Your Top Collections of S/S 2011

Psylocke

Reaction score
Is it too early for this or why don't we have a thread like this yet? I hope it's ok to start one!

I'll start off with my own picks!

I actually thought this was a great season and I especially liked many New York and Paris collections. My personal Top 10 favorite collections are:

1. Haider Ackermann, Paris

haiderackermann1.jpg
haiderackermann2.jpg

style.com

Everything in this collection was just perfect. I loved the colors, the fabrics, the cuts. A breathtakingly beautiful collection and my favorite by far!

2. L’Eclisse, NY

eclisse1.jpg
eclisse2.jpg

wwd.com

I just love everything leather and I thought the concept of this collection was great. Considering this was their very first collection my hopes are high for the future of this brand.

3. Alexander McQueen

alexandermcqueen1.jpg
alexandermcqueen2.jpg

style.com

Sarah did an amazing job and put out an amazing collection. The shoes alone are reason enough for this collection to be among my favorites!

4. Theysken’s Theory, NY

stheory2.jpg

style.com

Just love this! I want every single piece of this collection.

5. Julien Macdonald, London

julienmacdonald2.jpg

style.com

He's becoming one of my favorite designers, I just love how delicate and feminine his dresses are.

6. Nicolas Andreas Taralis, Paris

nicolasandreastaralis1.jpg
nicolasandreastaralis2.jpg

style.com

Very Rick Owens / Ann D, but I loved every piece here, so this deserves to be in my Top 10.

7. Rick Owens, Paris

rickowens2.jpg

style.com

Another great collection from Rick Owens. Love it!

8. Gary Graham, NY

garygraham2.jpg
garygraham3.jpg

style.com

The clothes are nice, but the shoes I'm obsessed with!

9. Yohji Yamamoto, Paris

yohjiyamamoto2.jpg

style.com

I'll never get tired of a good high fashion gothic collection.

10. Rodarte, NY

rodarte1.jpg

style.com

This collection was a lovely surprise! Didn't expect them to finally live up to the hype, but everything was just wonderful here.

Honorable mentions would be:
11. Y-3, NY
12. Mary Katrantzou, London
13. Proenza Schouler, NY
14. Chanel, Paris
15. RAD by Rad Hourani, NY
16. Missoni, Milan
17. 3.1 Phillip Lim, NY
18. Juan Carlos Obando, NY
19. Hermès, Paris
20. Balmain, Paris

Now everyone post your favorites!

NYFW
Jason Wu
DKNY
Carolina Herrera
Marc Jacobs
Michael Kors

LFW
David Koma
Matthew Williamson
Burberry

MFW
Gucci
Prada
Versace
Gianfranco Ferre
Dolce & Gabanna
Ferragamo

PFW
Celine
Alexander McQueen
Yves Saint Laurent
Martin Grant
Elie Saab

Mary Katranzou was my absolute favourite followed by Alexander McQueen, Erdem, Haider Ackermann and Hussein Chalayan. Also really liked Theysken's Theory and Miu Miu.

I was a little disappointed with Rodarte and Lanvin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this season was a rather good one. There were a lot of good collections. Unlike last season, I have a very good idea of which shows were my favourites and which ones I didn't like. My top 10:

1. Chanel
2. Lanvin
3. Dolce & Gabbana
4. Yves Saint Laurent
5. Matthew Williamson
6. Alexander McQueen
7. Elie Saab
8. Gucci
9. Hermes
10. Versace

in no particular order

Yohji Yamamoto, paris
John Galliano, paris
Alexander McQueen, paris
Miu Miu, paris
Rick Owens, paris
Rodarte, new york
Phillip Lim, new york

1. Prada

00270m.jpg
00370m.jpg

2. Proenza Schouler

00240m.jpg
00320m.jpg

3. Altuzarra

00050m.jpg
00260m.jpg

4. Versace

00270m.jpg
00070m.jpg

5. Balenciaga

00150m.jpg
00370m.jpg

6. Cushine Et Ochs

00190m.jpg
00380m.jpg

7. Miu Miu

00350m.jpg
00190m.jpg

style.com

8. Derek Lam

00080m.jpg
00360m.jpg

9. Balmain :shock::blink:

00060m.jpg
00280m.jpg

10. Yves Saint Laurent

00040m.jpg
00020m.jpg

style.com

I found this season rather disappointing, but then again, I seem to find every season disappointing. Nothing truly excites me anymore, except for the wrong reasons. Still there were, as always, some I truly liked and most of them in London. In alphabetical order:

1. Chanel

00180m.jpg
00670m.jpg

Sometimes even I get tired with always loving what the Kaiser does. It's the same every season I tell myself, but really it isn't and even if it is to some extent, I always wanna wear it. He puts out clothing that will make you feel beautiful and he manages to translate anything into elegance an style. God only knows what we'd be without you, Karl.

2. Erdem

00080m.jpg
00200m.jpg

I could practically post every dress from that collection. Erdem is my designer. He does everything I like in a dress and he does it to perfection while always adding a sense of modern and modest to his clothing. He cuts flattering and even though he always uses the same ingredients, he never bores me.

3. Jonathan Saunders

00160m.jpg
00290m.jpg

What a deliciously coloured, perfectly cut collection. The shapes were simple and the candy hues just my taste. So effing wearable, fresh, summery and grown-up, I wanna buy each dress from the collection. It feels perfect for my first English spring.

4. Marc Jacobs

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

00380m.jpg
00460m.jpg

I love Marc and he makes the best jackets in the world. This spring the pallette he offered won me over and the many loose, comfortable dresses, the city-summer-seventies vibe that seems so easy and uncomplicated. I would notwear everything from this collection, not the shorts and some of the tent dresses were terrible, but overall the concept is charming and as long as he doesn't do giraffe pantsuits, Marc is always in my heart.

5. Mary Katrantzou

00040m.jpg
00130m.jpg

Crazy prints were big for spring, but that's the only way I'd wear them. Yeah, there are rooms on the dresses. Still they don't look like a bad joke *coughpradacoughvuittoncough*. They look like attractive geometrics and lovely florals, they're witty and the cuts are simple and girly at the same time. Give me one of the soft pink ones, please.

Stuff I liked here and there:

- Christian Dior, surprisingly enough. There was some cuteness in between the usual borefest.
- Chloé had pretty white bowed dresses.
- Julian Macdonald, even though his dresses would make any woman wearing them look like their taking a very expansive walk of shame, they were still beautiful in their out of bed glory.
- I'd never thought I'd ever say that but between the sacks and tents there were nice things at Jil Sander (!!!)

Bad, bad, bad stuff:

- Prada was such a let-down. She only got away with that because she's Prada. Same applies to Louis Vuitton.
- Balmain was an insult.
- Dolce & Gabbana was ridiculously repetitive. I miss the times when the had silly themes and were tacky.
- Even though I love him, the word overkill should also appear in the lexicon of Mr Jean-Paul Gaultier.

all pictures credit style.com

Vaguely in order...

Gareth Pugh
AF Vandevorst
Haider Ackermann
Alexander McQueen
Lanvin
Hermes
Theysken's Theory

Honorable mentions:
Ann Demeulmeester
Rick Owens
Erdem

In no order -

McQueen
Lanvin
Miu Miu
Erdem
Chanel
YSL
Givenchy
Prada
Gianfranco Ferre
Marc by Marc Jacobs

Overall this season has been a major let down. London was fantastic but New York was a snooze and Milan and Paris were only so-so.

I was looking forward to this thread.

Overall throughly disappointed this season. Fashion is in a total rut at the moment. Galliano is over, Pugh is doing video presentations and Mcqueen... so very very sad. Guesquiere and Jacobs have done little to excite me for seasons, and I wasn't even that wowed by Lagerfeld. New York and Milan were terribly week. Paris was all over the place, and London was far to short.

NYFW
Alexander Wang

LFW
Matthew Williamson
Burberry Prorsum
Giles
Clements Ribeiro

MFW
Prada

PFW
Chanel
Gareth Pugh

But really quite lack-lustre this season.

This whole season I've been waiting for a collection to catch me off guard, in a good way through prints, texture, cuts, wearability, irony, or just simply beauty. But it didn't happen, although some of these collections came close:

AF VANDEVORST After last season, I knew that they knew how to use the color red and this season chain mail...so incredible, luxurious, and...I don't think I've ever described AF like this but...sexy.
af1q.jpg
af2x.jpg
af3p.jpg

Proenza Schouler All the hype, all the time. But I think they deserve it, at least for this collection.
ps1a.jpg
ps2qx.jpg

Comme des Garcons I have to go back and look at each and every outfit more than once, something I haven't done with CdG in a while.
cdg1.jpg
cdg2.jpg

Mary Katrantzou The lamp dresses! Even with the humor, there were alot of pieces that were utterly wearable.

mk1z.jpg
mk2w.jpg
mk3w.jpg

Gareth Pugh I've never tried to like him, he's just rubbed me the wrong way. Finally, he's made something that is interesting yet wearable.
gp1m.jpg
gp2.jpg

Honorable mentions: Haider, Rodarte, Rick Owens, Erdem, Theory, Yohji, Francesco Scognamiglio, Marc Jacobs.

Disappointments: Givenchy, Gianfranco Ferre, Miu Miu, N*21 Dell'acqua.

style.com

NYFW
Theory
Rodarte

LONDON
Basso & Brooke
Erdem
Mary Katrantzou

MILAN
Prada

PARIS
Lanvin
Givenchy
McQueen
Haider Ackermann

New York-Marc Jacobs (certain pieces)
Narciso Rodriguez

Paris-Yohji Yamamoto

Milan-Alberta Ferretti

Marc Jacobs,
LV,
Alexander McQueen,
Fendi,
Lanvin,
Hermes.

There may have been others, but they're the ones that readily spring to mind and with most of the others, I think I mainly enjoyed elements, rather than the collection as a whole.

If the materials and colours had been a bit better, YSL would have probably been up there, as well.

haider ackerman, todd lynn, rick owens, theory, and gareth pugh

Altuzarra, Ann Demeulemeester, Hussein Chalayan, Jil Sander, Nicolas Andreas Taralis, Proenza Schouler Rick Owens, Yigal Azrouël and Yohji Yamamoto
maybe Acne and RAD by Rad Hourani as well..

this is how you can tell it's a good season. there exist so many collections to love for really so many different reasons. i have my personal favorites -- michael kors and emporio armani -- because i already have purchases in mind. but from a fashion junkie perspective, there is just so much. at the top, of course, there's haider ackermann. he continues to operate in a league almost of his own.

then, we have houses like alexander mcqueen, dolce and gabbana, chanel, and hermes that one just has to applaud because of the "instant classic" nature of them. and then you have some great "outsider" collections like balmain, balenciaga, miu miu, and burberry that gave us great one-offs that really have so little to do with the moment, but relevant because of who they are. and then, on a completely different tip, you have those designers whose collections didn't rise to the absolute top but who's accessories certainly did like fendi, dior, ysl, vuitton.

now, with that out of the way, my fashion for fashion's sake favorites of the season:

1. proenza schouler for the return of the ladylike and the introduction of neon.

00320h.jpg

2. prabal garung for that svelte silhouette and that juicy palette

00040h.jpg

3. christopher kane for unexpected lace and gorgeous prints

00210h.jpg

4. jonathan saunders for his continued use of color and beautiful separates

00030h.jpg

5. jil sander for a new definition of minimalism and the sharpest suiting all season

00260h.jpg

6. prada for giving us something playful, enigmatic, and bold at once.

00200h.jpg

7. celine for tossing us the unexpected but maintaining the spirit of austerity.

00060h.jpg

8. lanvin for showing that one can be zipped up and let it all hang out....gorgeously.

00270h.jpg

(all photos from style.it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->