Zac Posen - Designer, Creative Director of Gap Inc.

I've never been a super fan of his work, but he has real talent, and an eye for beauty. He lasted longer than most, but I always thought his career was ultimately a series of bad timing, and missed opportunities...with a dash of inflated ego.

Meanwhile the "House of Fenty" is here and thriving.:wink:

It was expected but it’s always sad to see a company close.
Unfortunately he didn’t have the chance to see his business grow organically.
He is a great technician and he is a very skilled designer. It’s difficult to survive in America even more when you are not doing sportswear and when you have such a small market.
He has the potential to be a designer somewhere else but he hasn’t displayed a versatility that would make me imagine where...

Sad, he made beautiful dresses. He doesn't seem to be able to do anything else except than making beautiful dresses. Curious where he will pop up.

This came as quite the shock to me honestly. Sure he's long past he's prime of popularity, but I assumed he still had a solid clientele for the dresses. Maybe it had something to do with bad management. Anyway it's always so sad to see a business like this closing, all the lost jobs... it's l really a jungle out there in this industry.

I only feel bad for his employees. I hope they can all find something else.

It is sad indeed but at least he is not selling hoodies for $$$. I wish him and his team the best...

Looks like he's moving online-only and focusing on accessories.

Screenshot_20230316_202713_Chrome.jpg

I only feel sad for the team who will now have to go on the dole. Hardly the way to start a new year.

Zac Posen as a brand reminds me very much of Christian Siriano in that they're known and respected but I can't quite figure out what market share they hold in the American fashion ecosystem and whether that's profitable enough to keep them going beyond the 10 dedicated clients. One thing I will say is that it's not that he never tried. There was a stage when it became almost cringey - his thirst to work for a big Euro house, his thirst to be in the spotlight. Yet strangely enough, when social media started peaking he actually went more insular. And that might be why he's shutting down.
There are far more established, heritage brands doing what he did and way better. Why Zac Posen when you can get CH and ODLR who have expanded on their signatures in recent years, or Badgley & Mischka if you want to keep it American old money?

I'm still shedding tears over Sander Lak, and I know nobody on here cares, except Redsmokerise and I?, but that was a real loss for American fashion. I know it doesn't sound very nice, but I don't think fashion will miss Zac Posen.

I only feel sad for the team who will now have to go on the dole. Hardly the way to start a new year.

Zac Posen as a brand reminds me very much of Christian Siriano in that they're known and respected but I can't quite figure out what market share they hold in the American fashion ecosystem and whether that's profitable enough to keep them going beyond the 10 dedicated clients. One thing I will say is that it's not that he never tried. There was a stage when it became almost cringey - his thirst to work for a big Euro house, his thirst to be in the spotlight. Yet strangely enough, when social media started peaking he actually went more insular. And that might be why he's shutting down.
There are far more established, heritage brands doing what he did and way better. Why Zac Posen when you can get CH and ODLR who have expanded on their signatures in recent years, or Badgley & Mischka if you want to keep it American old money?

I'm still shedding tears over Sander Lak, and I know nobody on here cares, except Redsmokerise and I?, but that was a real loss for American fashion. I know it doesn't sound very nice, but I don't think fashion will miss Zac Posen.

This thread is 4 years old lol, I'm just updating it as news has come our that he's relaunching online.

I don't think it has anything to do with Zac himself tho. There's no trace of the relaunch on his personal instagram account and I believe it's more a John Galliano kind of situation where he just lost the rights to his name.

Yeah, I meant 'he' as in 'the brand/entity Zac Posen' - for what it's worth, this is on the official ZP company LinkedIn which he did sometimes personally post to for a while. Interested to see what comes of it, anyway - it was always a brand I quite liked.

^^^ Good for him.

If he’s found his place simply as a dressmaker who designs and dresses his rich clientele in the old-fashion, exclusive glamour of old Hollywood, then he’s earned his creative freedom a thousand folds. Stardom be damned.

The current state of fashion that’s dominated and plagued by ugly egos is the most repulsive, disgusting and embarrassing infestation— not that fashion people have never had illusions of granduer before, but the need to air out temper tantrums on SM is so vile and juvenile. These types are so desperate to become stars and inflate their ego — and this gross encouragement of me me me, myself and I, more than ever before. If there’s some fashion equivalent of some divine, biblical flood that washes away so many useless narcissists, then let me pray for it.

(Gigi’s dress is simply gorgeous. Reminds me of the architectural curves that mid-90s Richard Tyler would conjure. Just flattering to the feminine form without any unfussy clutter. Very curious about the construction quality…)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zr90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->