Your Top Collections of F/W 10.11

I second the persons who says that this was a really weak season
nothing new, nothing really outstanding...all old trends we've seen before

Pucci: i loved it, sexy and disco...glamour
Lanvin: even though i wouldnt wear, I felt it was strong
Cavalli: really stood up

Paris was a mess, it was so weak, so out of focus
and Versace, after ss2010, which I LOVED!, this season was a very weird collection

My Predictions for Style.com's Top Ten:

Louis Vuitton- Because they are all over Marc's junk
Prada- Because it's back to being ugly on purpose
Gucci- Because it's not ugly anymore
Haider Ackerman- Because it was undeinably fantastic, politics aside
Lanvin- See Louis Vuitton; replace "Marc" with "Albert"
Balenciaga- See Louis Vuitton; replace "Marc" with "Nicolas"
Balmain- See Louis Vuitton; replace "Marc" with "Decarnin"
Donna Karan- Token New York Collection
Comme des Garcons- Because they want us to remember how avant garde and relevant they are!

Altuzarra or Alexander Wang (most likely the latter) in the "token young designer" spot

I was relooking at Kenzo last night, and (while there are some things I don't love, and it is not one of my favorite collections - I already listed those) it really is one of the best - if not the best - collections to come out of Milan this season.

First, it has a 70s vibe, but in a positive way. Second, it also goes against the grain of minimalism or 50s lady-likeism or whatever other trends and looks arose in all the cities. Third, the collection exhibits experiments with fabrics, prints and proportions in a very cool, directional way. It's a unique collection. Plus the bags, shoes and hats are good too. :flower:

00070m.jpg

00160m.jpg

00210m.jpg

00240m.jpg

00360m.jpg

Burberry Prorsum :wub:

Simply because I'd buy every single piece of it! So wearable.

It's a disappointing season if you choose to only look at and narrowly focus on the marquee designers and houses (which is what most people seem to have done). So thank you to posters like MulletProof who have a highly individual and wide-ranging point-of-view when it comes to fashion :smile:

My favorites this season include:

Haider Ackermann
Ann Demeulemeester
Dries Van Noten Mens
Giuliano Fujiwara
Oscar dela Renta
Hermes
Lanvin
Pedro Lourenco
Antonio Marras
Alexander McQueen
Rick Owens Mens
Sacai
Nicolas Andreas Taralis
Versace Mens
Sharon Wauchob
Y-3
Yohji Yamamoto
Z Zegna
Ermenegildo Zegna

And a special mention to Givenchy Pre-Fall for such a lovely capsule collection.

Pretty fantastic season, in my opinion. My only real disappointment was Junya Watanabe because he put out the best collection last season. Anyway, fall/winter 2010 isn't over for me yet. I'm still waiting for Japan Fashion Week. I do wish Takayuki Suzuki was showing, though. I most certainly feel he would be on my list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dries Van Noten
A.F. Vandevorst
Haider Ackermann
Pringle Of Scotland
Celine
Comme Des Garcon
Rundholz
Sharon Wauchob
Antonio Marras
Kenzo
Limi Feu
Yohji Yamamoto
Miu Miu
.. well kinda.

I loved:
Lanvin
Alexander McQueen
Balmain
Oscar de la Renta
Gucci
Ann Demeulemeesteer

style.com

Rag & Bone
5x3hwi.jpg
2926tcg.jpg

Donna Karan

2qu3cb8.jpg
2ypfdr4.jpg

BCBG
idzz3t.jpg
2egdugw.jpg

Toni Matcevski
imnxtx.jpg
175kjt.jpg

Michael Kors

1zwdzbk.jpg
2nrmwc3.jpg

Rodarte
351hbgo.jpg
2uiyo1u.jpg

loved the new minimalism from Paris
few fave new collections
*Celine
*Dries Van Noten
*Prada
*Junya Watanabe

biggest dissapointment
*Maison Martin Margiela

Favorites:

Christopher Kane
00020m.jpg
00160m.jpg

Absolutely stunning. When I first saw pictures of the collection, I loved it. This show is 100% Christopher Kane in its fusion of bad taste and intelligence. The needlepoint floral designs sewn on black matte and patent leather is so appealing and those little sweaters with false sleeves are so magnificent. But it wasn't until I saw a little video of the collection, and heard the gorgeous "This Bitter Earth" song playing did I truly understand and appreciate this collection. It added so much emotion to the show. All of a sudden these tough girl looks became so vulnerable and tragic. Stunning.

Dries van Noten

00020m.jpg
00350m.jpg

It is so satisfying to see such a realistic, yet thoughtful and considered collection. Dries has such a talent at combining desirable and easy clothes with drama, romance and soul. And the clothes weren't the only part that was perfect - stunning setting, the "Vertigo" soundtrack was magnificent, gorgeous hair and make up, perfect sunglasses...and big purses carried like clutches. Just an all around wonderful show.

Givenchy
00060m.jpg
00190m.jpg

Riccardo's best Givenchy collection in a couple of years. Tim Blanks said it best in the style.com video when he said he felt the collection benefited from the lack of Catholicism. So true. So true. When Tisci first started at Givenchy, the Catholic influence was perfect...it was tortured and poetic. Recently, though, it had become too tongue in cheek and glossy. So to see him move into a slightly different territory was refreshing and rewarding. The mix of scuba and ski was brilliant in the hands of Riccardo (and those alpine sweaters were so erotic in such a strange way!). The red, black and white lace was used perfectly, and the attention to detail was impressive - embroidered gloves and clutches, glitter red lips, ribbons tied around the model's neck and hair...all so beautiful.

Jil Sander
00020m.jpg
00220m.jpg

I love everything Raf does with the house of Jil Sander, I really do. I find his vision of minimalism so riveting. His sharp precision tailoring is awe-inspiring. And this season was perfect. Firstly, I adore the X runway and the choreography it entailed, I am obsessed with the "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" soundtrack and the context it gave the clothes...the flat boots are magnificent, and I want a pair...I don't know...I know many thought this was one of Simon's weaker collections for Jil Sander, but I really responded to it strongly.

Honorable Mentions:
Giles - Great collection, great casting, great styling...his best collection in a long time.
Hussein Chalayan - I know its fairly commercial for Chalayan, but even when he puts on such a wearable collection, the thought and care put into is still infectious.
John Galliano - the first Galliano collection in a long time to feel REALLY Galliano. And the hair and make up is incredible.
Lanvin - Even though its nothing new from Alber for Lanvin, it's just so good that you can't really be bothered by the fact that this collection is so similar to his previous ones.
Marc Jacobs - The show felt so sincere and genuine...reminded me of his masterpiece: Fall/Winter 2006.
Louis Vuitton - So chic.
Maison Martin Margiela - I absolutely loved the fox hunt inspiration of the collection...the sharp, red coats, riding boots, and then those big Davey Crockett fur hats!
Prada/Miu Miu - Because when have I ever disliked Miuccia????

Dries van Noten was the only show that I found myself absolutely impressed by. Agree with everything that dior_couture said. I think he offered up something totally refreshing and new but also something that worked in a very literal, wearable way. It was a bit of a fantasy, but a fantasy that will seamlessly translate to the streets. Plus I absolutely adored what he did with the season's military trend: attaching the sleeves of military shirts to gorgeous beaded and printed tops and vice versa. The shapes, proportions, and color palette perfectly were excellent and the tailoring and cut was spot on. I can't say enough good things about it.

Marc Jacobs and Erdem are up there on my list but I don't think either were flawless. I'm siding with the majority of people and saying the season was pretty lack luster. I wasn't impressed with many of the shows. They all seemed to recycle ideas and didn't offer anything new to fashion, just their own house. Que sera...here's hoping next season is far better.

Nothing totally wowed me but I was impressed by:

A.F.Vandevorst
Haider Ackerman
Louise Goldin
Celine
Lanvin
Sharon Wauchob
Proenza Schouler
ADAM
Giuliano Fujiwara
Ann Demeulemeester
Antonio Marras

Ma top 5 collections:

5. DONNA KARAN: Really digging the "unfussyness" of this collection. She definitely stands apart with her austere and refined sleekness from the other NY designers with their mix-n-match and mishmash sensibilities. Her balance of relaxed elegance and architectural forms creates wearability-- how amazing is that...

4. PRADA: Maybe not Miuccia at her best-- but even that means she's way ahead of most everyone else. Classic Prada: Quirky patterns, amazing color-palette, and that supreme sense of "offness" I love about Prada. It's 90's Prada-- but with a 60's sensibility.

3. LANVIN: Love the "tranny" comment in reference to the dark wigs... But like some, I see the strong spirit of the Helmut Newton women, and yeah, definitely, the chick in the George Michael "Father Figure" video.
Supremely luxurious, decadent, sexy, dark and wearable. Timeless and classic too, to boot.

2. ALEXANDER McQUEEN: Achingly baroque and painfully romantic. Those 16 finale pieces are classic McQueen. And combined with the prefall pieces, It's definitely a solid collection. I can only dream to glimpse how the entire collection would have been presented had the Genius himself touched it in the final hour. Thank you one last time for sharing your Brilliance, Lee.

1. DRIES VAN NOTEN: This gentleman won me over with his regal, elegant, relaxed and bluntly beautiful vision of women. No gimmicks, nothing severe, nothing revolutionary, nothing theatric-- just straightforward awesome pieces to make women beautiful. Dig it.

a lot of great collections this season.
My most favorite were Christina Dior, Gabriele Colangelo and Giambattista Valli

other names that need to be mentioned in no order - it's too dificult to put them in order!:
kenzo
Salvatorre Ferragamo
Haider Ackerman
Rag and Bone
Burberry
Bottega Veneta
Ralph Lauren
All from Marc Jacobs
Dries Van Noten

NOT Chanel.

Other than that this season I haven't paid real close attention to. I mean there was some collections I looked at but most of the time not in that great detail to give a valid reasons more on a quick glance and first impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a bad boy when it comes to following fashion this season. Beyonce should feed me a burrito.

In no particular order:
Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti
Marc Jacobs
Max Azria
Matthew Williamson
Pucci
Moschino
Salvatore Ferragamo
Alexander McQueen
Lanvin
Rick Owens

Fav: