Your Top Collections of F/W 10.11

Salvatore

Wanderlust
Reaction score
Since fashion month is over, it's time to go over your favourite collections . I did not see this thread yet, but please forgive me if it exists already . ^_^

Here are my favourites in no particular order :

Alexander McQueen - One of the smallest collections during fashion week, but a huge impact with its decadence and opulence . I loved the materials used and I was tiring of McQueen and his repetitive use of prints, but they worked here . It was not his best of all time, but definitely his best in recent years . The shoes were amazing !

Gucci - It has been a very long time since Gucci has turned up on my favourites list ... over 6 years . However, I really liked this collection Giannini prepared because I thought it was minimalistic and luxurious at the same time and that's how Gucci is supposed to be . I hope Gianinni can continue on this path since the collection for spring was not that bad either .

Gareth Pugh -I'm not normally a fan of his work because it's too much a lot of the time for me, but I thought it was really nice this time . Yes, it was Rick Owens, but I really liked a lot of the jackets and coats and the menswear was great .

Lanvin - Absolutely chic, dark, and full of glamour ! The colour palette was beautiful and rich and Alber never slacks on details . Realy nothing else to say other than that it was so beautiful !

Altuzarra - Tom Ford-esque and sexy . It was lacking a little on the craftmanship from what I could see in the pictures, but nevertheless it was a beautiful collection and the red gowns at the end were amazing in motion .

Honourable Mentions
Balenciaga
Miu Miu
Yves Saint Laurent
Burberry Prorsum
Valentino
Pedro Lourenço

Best collection:

-Lanvin

Worst collections:

-Dior
-Miu Miu
-Balenciaga (also a disappointment)
-Chloé
-Stella McCartney
-Balmain
-Viktor and Rolf
-Fendi

Disappointments:

-Loewe
-Hermès
-Chanel
-Prada

Collections that made me wonder if I was seeing a fashion show or if I was at the circus:

-Ungaro
-Valentino
-Versace

i LOOOOOVED...
Erdem- killer screen prints and matching floral combat booties!!
ADAM- just a really wonderful fall collection
Balmain- the brocade stuff was gorgeous
Dolce & Gabbana-(loved the clothes, especially Irina K's polka dot dress, and HEADPHONES <3)

NY : Marc Jacobs

London: Meadham Kirchhoff/Charles Anastase

Milan: Nothing was wow but will have to say Prada...

Paris: Dries Van Noten

Lackluster season...

The best were:
-Haider Ackermann
-Alexander McQueen
-Giambattista Valli
-Lanvin
-Elie Saab

And I never remember the other Fashion Weeks. Not ever.

is it just me or was this season really weak?
i am not in love with any collection, i feel like i've seen it all before...

except for some outfits at balenciaga, no-one has really been trying to really push the envelope this season..

maybe i'm getting old

is it just me or was this season really weak?
i am not in love with any collection, i feel like i've seen it all before...

except for some outfits at balenciaga, no-one has really been trying to really push the envelope this season..

maybe i'm getting old

No, your not the only one! It was such a let down for me this season, especially with Versace :cry:

Best:
Kenzo- i absolutely ADORE this one
Roberto Cavalli - loved every single look of this,finally Cavalli back to its roots
Emilio Pucci - even though i loved Pucci by Williamson this is so far edgier
Lanvin- alber elbaz can do no wrong :blush:

Like:
Celine
Valentino- apart from the ruffle overload..it was nice
Gucci
Alessandro dell'Acqua
Dolce&Gabbana - i liked it but it was the same of the ss

Delusion:
Chloè-always the same again and again..over and over..zzzzzzzzzzz
Balmain- i'm gettin a little bit tired
Phillip Lim
Versace- after the ss2010 wich i love, this one was just a big delusion..
Chanel-wth was that???

I really loved Marc Jacobs, Gucci, Haider Ackermann, Dries Van Noten, Giambattista Valli, Kenzo, Roberto Cavalli and Burberry Prorsum. They were not astonishing or incredible, but very nice and beautifully crafted clothes.

I agree, Tatouejermie, this was a really weak season. Fashion weeks have been being very week for at least four seasons (F/W 08 was a pretty good one) but this is just apocalyptic. :cry: I can't stop wondering where's the talent, most of the brands that were showing their collections a couple of days ago are supposed to be the best ones in the world, and they make nothing but rubish! In Lanvin there were really beautiful outfits but in general it was not as good as FW08 or SS08.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best:
Lanvin
Balenciaga
Givenchy
Donna Karan
Giambatista Valli
Versus
Valentino
Proenza Schouler
Karl Lagerfeld

Worst:
Chanel ( a few nice pieces, but overall a BIG dissapointmen)

Undecided:
Versace: after last season, I felt this was not my cup of tea, but the dresses were out of this world
Prada: Again not a great collection, but a somewhat pleasant collection
Alexander Wang: Noooooo...what happened, last season was great.
Marc Jacobs: Some pieces were nice, but nothing really stood out.
Miu Miu: I felt we have all seen this before, from the collars, to the lace, to the colors, to the embroidery.
Galliano: Mmmmm....I dunno if I liked it that much, and I usually really like his shows.
McQueen: While it was an amazing collection, nothing was really new. Overall a pleasant collection.
Dolce & Gabbana : It was basically last season collection wraped up in velvet and tuxedo jackets...nothing new.

From New York: Marc Jacobs, Jason Wu, and Michael Kors

From London: Erdem, Acquascutum, and Christopher Kane

From Milan: Prada, Roberto Cavalli, and Marni

From Paris: Louis Vuitton, Dries van Noten, Lanvin, Hermès and Yves Saint Laurent

Paris: Lanvin never disappoints. I also loved Balenciaga, Giambattista Valli, Vanessa Bruno and Dries Van Noten. The same old avant-garde designers (Haider Ackermann being my favourite). It seems that Louis Vuitton has gotten interesting again, too.
Milan: Erm...I never thought I'd say this, but I really liked Roberto Cavalli!
London: Erdem, Christopher Kane etc...they never seem to disappoint.
NYC: Rodarte! I think I've already forgotten the other designers' collections.

I was really disappointed with Miu Miu, Viktor & Rolf, Isabel Marant (second dissapointing show in a row...I hope she isn't losing her touch) and Chanel. Overall, I do think that it was quite a weak season with some surprisingly good collections.

Ah, I always love this threads after the shows ^_^ So, in order of appearance:

Marc Jacobs
Calvin Klein
Prada
Dries van Noten
Balenciaga
Lanvin
Céline
Louis Vuitton

Overall I think the season was really, really good, there were so many fantastic collections. Still biased about Miu Miu, but I won't be surprised if I come here within few weeks with an update ^_^

Great thread :flower:

By an absolute country mile, Haider Ackermann. I've been obsessing over the collection ever since I've seen it. The detailing was just immense, such beautiful lines.

Pucci was a guilty pleasure of mine, Lanvin too, and I thought Elie Saab was a surprise. I also liked Mary Katranzou as well, the prints were so eye-catching.

Disappointments (although off topic) were Ungaro (without Lohan they have NO excuse) and Mark Fast. Also Balenciaga.

Okay, here are my fave collections from the designers this season.

28mhdlw.jpg

style.com

on the minimalist side, i have haider ackermann, celine, calvin klein, balenciaga, and chanel. on the decadent side, i have balmain, antonio marras, roberto cavalli, rodarte, and lanvin. and in my gut, i have all those houses that showed us their best -- aka their roots -- that i know i'll wind up actually buying in the end like michael kors, prada, marc jacobs, fendi, and so many others.

with that said, this season, more than many others, had clear winners and losers. the effort some put into their designs and presentations simply comes through where others look like last minute haphazardness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can find something I like in pretty much everything- so, to save on some time, I'll do one from each city :smile:

The Good:

Gambiattista Valli- The sixties revival works very well for him; it was tres Parisienne, dreamy, easy, and feminine
DSquared- Never thought I'd see the day! The over the top Hitchcock vamp was a bit obvious, but they did the lipstick leather the best, and that creepy skeleton dress is worthy of it's own category
Rachel Roy- Quintessentially New York, easy, sporty, chic
Louis Goldin- She's really evolving as a designer, and I'm excited to see where she's heading!

The Better:

Alexander McQueen- As they say, "it's in the details." Perfect casting (all the glamazon tall models do wonders for the silhouettes), magical embroidery and beautiful folds, all in sixteen looks
Alberta Ferretti- She stuck to the whimsical Ferretti aesthetic but really upped the glam quotient, making for a beautiful show both on the surface and in the details
Christoper Kane- Pretty in punk, great combo of floral and leather. Too bad the shoes were horrendous
Alexander Wang- The king of hard delivered again, bringing the perfect edge to that New York casual chic

The Best:

A Parisian Tie- Louis Vuitton for shifting the fashion tide (you know what I mean), Altuzzara for the clothes, Celine for shifting it's own (brand) tide
Dolce and Gabbana- Sure, it's essentially what they've been doing for the entire year, but for some reason, this go round it was pitch perfect.
Burberry Prorsum- The coats! The details! One of Bailey's best
Donna Karan- The best version of the eighties power chick from the woman that basically invented the eighties power chick; elegant and dark

I'll do my worst/ugly list later... ^_^

I agree that this was a weak season. It was full of drama and rumours, VP vs Balenciaga, Lindsay out at Ungaro, Carine leaving Galliano, the extraordinary model castings, Coco stirring up NYFW... But that couldn't distract me from the lackluster collections. Here are the ones I liked best:

00430m.jpg

8. Prada: I don't think that I have ever liked a Prada collection impromtu except for this one. The wool was a bit frumpy at times, but I loved that it kicked off a huge trend mid-season and presented us with clothing that was both fresh and retro. Typically Prada, last season we got short shorts and little pigtails, this season we get full-on sexy busts and cut-outs.

00220m.jpg

7. Jean Paul Gaultier: Granted. It was a mess on the runway. But it always is at JPG and as he's one of my eternal favourites, I learned to appreciate the pieces one by one and this season, I loved the insane trenches with train, the full pleat skirts and prints when used with caution. I'm sure that once in stores it will fall apart into amazingness.

00190m.jpg

6. Proenza Schouler
: It might be my thorough Vogue US brainwash, but I'm a sucker for Lazaro and Jack. It think it's cool, it's wearable, they add something new each season and they have the most insane accessories. It's not runway magic and no HC, but it's solid and pretty.

00700m.jpg

5. Chanel: Not the yeti coats and fur pants obviously. But I liked the many variations of knit dresses and the incredibly lovely leather jackets. In between this mess it was solid Chanel and it struck some tone with me this season.

00200m.jpg

4. Christopher Kane
: He always has this one idea and puts it out there. As soon as he would start to have bad ideas, he would fail, but he just turns out amazing stuff all year long. Those dresses are sick.

00240m.jpg

3. Erdem: He does cute cuts with beautiful prints and tons of lace and ruffles and always looks young. Just my niche. Love him, love the Nicholas Kirkwood boots that came along with this collection.

00390m.jpg

2. Marc Jacobs
: Quiet, toned down, relaxed and elegant as can be, with the most wonderful winter pallette. I love me some Marc Jacobs, always, and this one's no exception.

00470m.jpg

1. Louis Vuitton: Only Marc can top Marc in my book. There were tons of things I liked at LV this season, bags, shoes, clothes, hair, make-up, music, models, venue, designer in a sharp suit... It was awesome.

1. Prada
2. Marc Jacobs
3. Chloe
4. Burberry Porsum
5. Calvin Klein
6. Balecniaga
7. Proenza Schouler
8. Lanvin
9. YSL
10. Donna Karan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics