Cleaning out your closet

I need to do this when I return home from uni for good in June. In my uni house I have a huge wardrobe with shelves, clothes hanging up around the room and a drawer unit whilst at home I have a single wardrobe.

My room at home is tiny so I really don't know what to do. Any tips for storage in a small room? I'm hoping if I re-arrange and throw a lot of stuff out, not just clothes I can fit in a metal clothes rail. I think only my coats, blazers and fancy dresses will fit in my wardrobe, argh this is gonna be so tough.

This might not be an option, but can you store a couple of suitcases in your room, maybe under the bed? You could pack half your clothes and only keep half of your wardrobe in rotation at any given time. When seasons change or you get tired of the clothes you have out, you could pull out the suitcase and rotate things out.

My closet is out of control, mostly because I collect vintage that I really don't have the room for (which I absolutely cannot throw away).

I also have trouble getting rid of any clothes/accessories that people have gifted me, especially my family. I would feel guilty, though I know I'll never wear them. Anyone else have this problem?

I actually had a genius idea today, since my friends and I have all been whining lately about our lack of fun clothes, is to all go to a swap meet together, the thing is I am having a hard time finding one. I think I just need to keep stuffing all my clothes I don't want into a big bag, and keep my eyes peeled for a flyer.

I've sorted out my clothes now and placed my favorite ones in a new cabinet while the rest hang on metal rods . For the heavy winter stuff and other items that need storing, I bought some giant IKEA plastic containers (with wheels at the bottom). This way, I know what's inside each container.

It seems I have a lot of colorful clothes and not many neutrals LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I need to review this thread and get inspired for Spring cleaning! :D

I can be pretty ruthless when it comes to cleaning out my closet. It's taken awhile to become this way. I just keep reminding myself that there's no point in keeping unflattering clothes. They'll probably look great on someone else and those people should have them.

I have also given myself a tiny section of closet where I can keep whatever I want. It's more of an archive - things I'm sentimental about, valuable vintage and so on. But when I decide to add something to the archive, I must remove something so it doesn't overtake the closet.

I used to be really emotional about clothes. I read somewhere in some clutter/hoarding article that memories are in the :heart:, and not in stuff.

Might actually try the suitcase thing but I have such issues most of it will probably be out in under a month and living on my floordrobe. However it'll probably help to control clothing whilst I work in a pub and look for a proper fashion job, as really nice stuff isn't going to be worn to the pub.

I do the "suitcase thing" but the problem with my closet is I am kind of an 'out of sight out of mind' type when it comes to my clothes. If I can't see my clothes, they really fall out of rotation. Everything has to be hung on a rack, I can't really do drawers. I tend to stuff everything in to old grocery tote bags and stash it random places when I need extra space, only to uncover it months later, and realize that I'd bought XYZ thing, to replace ABC other thing I forgot I even owned.

It would be funny to make some kind of Excel detailing every piece I have, but actually pulling that off seems like a really gruesome endeavor to me.

The other awesome thing is pulling out a suitcase to pack for travel, and realizing that it is full of clothes that now need to be put somewhere else.

I also have trouble getting rid of any clothes/accessories that people have gifted me, especially my family. I would feel guilty, though I know I'll never wear them. Anyone else have this problem?

I do too. But it's a lot easier if you can give it to someone you know will appreciate and use it.

I've organized a few clothing swaps; friends come over with clothing and accessories they don't wear and they take home something new if they want.

i did a major clean out in 2009, after i moved back home from college and had a full closet at home and an equally full closet of clothes i was bringing home from NYC.

i'm a fan of making separate piles (keep, maybe, donate, sell, tailor/clean). also stuff that was sentimental that i didn't wear i put either in drawers or hung in my brother's closet that he doesn't use.

i did end up selling some of the items (newer stuff, mostly) and probably made $200-$300, which made me feel better about having a ridiculous shopping habit. the only problem is, there is a HUGE heap of clothing on my floor that's been there since 2009 that i have yet to get around to selling. ugh!

and throughout 2010, i just added stuff to the pile as i encountered items i didn't like, or stopped wearing because i found something better to replace it.

i definitely need to do another major clean out though, but now it's just tough to find the time! i found that i needed at least 1 day for the cleaning and at least 1 more for organizing everything! and then after that, days and days of posting things to sell!

oh also there are some good books about cleaning out your closet. for me these books are a helpful motivator and also extremely helpful in understanding the value of a closet edit. nothing to wear? was my favorite, and i think i've read pretty much every closet organization book out there

Cleaning out my closet for real today! Neither of my roommates are home, so I am going to blast some dance music and sort everything in to donate/sell/keep piles!

Cleaning out my closet for real today! Neither of my roommates are home, so I am going to blast some dance music and sort everything in to donate/sell/keep piles!

i think music is absolutely essential to the closet clean-out process :lol:

just gets you in the zone and keeps you going through what can be a huge process ^_^

Last night I went through 5 different outfits and left unsatisfied. I need a new wardrobe and a more mature one cause I look 16 with the clothes I have right now. I need a simple, classy, sexy, and mature closet :smile:

I've had an obsession with closet organization ever since Oprah did that episode where she cleaned out Gayle's closet. I actually have two closets now because I need extra room because I don't like my stuff packed too close together.

My new apartment is kind of ridiculous in terms of closet space - There is no closet in my room exactly, but there's a walk in closet off the hallway, and I have two dressers plus a very loaded down coat rack in my bedroom, plus a smaller coat closet stuffed with old yoga gear. I've been pulling things out and posting them on Ebay, but I am trying to pace myself with the auction listings. I don't want to have to ship a million garments at once.

I got rid of a lot of stuff over the past week, the bulk of it yesterday. I'm trying to go from "clutter" to "things I love." One of the things I have to get over is holding on to things just because I spent X dollars on it. If they don't give me any pleasure in wearing them, they still cost more than they're worth.

advice from the wall street journal (wsj.com)

Q: I have limited closet space, and I just dug out a denim skirt and an almost-new cashmere shell sweater that were in there on the floor and I forgot about. I want to organize better so that I can get more out of my wardrobe and make it easier to pack my luggage before a trip.
—R.R., New York CityA: Crowded closets are the bane of apartment living, especially in New York. So pare your wardrobe down to the best of the best, display everything as visibly as possible, and insist that all garments are always in wear-now condition.

Group dresses and separates by color—instead of by season—which will coax you to mix cashmere with cotton voile and khaki with velvet, with surprisingly cool results. Use hooks and peg boards to hang scarves, long necklaces or handbags; you'll be inspired to wear them more if they are in full view.
Weed out too-snug items: Even if you don't gain much, your weight shifts around as you age—so you should keep auditioning clothes that are more than five years old. Ditch all those cute stilettos that hurt your feet—and vow never to go there again. But hang on to special vintage items, even if you wear them rarely. The men's kimono I bought in a Tokyo flea market 26 years ago is timeless and works with skinny jeans and black leggings, so it stays forever.
Resolve to fix or nix clothes that aren't ready for active duty, such as the top with the huge grease spot and anything that needs to be altered or to have zippers or buttons replaced.
The workhorses in my wardrobe are maybe 10 outfits that I wear again and again—and it's probably the same for you. With few exceptions, I now limit my shopping to replicating variations of my all-time favorites.

The hard thing is, I don't think I have very many clothes. I could probably fit it all in to two large suitcases if I had to, but of course my boyfriend thinks I have a lot of clothes. It's hard to say, but I would venture that my clothing is simply poorly organized. I tend to wear certain to death before parting with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicheleO
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->