Cathy Horyn on the perils of succeeding Saint Laurent

I agree dior, I think Pilati is great for YSL. These editors are insane sometimes. If Pilati straight up copied the YSL archive with updated fabrics and different colors he would get chopped up for being TOO YSL and not moving it forward. If he pulls back, it becomes not enough, too complicated, too difficult, whatever excuse they feel like coming up with. How can an editor tell one designer to be like another designer? Rude...

00020m.jpg
00130m.jpg
00030m.jpg
00040m.jpg
00070m.jpg

Doir Homme fall 2006

if that's not ysl enough....

i think he's not right for ysl because everything else was pure slimane, (as a butler!)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys, we already have a thread on the "does the shoes fit?" article...
i've merged the threads accordingly.:flower:

I feel that whoever work under YSL riens , will survive because of the powerful base of YSL.

Personally, I think Pilati needs to start putting his heart and soul into YSL. He needs to recreate it and completely make it his own. He needs to turn it into something he will be remembered for (in the positive sense). He needs to stop trying to impress the critics just because he feels that for so long he hasn't, and most importantly, he needs to completely disregard the fact that Saint Laurent is still around. He was appointed head designers for a reason, he needs to take advantage of this position and make a difference for the better at YSL.

His lack of self-confidence saddens me as I feel that he is a talented man. He's been fed (for too long) that he has these limits and etc etc. He only has limits if he gives himself these limits. It is a designers JOB to disregard a critics opinion if he truly feels that what he is doing for his line is the RIGHT way to go. This is what YSL himself did while at Dior, the outcome wasn’t great initially with him being fired but it worked out in the end and from it came a line I cannot see the fashion world without – Yves Saint Laurent. His designs, initially deemed shocking/rebellious and the reason he was fired were later copied by Mark Bohen for Dior after they had caught on.

You need to stay true to your beliefs, if you cannot do this, designing isn’t the job for you. Instead of going into the creation of a line with the mind-set of "Okay, what can I do to IMPRESS these god forsaken critics/editors?” he needs to go into it thinking "Alright, how can I recreate YSL THIS season? How can I translate my hearts belief of what YSL is to me, into something in the physical sense? How can I put it all on paper?". With this mind-set should come an unforgettable line. Fashion isn't about perfection. If it was, I would have lost interest a long time ago.

taz said:
I feel that whoever work under YSL riens , will survive because of the powerful base of YSL.

They should be able to survive because of their powerful collections. To survive solely because you’re riding the YSL wave, isn’t how it should be done.

This is not how
Saint Laurent should be represented per season alongside *gasp* lines like Dior. To think, Galliano is doing better for a line than Pilati… it’s just… sad.

It's so frustrating.

Stefano Pilati is nor the right person for Yves Saint Laurent.
Everybody knows this but doesn't say it upload.

If there was no Tom ford,previously at YSL,there would no be Yves Saint Laurent at all.

The label would have become like another Guy Laroche or Carven.

^ Doubtful.
Yves Saint Laurent is one of the greats of this century, his influence even transcends the industry. The French state thinks so. They honored him during the 1998 World Cup.
Can you imagine any other designer having his designs paraded in a stadium after a soccer match?

rive gauche said:
Stefano Pilati is nor the right person for Yves Saint Laurent.
Everybody knows this but doesn't say it upload.

If there was no Tom ford,previously at YSL,there would no be Yves Saint Laurent at all.

The label would have become like another Guy Laroche or Carven.

i think you're giving too much credit to tom ford. he did revitalize the label and made it more mainstream (sexed up appeal that drew hollywood) but to say that without him there would be no ysl is a bit much. :unsure: i find the article's criticism of pilati's rigor and precision to be solely for comparative purposes. i happen to think that there's no significant dilemma in the way and pace that pilati works.

^ I agree w/ Taz on that one, it was licensed to death. I credit Ford with giving back YSL it's clout and Pilati for giving YSL back it's brilliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strigi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->