Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche F/W 2003.04 Paris

16h9jt2.jpg
14acyt5.jpg

104nv2d.jpg
1zz3ynl.jpg

style.it

helmut.newton you made my day!!! this is definitely one of my all time favorite collection!

i just love how each girl has a different look :blush:

the hair, make up was beautiful!!! and the clothes are gorgeous. i love how tom ford played with the idea of lingerie!

and the music!!! fantastic! i have the mp3 of it i got it from mrwilsondj :D

thanks for posting this!!! :flower:

This was tom fords rendition of YSL 1971 collection 40 which turned the fashion world upside down. I would like to see how Pilati would interpret this collection as an influence

a woman could wear most of these pieces this fall and STILL not look dated.

and that mix of girls! not the same boring "one tall blonde after another". each girl looks different, IS different.

helmut.newton you made my day!!! this is definitely one of my all time favorite collection!

i just love how each girl has a different look :blush:

the hair, make up was beautiful!!! and the clothes are gorgeous. i love how tom ford played with the idea of lingerie!

and the music!!! fantastic! i have the mp3 of it i got it from mrwilsondj :D

thanks for posting this!!! :flower:

^_^:blush::flower: I got inspired from looking at Tom Ford's book.

Do you still have this soundtrack? Could you post it online?! :woot::flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot get over how relevant these clothes are. The shrunken tux jacket over leather leggings on Liya could be shown next week and still have editors salivating. Or the lace dresses under biker jackets.

This is one of my favorite Tom Ford YSL shows, if not my favorite. I remember the video from high school and seeing Hannah walk in the black chiffon l/s gown with the lucite choker and thinking she was the most glamorous thing I have ever seen.

Liya, Carmen and Karen were my YSL dream team.

Tom Ford said this collection was inspired by the movie The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972)...

^^^ Tom’s design aesthetic has always been deeply cinematic: He tells a story and builds upon the existing lifestyle with every collection and its campaign. And this was all before showcasing what an impressive filmmaker he proved to be. I still enjoy his current efforts, just that the storyteller has left the building because why bother in these banal times?

The YSL revamps from Tom to Anthony has been the strongest of any label. There's clearly a difference of style and creative aesthetic of course (and even Juergen’s efforts look decent), but it’s been consistently and confidently one that’s true to HF worldbuilding/dreammaking and always never forgets its world of exclusive, luxurious decadence. Even when someone like Collier was tapped to shoot the campaign, that brand of smoulder and feminine allure was never abandoned, with Collier producing one of her strongest— and my current fav HF imagery in the form of Mica slithering in those cheeky stiletto roller-skates.

Still a fabulous collection and it’s rare to be mentioned but even the shoes are still relevant. There’s something very interesting about his work at YSL and how it has remained relevant. Most of the pieces I have from his time at YSL (except for his first 3 runway collections...) feels very eveningwear now.
It had a very sophisticated vibe but I feel like a decade ago, we dressed up more during daytime.

^^^ Tom’s design aesthetic has always been deeply cinematic: He tells a story and builds upon the existing lifestyle with every collection and its campaign. And this was all before showcasing what an impressive filmmaker he proved to be. I still enjoy his current efforts, just that the storyteller has left the building because why bother in these banal times?

The YSL revamps from Tom to Anthony has been the strongest of any label. There's clearly a difference of style and creative aesthetic of course (and even Juergen’s efforts look decent), but it’s been consistently and confidently one that’s true to HF worldbuilding/dreammaking and always never forgets its world of exclusive, luxurious decadence. Even when someone like Collier was tapped to shoot the campaign, that brand of smoulder and feminine allure was never abandoned, with Collier producing one of her strongest— and my current fav HF imagery in the form of Mica slithering in those cheeky stiletto roller-skates.

What was also great about Tom at the time was that he really felt the need to prove himself with YSL. He was ambitious and set the standard for himself very hard. His ambition was to have YSL at the level of Chanel...
Yes, today it’s obvious but in the early 00’s the house was beyond damaged with all the licensing. He pushed himself with the designs, the attention to details and the use of fabrics was beyond! Silk, Satin, chiffon, velvet and lace... He really went for it!

The stores were stunning, the ads were perfect. The season after he even had real diamonds on the runway show.

It was totally ostentatious but done in a classy way.

I still loves Tom but I feel like I like the idea of the Tom Ford woman more than the reality in terms of clothes. I still wears a lot of his YSL/Gucci stuff but I don’t have the same passion for the pieces of his own line (except the bags and the pieces from SS 2015).

^^^ I suspect it’s a combination of having reached his creative peak, and also the adamancy of being a globally successful brand and an acclaimed filmmaker— mix in working at a time when such creative provocations and rich complexities of design are dismissed as ostentatious and exclusive (once the foundation of HF but is now looked upon as dirty words), that has visionaries like him and Nick Knight just making the minimal effort to be down with the lessers. For people that grew up at a time when aspiring to be the best that you could be and always pushing further and harder to accomplish that, the standards will always be set impossibly high-- as it should be so. Verses today when it’s just “you’re good enough as you are (so don’t push yourself any harder)”, which is fine for a poster hanging in a high school to encourage self-esteem amongst the most insecure and needy of people, but absolutely a depressing surrender of high concept creativity in the fashion industry.

Frankly, I’m looking way way way more forward to Tom's next film than his next collection.

I still loves Tom but I feel like I like the idea of the Tom Ford woman more than the reality in terms of clothes. I still wears a lot of his YSL/Gucci stuff but I don’t have the same passion for the pieces of his own line (except the bags and the pieces from SS 2015).

Absolutely. The fashion experience and indulgence for me these days is also largely about searching and finding those older pieces from Helmut, Dries, Christopher’s Burberry Prorsum— altering the ones I have of theirs to my liking. Don’t need Vogue who’s really all about excess and spending on unneeded things or Miuccia who produces 12 collections a year telling me about sustainability… I always wonder what is there to inspire and aspire to in HF when the looks are so dowdy and common these days? I suppose flexing and looking like fashion cartoon Edwina Monsoon, or Adventure Time cartoon Billie Eilish is all kids have these days (she’s 18 but dresses like a 10yo…:sigh:...) And that’s not a HF experience.

^^^ I suspect it’s a combination of having reached his creative peak, and also the adamancy of being a globally successful brand and an acclaimed filmmaker— mix in working at a time when such creative provocations and rich complexities of design are dismissed as ostentatious and exclusive (once the foundation of HF but is now looked upon as dirty words), that has visionaries like him and Nick Knight just making the minimal effort to be down with the lessers. For people that grew up at a time when aspiring to be the best that you could be and always pushing further and harder to accomplish that, the standards will always be set impossibly high-- as it should be so. Verses today when it’s just “you’re good enough as you are (so don’t push yourself any harder)”, which is fine for a poster hanging in a high school to encourage self-esteem amongst the most insecure and needy of people, but absolutely a depressing surrender of high concept creativity in the fashion industry.

Frankly, I’m looking way way way more forward to Tom's next film than his next collection.

But you know what, I don’t mind the fact that he has reached his creative peak. I’m not attached to the past. Yes, there’s this nostalgia about that era but I can still watch the shows on YouTube, wear or search for archives pieces that I love. The problem for me is that I don’t necessarly connect with the idea of a woman he is designing for...If he has any idea.

I love his menswear and seeing men in Tom Ford because you get right away who he is designing for. Men who wears Tom Ford are dedicated to the aesthetic! You see them in certain areas at their jobs wearing his suits and looking great...Far from the LA fantasy of middle aged men in dinner jackets lol.

I’m an active woman and yes, the quality of his clothes is perfect and he is the king of tailoring and a timeless backless black dress but I hate that « Hollywood air » around his current offering because it kills creativity and influenced a certain conformism. Do we need another sequined column dress with long sleeves? I ordered the orange satin coat from his SS20 collection but was really the only fresh and desirable proposition from the runway collection. The breast plates are beyond 20000€... And as beautifully made as the jersey dresses were made, there are disposable.

I’ll use Ghesquiere as an example. I adored his stuff at Balenciaga and I’m still faithful to him at Vuitton. I totally understand that he has moved on and that maybe Balenciaga was his creative peak. His Vuitton is maybe less impressive and the experimentation in fabrics is less spectacular but he still does very beautiful clothes. The majority of his clothes at Vuitton are close in prices to the Commercial versions of the runway collections at Balenciaga.

In his films, his vision is clear! Amy Adams is the Tom Ford woman...I want an elevated version of that...Not nappa leather tennis shorts worn with a satin jacket. But he is kinda dictated by what is selling and his column dresses are selling...

I miss Tom Ford´s magic at Gucci and YSL...
10.jpg

Last edited:
Anna-Dello-Russo-by-Tommy-Ton-24.jpg

yslcherry3.jpg

Anna Dello Russo loves them as hell...She has worn it for multiple times! Photo by Tommy Ton.

But you know what, I don’t mind the fact that he has reached his creative peak. I’m not attached to the past. Yes, there’s this nostalgia about that era but I can still watch the shows on YouTube, wear or search for archives pieces that I love. The problem for me is that I don’t necessarly connect with the idea of a woman he is designing for...If he has any idea.

I love his menswear and seeing men in Tom Ford because you get right away who he is designing for. Men who wears Tom Ford are dedicated to the aesthetic! You see them in certain areas at their jobs wearing his suits and looking great...Far from the LA fantasy of middle aged men in dinner jackets lol.

I’m an active woman and yes, the quality of his clothes is perfect and he is the king of tailoring and a timeless backless black dress but I hate that « Hollywood air » around his current offering because it kills creativity and influenced a certain conformism. Do we need another sequined column dress with long sleeves? I ordered the orange satin coat from his SS20 collection but was really the only fresh and desirable proposition from the runway collection. The breast plates are beyond 20000€... And as beautifully made as the jersey dresses were made, there are disposable.

I’ll use Ghesquiere as an example. I adored his stuff at Balenciaga and I’m still faithful to him at Vuitton. I totally understand that he has moved on and that maybe Balenciaga was his creative peak. His Vuitton is maybe less impressive and the experimentation in fabrics is less spectacular but he still does very beautiful clothes. The majority of his clothes at Vuitton are close in prices to the Commercial versions of the runway collections at Balenciaga.

In his films, his vision is clear! Amy Adams is the Tom Ford woman...I want an elevated version of that...Not nappa leather tennis shorts worn with a satin jacket. But he is kinda dictated by what is selling and his column dresses are selling...

His Tom Ford men from the very start, instantly reminded me of Oswald Boateng (not that Oswald owns that brand of modern, funky, bespoke tailoring, just that Tom’s more modern sartorial offering is in the same plane as Oswald’s). Tom's has more flair and his men’s branding is consistently that of a Studio 54 Yves Saint Laurent archetype, and the always-reliable bespoke-branding of his menswear is much easier to evolve from Season-to-Season than for his women’s trajectory: Glad he was wise enough to never try to relive his Gucci days.

It would be a dream if his womenswear was more like his men’s in how consistent it is. Unfortunately, it can be too random— and the Hollywood/rich West Coast housewife vibe— even if she may be from the Dubai, Moscow or Hong Kong (who lives for those sequin pieces— especially when they’re in black and gold and red LOL Tom knows his clientele), offers more options thus financially more profitable than a Bianca Jagger archetype to accompany his Studio 54 Yves-man. The Tom Ford brand is now too self-aware in adapting to his clientele rather than have the clientele adapting to a very specific style, like when he was with Gucci and YSL.

(Sorry for straying from this YSL collection. Just that it’s hard to talk about Tom without referencing his other accomplishments/works.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theaucourant
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->