Yves Saint Laurent . YSL Multimedia

Can someone sort of give a somewhat in-depth description of what Rive Gauche and le smoking are exactly. Famous YSL collections?

Don't shoot me for asking haha

I'm not sure about the Rive Gauche, but I just looked up le smoking and it's a tuxedo suit that Saint Laurent created.

From Wikipedia:
Created in 1966 by famous couturier Yves Saint Laurent, the Le Smoking tuxedo suit for women was the first of its kind to earn attention in the fashion world and in popular culture. It pioneered long, minimalist, androgynous styles for women, as well as the use of power suits and the pantsuit in modern-day society. Fashion photography echoes the influence of this suit in shoots that feature androgynous models with slicked-back hair in a mannish three-piece suit, a style that was first popularised in photographs by Helmut Newton. Yves Saint-Laurent was seen by many as having empowered women by giving them the option to wear clothes that were normally worn by men with influence and power.

This suit has continued to influence fashion designers' collections through the 2000s

OK, I'll take a shot.

"Le Smoking" does not just refer to a woman's tuxedo suit. Its first incarnation in 1966 was indeed a woman's tuxedo suit, but it has taken on the guise of a blue-gray jumpsuit, a tuxedo dress, velvet knickerbockers, a toreador's outfit, and so on. You can look at earlier posts in this thread to see photos of all the Smokings. There was also an exhibit called "Smoking Forever," which you can find at ysl-hautecouture.com.

One "Smoking" outfit was designed every season for the YSL haute couture collection, but "Le Smoking" is more of a concept than an actual garment. It's meant to bridge masculine and feminine clothing, giving women access to the freedom and options of men.

There is a famous 1968 story of Nan Kempner being denied service at the La Cote Basque restaurant for wearing the first Le Smoking (trousers were not considered proper dinner attire for a lady back then). Upon hearing this, she promptly dropped her pants and dined wearing only the tuxedo jacket cum mini-dress.

"Rive Gauche" refers to the "Left Bank" of the Seine River in Paris. Historically, the Left Bank—which includes boulevards Saint-Germaine and Saint-Michel, as well as the Latin Quarter—was home to artists, writers, eccentrics, students, etc. (Picasso, Matisse, Hemingway, Sartre, Camus, de Beauvoir).

On the other hand, the "Rive Droite" was the stomping ground of the privileged (Champs Elysees, Place Vendome, etc.).

YSL Rive Gauche is the name of YSL's ready-to-wear line, launched in 1966. There was already a trend toward youth as purveyors of fashion (brought on by the successes of fashion designers in London). Two years later, Paris had its famous student riots, which cemented society and haute couture as passe. YSL rode this wave by capitalizing on the "Rive Gauche" name and identity.

So, the Rive Gauche/Rive Droite distinction is geographical, socio-economic, and aesthetic. And it was not just in fashion, but also fields like film, when Left Bankers (Alain Resnais, Chris Marker, and Agnes Varda) were distinguished from the Right-Bank faction (Jean-Luc Godard, Truffaut, and the rest of the Cahiers du Cinema).

Hope this answers your questions.

New Nan Kempner exhibit at YSL Foundation
(photos: ysl-hautecouture.com)

Nan Kempner, Muse and Patron
by Pierre Berge

Nan Kempner was faithful to Saint Laurent as a woman is faithful to her lover. As such her relationship with fashion went far beyond that of other women.

Fashion played an essential role in her life. Let us not be mistaken: it was not a question of money but of an intimate relationship she had elevated into a mutual passion. Like Madame von Mecks with Tchaikovsky, she was both muse and patron. A patron of creation. Hers was a unique way of dialoguing with couturiers.

She did not merely wear clothes, she sported the very personality that had influenced their creation. With Yves Saint Laurent in particular, she was successively Natasha Rostov, Anna Karenina and the Duchess of Guermantes.

She played all these characters with exceptional talent. She demonstrated, better than anyone else, that true elegance is the result of the mysterious alchemy that exists between a dress and the woman that wears it.

Attachments

• nan1.jpg
    nan1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 11
thanks for all the great pics and video's!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks tylw:flower:, here what Stefano Pilati said about Yves from an interview with Tthe UK Times:

Yves Saint Laurent’s legacy affects me in a good way. What a great heritage. I do eight collections a year for the house, so I think it is legitimate to take inspiration from his work. When I was at Prada we looked to Yves, so why not when I am here? The archives are amazing; if I could have a bed there and sleep on it every night, I would be happy for the rest of my life. You open an armoire and out pops a taffeta skirt, then there are all the boleros, the multicoloured furs and the velvets. You go there and you want to bend down on your knees; you are blown away. You feel the grandeur of the man; you feel how prolific he was.

to read the rest of the article check Stefano's thread:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f60/stefano-pilati-article-34861-2.html#post3606375

Former model, Katoucha, missing in Paris

French police and authorities are still searching for a former Guinean model who disappeared between late Friday night and early Saturday from her home on the river.

Former couture muse of Yves Saint Laurent, Katoucha, 47, was reported missing Monday after her relatives hadn't heard or seen from her.

The mother-of-three was last dropped off Friday night near a houseboat docked next to hers on a central stretch of the River Seine in Paris near the picturesque Alexandre III bridge.

The French media reported that Katoucha, who is near-sighted and cannot swim, was drunk and not wearing her contact lenses on the night of her disappearance.

Her handbag containing her cell phone, credit card and glasses was found the next morning by her landlord's son near the entrance to the boat.

Divers searched for the model's body on Wednesday as authorities are not ruling out a fatal accident or suicide.

Katoucha, nicknamed the "black princess," prowled the runways of the world's greatest designers.

In 1994, the model left the catwalk for good and made headlines the years following when she launched a foundation against the practise of female circumcision.

She recently published a book, "In My Flesh", sharing the gruesome experience of her circumcision in Guinea when she was nine years old.

http://www.imj-online.com/journal.ph...9&journalId=19

^this thread's actually for the original YSL, but thanks anyways. i think there must be a pilati thread.

ah! I tried searching for other YSL threads but they are all simply for collections. My apologies.

pictures from inside the archives (cafe mode)....

2549585927_8911ab3ff9_o.jpg

Foundation Pierre Berge YSL

Carine Roitfeld's Homage to YSL
vogue.fr

roitfeld.jpg

Francois Pinault & Francois Henri Pinault's homage
vogue.fr

pinault.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members