Panama hat! :magic:

optimofino1.JPG

perfectpanamas.com

A couple more images of vintage classics. Hermès scarf :heart: hermes.com

grandetenue.jpg

Louis Vuitton trunks - louisvuitton.com

lvsuitcasedisp_jp50.jpg

rennart.co.uk . nvo.com

I would add Chanel "les ballerines" flats, in beige and black, to the classic list. These are good choices.

i can't decide if this is a classic list or a safe list, or if they're one and the same. what does classic mean...
according to thefreedictionary.com:

adj.
a. belonging to the highest rank or class
b. serving as the established model or standard
c. having lasting significance or worth; enduring
a. adhering or conforming to established standards and principles.
b. of a well-known type;typical
3. (not applicable)
a. formal, refined, and restrained in style
b. simple and harmonious; elegant
noun
1. An artist, author, or work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance.
2. A work recognized as definitive in its field.
3. (not applicable)
4. A typical or traditional example.
5. Informal A superior or unusual example of its kind

while i can see that "classic" can be applied to fashion objectively, at the same time, i can't quite figure out how. lol
but thus far the things put forth have been label-based, rather than item-based. i agree that burberry makes a "classic" trench. and tiffany&co. makes a "classic" engagement ring. but the same basic design by another company would be no less classic, IF we're talking about the design's resonance as a classic.
then, to qualify as adj. 1 b. the item would have to be the first that others have since copied. since a trench coat is based on military coats worn by british and french soldiers in wwI and created by thomas burberry, it is probably a safe assumption that a burberry trench is as classic as they come. :smile:
so there's classic, and then there's classic.

1. Goyard Trunks
2. Louis Vuitton Monogram Trunks
3. Hermes Silk Scarves
4. Rolex Watches
5. Hermes Briefcases

These to me are classics, atleast in a male's point of view.

I once bought a Burberry trench but the cotton one had sold out so I bought a thin nylon-y one. I sent it back. I live right by the factory too and the have them on display all the time. :(

i can't decide if this is a classic list or a safe list, or if they're one and the same.

It is pretty safe ... but the second piece of the thread is: "that never lose value." Never is a long time of course :P and certainly my Burberry trench has lost value ... but the retail price has also about doubled since I bought it. Plus the quality of mine is probably better than what you'd buy for twice the money today ...

I agree, though, that much of what's mentioned in this thread is unspeakably boring :innocent:

PS I'd say Nancy Pelosi's South Sea pearls fall in this category ...

^^ lol, i took "never lose value" to mean in terms of usefulness, as a regular, active piece of a wardrobe.

striped navy and white long-sleeve french sailor t.

i find it really hard to think about this thread, to think of things for it. i would never wear a polo, and to me it's not classic, so i don't know if i can think of objective classics. there are things i might buy and consider "classic" as in enduring, and that i would wear for 20 years... but i don't know if anyone else would see them that way.

You won't be giving the gift of Helmut Lang, I take it :P

style.com

Probably not, but you know, I like this a lot better :wink: For one thing, it's tongue-in-cheek, and for another, it doesn't purport to be about love :wink:

A pair of perfectly tailored black cigarette pants!

So flattering at any age.

Perhaps a pair by Jil Sander?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->