Your investment pieces

*Happiness*

Reaction score
Investment Pieces

Hello All!

I have a quick question.

What items (clothing, accessories, shoes, etc) are considered investment pieces?

How much should one spend on such pieces??

Thanks. :flower:

In economics, diamonds, antique fine jewellery and possibly couture dresses. Anything that would be an appreciating asset.

Otherwise anything expensive, non-seasonal (possibly classic) and wearable which will last a long time. eg. a Birkin.

Jewelry, for one... not that sterling silver ubiquituous stuff from Tiffany's.

A great handbag. A class Hermes or Chanel, for instance.

A fabulous coat.

Shoes you can get away with without dropping too much money on, but nothing ruins an outfit faster than cheap-looking shoes.

A little black dress you can where everywhere.

For Men and Women :wacko:

*I think a nice white button down shirt, that fits great.

*A black one also would be great :heart:

*A Tux! that fits great, it has to fit great, invest in a good one, and let's look at it like this, rentals are expensive, and if you start building up, the amount of money you pay on rentals can get you a nice tux... this will keep you good for at least 5 yrs.

*Blazers, suits, pants, that fit great also, its a great investment

*Basic black or brown shoes, the cleanest the shape, the better for you to dress up or down...

*A Handbag, ( Birkin, any basic, classic colour and shape will fit in this category)

cant think of anything else ...

I think of investment items as something that are worth spending a lot of money on bc they are classic staples that will last you for a while and that you can match with other pieces in your wardrobe.

Specific items could be a Cartier watch, a well-cut suit, a long wool coat that will go over anything, a knee-length trench coat, cashmere sweaters, classic gowns that don't go out of season, a Kelly/Chanel bag, diamond studs, Manolo Blahniks, etc. but of course it depends on your needs and tastes.

absolutely agree, ale and fawn! good quality classic, yet versatile pieces you can dress up or down but will always look great and last you so you get your money's worth :wink:

Techinically the only things that are really good INVESTMENT pieces are things that appreciate in value, but what the hell...anything you can wear FOREVER and never goes out of style.

-A pair of jeans that fits you like a glove...and even when you break them in, still look fabulous.
-Concert t-shirts. If you go to shows...DON'T skip the merch booth. You know someday they'll be vintage!
-A nice fitting trench coat. The trench will NEVER go out of style.

Em

I think in terms of what will be worth more in future years...(sadly) very little!!! Perhaps diamonds, antique stuff - but to be honest - probably even that wouldn't. The majority of diamonds, etc do depreciate because a lot of the money pays for the design rather than the material. If you were to wear a block of gold bullion around your neck......well maybe.

In practical terms I think lots of things are worth spending a lot on. Not that they will appreciate, but you will get a lot of 'wears per dollar' out of them. My personal favourate 'investment piece' is my black mink jacket. It cost $2,500, but already I have worn it lots and it is very warm and also stylish. I don't think it will go out of fashion because it is a 'classic' type jacket.

this would be my investment piece; i'm a poor student, so...:cry:

Attachments

• kokosalaki ss04-1.jpg
    kokosalaki ss04-1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 4
i'd wear it with a pair of jeans and a black jacket to go shopping,
:heart:
i'd wear it with nice boots to go dancing
:heart:

also;

- nice black boots (I love these from Chanel; I know they're old ones, but I don't care, just love them)
- a little black dress
- a corset !
- a pair of stilettos
- a couture dress (Versace, Chanel or Elie Saab); custom made

if only I had the money :unsure:

Attachments

• chanel.jpg
    chanel.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 5
  • chanel boots.jpg
    chanel boots.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2
  • black shoes.jpg
    black shoes.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1
  • dress.jpg
    dress.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 2
Fashion Classics That Never Lose Value

Cultured Classics
[http://money.aol.com]
photo courtesy of Portfolio.com

4623d67f-002d2-021de-400cb8e1

Burberry Trench
Thomas Burberry founded Burberry in 1856, making his name with outdoor attire made from gabardine, a fabric he invented. In 1914, he created a coat for British soldiers; meant to be functional, it became fashionable. The trench has since appeared in many fabrics. According to creative director Christopher Bailey, it is the jumping-off point for all of Burberry's collections. The men's classic trench starts at $850.

4623da35-0016a-021de-400cb8e1

Cartier Love Bracelet
Designed in 1969, the Love bracelet has graced the wrist of everyone from Elizabeth Taylor to Katie Holmes. First made of yellow gold, it now has variations in pink and white gold, with or without diamonds. Fastened using a tiny screwdriver, the Love bracelet quickly became Cartier's signature piece. In the first two months of 2007, the company sold about $15 million worth in the U.S. alone.

4623d7c3-00177-021de-400cb8e1

Gucci Loafer
The loafer (or moccasin, as Gucci calls it) debuted in 1953. In 1985, the shoe, with its iconic horse-bit buckle, became part of the Costume Institute's collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The hand-sewn shoes start at $430; for crocodile skin, the price can rise to four digits. They're available in brown or black leather year-round, with variations introduced seasonally.

4623da37-00161-021de-400cb8e1

Hermès Kelly Bag
First made in 1892, this bag was originally designed to carry saddles. In 1956, after Grace Kelly used one to shield her pregnancy from public view, it got a new name and glamorous image. Priced from $6,000 to $18,000, the bags take a single artisan about 25 hours to make, and are notoriously hard to come by. The Hermès boutique in Manhattan has closed its wait list, but bags do occasionally show up on its shelves.

4623da38-0027c-021de-400cb8e1

Hermès Scarf
Introduced in 1937, the Hermès scarf has become an international signifier of good taste and a consistent source of sales for the company. Made of hefty silk twill, the scarves start at $325 each -- pricey enough to be a luxury but affordable enough to be collected. Two sets of new designs are released each year, and the most desirable vintage prints can sell for thousands of dollars.

4623dac3-003d7-021de-400cb8e1

Rolex Oyster Perpetual Watch
One of the world's most recognizable timepieces, the Oyster debuted in 1926. In 1931, the "perpetual" technology that makes the watch self-winding was added. The watch is prized for its fine design and indestructibility; it can withstand 500 degrees of heat and is waterproof up to 100 meters. Prices start at $5,050 for stainless-steel and $20,550 for an all-gold version.

4623dac5-0004f-021de-400cb8e1

Tiffany Six-Prong Solitaire
When Tiffany founder Charles Lewis Tiffany acquired the French crown jewels in 1848, the New York media dubbed him the king of diamonds. But the 1886 debut of the six-prong Tiffany setting put the jeweler on the map for good. Rings start at $1,090, for an 18-point diamond set in platinum, and go to well over $1 million. The setting helps maximize the diamond's brilliance while protecting it from day-to-day damage.

LOVE the scarf....unfortunately it sort of reminded me of the one I took to an upscale consignement shop two days before the owner absconded with all the merchandise. :( :( :( I didn't appreciate it at the time but now.... oh what a fool!!!

i'm getting a rolex, so good to know.

How much is the love Cartier bracelet in gold?

I think it's a pretty spot on-list. I have been dreaming of a Burberry trench for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->