Your high/low style

mkd1187

Reaction score
I always start a thread by saying that I searched for an existing one. Which is true.

But softgrey posted a comment in the "Old Navy" forum which inspired this.

Basically this is about mixing high-end/low-end together. I love it, which is why I made the "Clothing Vs. Accessories" thread. This seems more specific tho.

MODS - please, either merge or what is necassary.

Elle US also inspired me this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fashion speaking, I can't afford to go all "High" and even if I could I don't think I would.

I can splurge on what I consider to be essential items, but for me, trendy, one season wonder items, should always be cheap.

Fashion speaking, I can't afford to go all "High" and even if I could I don't think I would.

I can splurge on what I consider to be essential items, but for me, trendy, one season wonder items, should always be cheap.

i totally agree. even if i could afford all "high" i wouldnt because so many "high" style items could be found for way cheaper.

It reminds me of how a year ago or so I kept seeing pictures of Allison Mosshart sporting the same gold Dior Homme boots. She must have loved them a lot because she wore them so much that they were really beat up, but it worked for her. I thought it came off as a cool high/low thing.

Anybody with a budget has to make these kinds of tradeoffs. It's smart to buy cheap where you can or it's impossible to afford a nice bag or coat. I usually wind up buying used rather than low-end. I'd like to become better at shopping for cheap stuff. I can be kind of a quality snob and in the end I'm still not sure if I'm getting the most for my money.

i also can't go high. plus i go through looks and clothes so quickly to me it would be a waste of money to buy designer labels, when i'd rather buy knockoffs, not knowing how long it will be until im sick of it/destroy it.

i don't know what i said to inspire this thread...
but i have just found it and i have to say that i definitely dig the HIGH/LOW thing...
:P

i love putting high end pieces with things i pick up from some random mass market shop....or vintage...or street vendors...etc...

the mix is what makes it personal and original and unique...
and ...eventually...somehow...
it's what makes an outfit 'me'...

to me...this is what personal style is all about...
the mix...
the ingredients that make up the final recipe which results in my personal taste...
^_^

I like this topic.^_^ Thanks for starting it.

For me, my finances deter my "high" side from being that high anyway (aka no fendi furs and givenchy booties are found in my wardrobe). But I think as with most things how high is "high" and how low is "low" can be relative and still apply.

Things that I'm willing to spend more money on or buy more expensive versions of when they are on sale at a more realistic (for me) price:

- shoes
- bags
- jeans
- coats and jackets
- special occasion dresses
- watches and classic jewelry and accessories that I know will be worn regularly and for a long time

stuff I can't justify spending a lot on:

- a trend I want to try but I don't know how much I actually will wear it and I do know that it will be gone quickly
- emergencies that I am not planning to wear any more than that one time that I *really need it*
- trendy jewelry
- trendy accessories such as belts and scarves in non-classic styles
- knits such as tanks and t-shirts. I know why people spend a ton of money for some brands of knits, but I personally don't see that the fibers and construction make *That* much of a difference to justify a crazy triple digit price. I don't think you need to spend more than $30 (and often can find for less) for good quality cotton Ts and tanks. I will spend more (closer to the $30 mark) for stuff I will wear showing or on it's own. But for things that I wear as an under layer and doesn't show most of the time, I just buy those $2.50 camis from F21. They come in a trillion colors and I just wear them to protect my better clothes from touching my skin.

- my highs are entirely GIFTS
for example:
- An scarf
- An umbrella
- Accessories i never wore (so i gave it to my mom...when u are a child gold is like argh,,,no matter how much it cost)
- t shirt
- A coat that is light and whitie but i wore it while touring at the UK so i gotta trashed it ooops! Love it this way though
- A pair of shoes
- A bracelet i broke ...so sad

- my lows made me look like a rocker posh or something hahah
im a jeans and scarf addict and big earrings are my new crush on complements.

Sometimes are like more fakes cause are not animal abuser...

its also incredibly funny how lows and highs meet at some markets at the same prize.

There some people with a full wardrobe of highs who do really need a trend adviser sooo bad...so its not the prize but the style.

i cannot wear expensive watches all got broken at my use or expensive sunglasses...same reason... people know this pretty well

^I love jeans and scarves!

I agree, if I could afford to go all high I don't think I would either. Actually, all of my high items have been ebay victories or last call finds. I've also had luck finding high items in thrift shops.

I typically buy inexpensive Ts and other knits ... spend more on skirts, pants, coats, and accessories. The majority of my outfits are high/low ... it's the exception when I end up with one that's all high :wink: I like buying things at the contemporary price point too ... there's often no sacrifice of quality. Why spend more when you don't have to? :wink:

Most of my shoes are designer as I like them to be really interesting, as well as of good quality so as to be kind to my feet. And those requirements typically dictate high-end ...

Mostly highs:

• jackets, coats (love these items, really add personality to an outfit)
  • shoes (I walk a lot, need to be comfortable and like jackets make the outfit so I often buy high),
  • bags but since I bought my dream bag a few years ago, I haven't splurged on any other bag.
  • lingerie especially bras
  • perfume
mostly low:

• T's like Fashionista-ta and Pinksatin mentioned good quality can come cheap for these items so why spend more?
  • Trendy items, for instance the studded stuff that's everywhere that I like. But no way I'm going to splurge on Isabel Marant or American Retro for these as I KNOW I'll be fed up with it in a very short time.
  • Trousers and jeans: I'm a skirt/dresses girl. All high end I own are bargains or cheap ones from h&m, zara.
  • Winter accessories: hats, gloves, tights and socks.
On the fence: skirts, scarves and knits.

I also spend differently on high/low according to seasons.

During Summer, I just can't justify spending tons of money on items that, depending on the weather, I could wear only a few days and that I'd have to store back come September.

So this season, most of the high end items I bought were marked down or good eBay deals.

On the other end, for Fall Winter, I won't hesitate as much on spending more.

have you all noticed that it seems like a lot of people wear really basic/cheap clothes with really expensive bags and shoes?...

i feel like this is really really common...

personally, i really dislike the look...
it's like they're trying to buy their way into some kind of club with an expensive designer bag...
but they themselves still look cheap and trashy...

i mean---who do they think they are fooling?!

:unsure:

^ I think any instance in which a designer label needs to make up for a lack of understanding about cut/fit/fabric/proportions/colour is a bit... :ermm:
I once saw an episode of What Not To Wear (guilty pleasure) where the make-over candidate wore all these $5 lycra minidresses with Chanel platform heels, Fendi bags, etc. she just looked terrible, but most of all, her look made it just so painfully clear that she was so unsure of herself - and that showing skin and flashing designer labels were sort of a shield, a diversion from all that.

for me, it's a completely different thing when people do understand about cut and colour and all that, and pair trousers from Zara with Dries van Noten shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->