Your Magazine Cover Predictions & Speculations for 2019

Vogue US:
Yara Shahidi

Very much doubt this. I tried to quote a major magazine article in the cover rumor thread which I believe had tea on Yara and Vogue but the possibility of this happening is slim to none. Especially since it doesn't look like Yara has been wearing Chanel for major appearances recently, if she's not a Chanel ambassador anymore that definitely stops her chances for a cover next year.

I’ll be a dark horse and guess Resse Witherspoon will get a cover. With Legally Blonde 3 filming, it’s great pre press before it comes out in 2020. Anna loves using her classic pets the moment they get a new role.

I don't think she'll get one, I think Reese has officially aged out of being on the cover of Vogue under Anna.

Predictions:
For any magazines that survive this year, I imagine they'll keep doing what they're doing. Giving covers to a mix of 'diverse' subjects while also leaning on safe bets (see the recent Jen Aniston covers, for instance).

Vogue US. If it's stale and uninspired, you'll see it on Vogue. February- possibly Lupita with the Biebers on the digital cover, March-Brie, April- Ariana, May-Serena or Gaga. I thought Serena for sure since Gaga just had a cover but if Gaga gets the Oscar, it's hers. June/July/August - any of the 'models' with famous moms squad or maybe even Zendaya because I think she has another Spiderman movie coming out, September - maybe Margot? Since she has those two big movies coming out next year. Don't know about October, November or (hopefully Anna's final issue) December, probably actresses who are campaigning for Oscars (so long as they're not too old or :innocent:)

Vogue UK. Megan Markle. It's coming, it's just a matter of when. Around May, marking her first wedding anniversary? Or will that be too soon after the baby's birth. Does that mean September then? Or maybe even December as Edward's final cover since he'll be headed over to Vogue US in 2020 :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I'm sorry I can't let this statement stand. This is categorically false. Someone else made this same argument a while ago on the forums and they were also wrong. I don't know where this idea on tFS is coming from? Plenty of magazines are putting black actresses on their covers.

Viola was on Glamour last month (December) and is currently on L'Officiel US. InStyle had Tracee a couple months ago and Taraji is on the cover now. Angela covered Allure and Elle recently, Kerry was on Marie Clare recently and Yara and Issa Rae covered Marie Clare earlier this year as well. Zoe Kravitz has been on a ton of covers this year, including Harper's which was a shocker because Glenda is even worse than Anna regarding 'diversity' if you can imagine. And these are just the actresses I can think of off the top of my head.

Black actresses are getting covers, it's only Vogue that has a problem with putting black actresses on the cover that are not Lupita. So let's not conflate Anna and Vogue being problematic regarding which black actresses they deem worthy and deserving of a cover with the rest of the magazine editors who are trying (there's of course always room for improvement but they are trying, way more than Anna is).
you’re right. I wrote too fast without thinking..
I’ll articulate my point better: I want to see Viola on the cover of Vogue precisely (which seems to be the too obsessed with Lupita :lol:)

I won’t make any predictions because they are already depressing...

Only wishes!

Adut on the cover of VP or US Vogue.
A return of Meisel for US Vogue.
Tracee E.R. On Us Vogue.

US Vogue released a "73 Questions With Bella Hadid" today, maybe she will get the February cover.
I think Feb would be too early? The 73 Q's used to come with a cover story but now I feel like it has turned into a way for the magazine to test out potential cover stars... see Priyanka.

I'm somewhat excited to see which faces we'll see on and in US Vogue this year. Both the entertainement director and model booking director left around October/November. Hopefully that means new faces, and not the same old celebs and models we're used to.

Re Bella, she's the last person I want to see cover this magazine. I really hope we don't get a sister cover. I wouldnt mind Gigi solo though, at that point she's earned it.

US VOGUE 2019

In NO particular order:
ZENDAYA
RIHANNA (because she should have a cover every year)
BLAKE LIVELY
KARLIE KLOSS
SERENA WILLIAMS
THE RETURN OF LINDA EVANGELISTA
CYNTHIA ERIVO
MARGOT ROBBIE
JENNIFER HUDSON or TAYLOR SWIFT (CATS)
SCARLETT JOHANSSON
ADUT WITH OTHER “IT” MODELS
VIOLA DAVIS or TRACEE ELLIS ROSS

EXTRAS:
MICHELLE OBAMA
SJP
KATE HUDSON
90s SUPERMODELS

I'll go with the usual suspects...Gigi, Bella, Kendall, Beyoncé, Cardi, Jennifer Anniston, Nicole Kidman, Zoe Kravitz, JLo, Nicki Minaj,Margo Robbie, Natalie Portman and Jennifer Lawrence.

I have no predictions, and most of the ones posted above guarantee another bland year.

However, the return of Meisel and Madonna to American Vogue is my perennial dream.

Hope to see Naomie Harris on UK Vogue. She's way overdue, and photographs splendidly. Would also like to see Saiorse and Jorja Smith get covers in the new year. I also think it's maybe time to give a British tv actress the cover for a change, and I don't mean Claire Foy or the girl from Poldark. We have so many actresses who at least visually embody the Vogue woman in series such Nicola Walker in The Split, whose second season will be out next year. I think the Meisel covers will again be narrowed down to who he'll want to shoot.
Hopefully Micaela Cole will finally get a cover. Even if it is for something as contrived as a comedy issue.

Big Little Lies will be out soon-ish, so I guess the stars will get some British and American covers. But not US Vogue. I predict Anna may use a lot of fresh faces next year. Please, no Rihanna, Lupita, Beyonce! Would definitely be up for another Rooney Mara cover though. I wouldn't mind it if Anna threw more movie themed covers our way. Yes to the Emily Blunt type, no to the Claire Foy version.

Would be great to see a Dominican model fold-out cover on Spanish Vogue. It feels like there's more of them by the minute, yet I've only seen Vogue Mexico and Latin America give them covers.

Shanelle Nyasiase's spectacular Vogue Brazil cover probably won't pave the way for more covers. The industry is still chasing too hard after Adut. And in terms of prestige the latter is an easier sell.

The lineup for VF's Hollywood also looks set to be something interesting based on the movies making the rounds right now. Imagine Yalitza, Gaga, and Melissa McCarthy on one cover? Not sure if the current can make it happen on her own though.

Also think we'll sadly see more Victoria Beckham covers next year because her business seems to be growing and that will be the topic of discussion, I guess. I find her famewhoring ways positively insufferable and it's part of the reason why suckers may buy her clothes, but her peers will never respect her.

I guess Beyoncé will get another Vogue US cover or maybe UK during june/august because of The Lion King. And for septembrer, probably the Oscar winner for best actress (my predictions are Gaga or Emily)

In regards to US Vogue, this is less my prediction and more of a wish cover star list:
Kacey Musgraves (I'm aware there is no chance, but I still love the idea)
Janelle Monae
Ariana Grande, if she could be styled differently (I feel like we only see her in thigh highs and a tight high pony or casual, with flat hair and an over-sized sweatshirt)
Margot Robbie
Adut Akech
Cardi B (again, with an elevation of styling)
Sarah Paulson

Some familiar faces I wouldn't mind seeing again, in hope we could see them in a new way or with photographers at their best:
Nicole Kidman
Jennifer Aniston
Natalie Portman
Charlize Theron
Halle Berry
Blake Lively

Would love to see more of Shalom in 2019. Also Rihanna's possibly releasing music this year so that's a couple covers to be expected. Beyoncé is going to do her best to promote The Lion King and possible new album. Definitely Bree Larson for Captain Marvel - most probably american Vogue. Perhaps Emilia Clarkson on Vogue UK for the finale of Game of Thrones.

Vogue US: Tessa Thompson. She got the lead role in Men in black: International (to be released in June in the US) and given that she’s been in a rather vast array of impressive movies prior to this anticipated summer blockbuster (though it would likely end up generating a lukewarm box office imo. Men in Black isn’t such a strong franchise in the first place anyway), she could become Anna’s new favorite, black celebrity (I hate to put it that way, but let’s be real here). Regardless, I’d love to see her on any fashion cover, though. Love her classic look.

Vogue US: Tessa Thompson. She got the lead role in Men in black: International (to be released in June in the US) and given that she’s been in a rather vast array of impressive movies prior to this anticipated summer blockbuster (though it would likely end up generating a lukewarm box office imo. Men in Black isn’t such a strong franchise in the first place anyway), she could become Anna’s new favorite, black celebrity (I hate to put it that way, but let’s be real here). Regardless, I’d love to see her on any fashion cover, though. Love her classic look.

No, that's not happening. Over the past 2 decades the only black/biracial actresses (proper actresses not multi-hyphenates like Zendaya, the actress/singer/clothing designer/instgram celebrity with tens of millions of followers) have either been Oscar winners (Halle, Lupita, Jennifer Hudson) or Oscar nominees (Ruth Negga).

Tessa is neither an Oscar winner or nominee. Her resume is too mainstream (actually similar to Zoe Saldana and Zoe never got a cover either). Tessa has no fashion contracts or even beauty contracts like Lancome (for instance) and thus no additional help to negotiate for a cover.

And with the possibility of a Lupita cover for a horror film, Brie for a Marvel movie and Zendaya for Spiderman, I very much doubt she'll get a cover for MiB. Since Zendaya and Tessa's movies come out around the same time, Tessa with her 1.3 million instagram followers doesn't stand a chance against Zendaya.

I just wish more people would look at things the way they are instead of how they want things to be. Anna's has a long established (offensive) pattern regarding the standards of which black actresses (and black women in general) she deems worthy and deserving of a cover. If a black actress doesn't meet those absurd and bizarre standards, she doesn't get the cover.

I just wish more people would look at things the way they are instead of how they want things to be.

This thread is a wish list as well, you know. There's no guarantee that any of the other predictions may turn out true anyway, however calculated and sound they might seem.

Anyway, I'd also like to see Tessa on US Vogue. If her studio can rally behind her like Daisy and Claire's or even Emily's did (presumably!), then it could happen. I'd welcome it. It would be a refreshing and relevant choice. Plus Tessa is gorgeous in print.

I hope for a cover with JLO, but I do not see it happening and my dream would be a model (Doutzen or Daria) with a solo cover.

This thread is a wish list as well, you know. There's no guarantee that any of the other predictions may turn out true anyway, however calculated and sound they might seem.

Anyway, I'd also like to see Tessa on US Vogue. If her studio can rally behind her like Daisy and Claire's or even Emily's did (presumably!), then it could happen. I'd welcome it. It would be a refreshing and relevant choice. Plus Tessa is gorgeous in print.

The original poster did not say they wished Tessa would land the cover. Their post read as a prediction (which is also what this thread is about, not just wishlists).

And a Tessa cover is not happening. It's just not. Her studio is not going to rally behind her for a US Vogue cover. Tessa doesn't even have a solo Elle cover. She should start there.

I very much doubt the aforementioned actresses in your post studios' rallied for a Vogue cover (also they're all British so that is also a huge factor in why they landed covers).

You're the same person who said WB had more pull than Marvel (lol) hence why Alicia Vikander's Tomb Raider (which bombed in the US) landed her the March cover, meanwhile Lupita got January for a movie that turned out to be the biggest of the year/one of the biggest Marvel movies ever and is a current Oscar contender. If major studios rallied for covers, wouldn't Lupita have landed March instead? I've never heard of studios (outside of the Weinstein company with Oscar bait movies) pushing for covers. Isn't that the star and their PR reps responsibility? I mean, did Marvel push for a Zendaya cover for a 5 minute appearance in Spiderman in 2016? That doesn't add up.

I'll repeat, people should start looking at things the way they are instead of how they want things to be, if they're making predictions (and hope to be right about said predictions).

I'm not trying to be a killjoy but I think in 2019 people should be already know how Anna operates. If you want to wish to see someone on the cover fine, that's one thing, but if you're making predictions, your analysis should take into consideration how Anna operates.

US VOGUE 2019

In NO particular order:
ZENDAYA
RIHANNA (because she should have a cover every year)
BLAKE LIVELY
KARLIE KLOSS
SERENA WILLIAMS
THE RETURN OF LINDA EVANGELISTA
CYNTHIA ERIVO
MARGOT ROBBIE
JENNIFER HUDSON or TAYLOR SWIFT (CATS)
SCARLETT JOHANSSON
ADUT WITH OTHER “IT” MODELS
VIOLA DAVIS or TRACEE ELLIS ROSS

EXTRAS:
MICHELLE OBAMA
SJP
KATE HUDSON
90s SUPERMODELS

That made me laugh and then cry simultaneously. Spot on. ZZzzZZZ

The original poster did not say they wished Tessa would land the cover. Their post read as a prediction (which is also what this thread is about, not just wishlists).

And a Tessa cover is not happening. It's just not. Her studio is not going to rally behind her for a US Vogue cover. Tessa doesn't even have a solo Elle cover. She should start there.

I very much doubt the aforementioned actresses in your post studios' rallied for a Vogue cover (also they're all British so that is also a huge factor in why they landed covers).

You're the same person who said WB had more pull than Marvel (lol) hence why Alicia Vikander's Tomb Raider (which bombed in the US) landed her the March cover, meanwhile Lupita got January for a movie that turned out to be the biggest of the year/one of the biggest Marvel movies ever and is a current Oscar contender. If major studios rallied for covers, wouldn't Lupita have landed March instead? I've never heard of studios (outside of the Weinstein company with Oscar bait movies) pushing for covers. Isn't that the star and their PR reps responsibility? I mean, did Marvel push for a Zendaya cover for a 5 minute appearance in Spiderman in 2016? That doesn't add up.

I'll repeat, people should start looking at things the way they are instead of how they want things to be, if they're making predictions (and hope to be right about said predictions).

I'm not trying to be a killjoy but I think in 2019 people should be already know how Anna operates. If you want to wish to see someone on the cover fine, that's one thing, but if you're making predictions, your analysis should take into consideration how Anna operates.

We get it. Tessa will not get a US Vogue cover. Moving on...

But see, while your statistics may be true, the Ruth Negga cover was somewhat an exception though. She got the January cover that was published I believe a few weeks before the announcement of Oscars 2017 nominations. I had to look up the Golden Globes 2017 nominations again and apparently, she wasn’t nominated. So if Anna did give her a cover because she was an Oscar’s nominee, was anna prophetic or did she get some information in advance?

Last edited:
We get it. Tessa will not get a US Vogue cover. Moving on...

But see, while your statistics may be true, the Ruth Negga cover was somewhat an exception though. She got the January cover that was published I believe a few weeks before the announcement of Oscars 2017 nominations. I had to look up the Golden Globes 2017 nominations again and apparently, she wasn’t nominated. So if Anna did give her a cover because she was an Oscar’s nominee, was anna prophetic or did she get some information in advance?

No, Ruth was in fact nominated for a Globe. Ruth's cover was not an exception. It's called Oscar predictions. Sites like Goldderby, The Hollywood Reporter, etc. create lists of who they think will land Oscar nominations for each awards season and the speculation and subsequent lists start a year in advance, if not earlier - right now, people on the Goldderby forums are creating lists of who they think will get nominated for Oscars for the 2020 ceremony. And the 2019 show isn't airing for almost another 2 months.

After Ruth's movie premiered in Cannes in May 2016, she started appearing on those lists. That and Ruth/her team's decision to up her style game by working with mega stylist Karla Welch and wearing the 'right' designers like Prada on red carpets doing promo for her movie and increasing her visibility among the fashion crowd as a result is what got her the cover. Anna had months to decide to give her a cover.

It's also why Anna's snub of Julianne Moore a couple years ago was so embarrassing, on Anna's part. By the time Julianne's movie premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival, Julianne had not only been on the aforementioned lists previously but many observers considered her to be the frontrunner to win, which was only strengthened after TIFF. So again, Anna had plenty of time to put Julianne on the cover, but Anna didn't because Julianne was too old.

So while I don't believe major studios push for their stars to appear on Vogue covers for popcorn movies, if a star/her PR team wants to take their chances and request a cover to see what happens I imagine they do so, but in most cases, a Zendaya cover for Spiderman happens because Anna herself wants to put her on the cover or a Lupita cover for Black Panther happens because Lupita is a favorite of the magazine.

I do think Anna has booking directors, etc. keep their eye out who will be in the Oscar race and they create a list of potential Oscar nominees so Anna can pick and choose who to give a cover to in the fall/early winter months, though, that's my presumption anyway (in addition to stars and their PR teams pushing for covers behind the scenes). But as we all know, a star and PR rep can push all they want, but if Anna doesn't like you/thinks you're not 'Vogue' or some other b.s./thinks you're too old etc. you don't get the cover.

You're free to predict/make wishlists as you please at the end of the day.

I just personally don't find it fun to predict/wish for people to get covers who have no chance. I've become very cynical about the whole thing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->