUMPS-STANDARD.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
  • chloeba.jpg
    chloeba.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 2
i think some of the best things i bought were shoes. have enjoyed wearing agl 2-tone oxfords, & have gotten many compliments on them, esp from men. they are almost a conversation piece, and make lots of different outfits more interesting. also polka dot anyi lu ballets, which are coming in handy now, and miu miu suede peeptoes. also lanvin black wool knit skirt that feels like wearing air.

i think this is a great idea for a thread but seems to me that it would be better in the shopping forum...

:flower:...

i will try to think of my best buys...
probably they will all be by Yohji...

:P

also- i got a great pair of Clergerie wedge sandals that i'm very happy with...
and a v. nice pr of a.f. vandevorst heeled sandals with zips...

those are the things that stand out in my mind most, so they must be my best buys!...^^_^

My best buy was actually a gift for my birthday, and it's a Schott black leather biker jacket. I consider it as my best buy because it's one I plan on keeping my whole life haha

Between the huge amount of clothes I got last year, relatively few of them became staples in my wardrobe.

• ZARA leopard print trousers - these are super soft and very lightweight. I never thought I could pull them off but they look amazing paired with a simple T-shirt and a black boyfriend blazer. I love them! :heart:
  • ASOS fluffy mink coloured scarf - I've worn this almost every day in the winter. It's huge and unbeliavably soft and fluffy.
  • heeled black Chelsea boots from Humanic - Wanted a pair of these for ages and they were an absolute bargain. I wear them all the time.
  • Regal Rose Vivienne necklace (spiky) - This necklace adds just the right edge to my girly outfits. I got it in silver.
  • hot pink ASOS clutch with gold hardware - Perfect little bag for going out as well as bringing some colour into an otherwise drab outfit.
  • gorgeous white Orsay skater dress with tiny little shiny discs woven in the fabric, can't explain it, but it's absolutely lovely. Wear it every single week, to work or going to lunch, drinks... It can be dressed up or down and it really is my best buy last year.
  • ZARA grey moustache print T-shirt - Odd choice but I've been wearing this shirt nonstop since I got it. The material is lovely, it's very soft and I love the quirky print!

Some pictures...

Zara+Leopard+Trousers.jpg

paperdollybird.blogspot.com

asos-mink-fluffy-snood-product-1-4771633-343119189_large_flex.jpeg

lyst.com

newshoes1.jpg

my pic

300.jpg

regalrose.co.uk

I am wearing every item I have bought in 2012 a lot because I shopped wisely, but the following were the best and I am sure I will continue wearing them for years ... Some of these I got as a gift for different occasions, but I chose them myself. ^_^

Sam Edelman Trina sandals in tan
M8W1MDR.png

t-shirtandtails

COS dress in acid yellow
0134103013_1_0.jpg

cosstores

Mango tapered leather trousers
2IwkAoK.jpg

shop.mango

Céline cat eyes 50's retro sunglasses
h0d6L3j.jpg

onlylens

Asos studded cap leather brogues
image1xl.jpg

asos

American Apparel Fisherman's sweater in navy
dVE0YiI.jpg

asos

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm
i realized that the Y's by Yohji Yamamoto black wool cap with a buckle in the front is the thing from last year that i wear most...

it wasn't cheap, but i do wear it often...
^_^

Oooh, I love this thread! Really puts into your previous purchases into perspective. I opened my wardrobe to find my best buys and I had to think very hard to remember when I bought what:blink: Much I have already gotten rid of. My list of "not so good buys" was very long in 2012. I am working on that... myself --> :rolleyes:

My best buys:

1. Leather handbag in cognac. I love this bag! It goes with everything I own (it even matches my hair:P). I can fit my entire life into it. :heart:

2. Dune Tall leather boots. Also bought them in brown, because I am insane, apparently. They weren't even on sale.:blink:

3. Kate Moss for Topshop silk Jacket. Bought it on Ebay for nothing, but I still haven't been able to wear it. Come summer I vow to live in itB)

4. Vintage fox fur coat. Also matches my hair... It is the only item that does not go with my new handbag:( Somehow my red hair matches my bag and my coat, but the coat and bag look terrible next to each other:angry:

(Sources: origamileather.com/houseoffraser/be.com/my own picture/)

Attachments

• cognactote_1_1024x1024.jpg
    cognactote_1_1024x1024.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2
  • I_5052724765180_51_20121108.jpg
    I_5052724765180_51_20121108.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1
  • veste-basique-coton-beige-kate-moss-for-topshop-355113355-115934.jpg
    veste-basique-coton-beige-kate-moss-for-topshop-355113355-115934.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2013-02-09 18.48.55.jpg
    2013-02-09 18.48.55.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 0
My best buys so far:

1. Striped knit sweater from Lindex. It's so comfy and goes with everything.

S0000006910832_F_W40_20121102092516.jpg

Lindex.com

2. Ankle booties from Nelly.com. Perfect, simple black booties which I've been looking for months.

WP_000481_zps75cf267c.jpg

My own photo

@Juliette: Great boots!

My best buys were from the accesories department.

1. ACNE pistol black boots. I wear them all the time. Maybe a 3-4 times pr. week average. Counting the summer period as well.
2. YSL mail clutch. Before I got it I only were using clutch for clubbing but now I wear it with me all the time.

Had a lot of other great purchases; a parkacoat, sneakers and a black sweater as well, but the boots and the clutch are the absolute best.

Great idea for a thread! softgrey, I'm so curious about the Yohji pieces you choose... I bought a Y's dress (my first purchase from this line) this year and I already think it's going to make the list for 2013.

Sorry in advance for the huge pictures...

Dr. Martens boots : I thought they wouldn't be good enough for all the snow we've had in Canada but they've survived surprisingly well (so far, we still have snow)! Always choose these over my other leather boots.
drmartens_serena_black0003.jpg

Coach Legacy Duffle Bag : Bought this last summer, I like it because the design isn't busy, and it's casual enough so I can throw it around and scratch it and not really care.
Coach_legacy_leather_duffle_15.jpg

Surface To Air Varsity Jacket : I like how it's sheepskin / wool and not the usual wool / leather mix. I think varsity jackets can look too preppy or too try-hard but this one looks kind of weird, which suits me lol.
surface_to_air_navy_navy_wool_varsity_jacket_pro.jpg

Maison Martin Margiela x H&M Bodysuit : there are so many ways to style this. I'm glad I was able to pick it up in my size.

A very thin David Bowie grey jersey t-shirt from the Thin White Duke era : I've been wearing this almost everyday.

towerboots.com, coach.com, ssense.com

My best purchases last year were two winter items I will be wearing A LOT

the jacket in navy blue
402975_10151267791495557_1889027647_n.jpg

this coat
182248_10150406496965557_2275944_n.jpg

and this faux fur coat
182888_10150406496100557_2950409_n.jpg

source: ay not dead facebook
i got them in an outlet sale for less than 100 dollars each

I adored Prada in 2012 ! Both the SS and AW collections were - in my opinion - completely fabulous and extremely wearable ! I was horrendously exorbitant last year but I just couldn't help myself !!

Prada AW12:

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8913.jpg
    IMG_8913.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8900.jpg
    IMG_8900.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 0
Silk in abundance !! The trousers of SS12 were fabulous too.

Prada SS12 (I also loved the studded jackets but have no photos)

Attachments

• IMG_3103-e1358740426626.jpg
    IMG_3103-e1358740426626.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3108-e1358740473333.jpg
    IMG_3108-e1358740473333.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20130223-153211.jpg
    20130223-153211.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics