Reasons why you bought a Designer something (or many!)

Yasmin

Reaction score
Okay, I know, most people here would agree that just because it's a designer name doesn't automatically mean that it's beautiful.

However, from my perspective, I actually don't understand why designer *Is sometimes worth it*. Just sometimes. I get the impression most of you think that under some circumstances it's worth the money.

There are a lot of well-made clothing, bags, shoes, etc, that are not designer. I'm not talkin' K-mart, but still in the "affordable" range for most of us. I assume most of your wardrobes are filled with those things. But then maybe you buy a specific designer bag as the icing on the cake?

Don't designer clothes go "out of fashion" eventually (They keep coming out with new ones so I assume a designer bag you bought 5 years ago just doesn't have the same "oomph" as a 2006 model), and isn't there the concern of looking like you're "trying too hard" ?

I assume that you also get a lot of status-points from certain(most?) people? Do people in general treat you better if you are holding an authentic recent designer bag?

Honest question! :sideways:

Well, in terms of designer clothing I usually buy pieces that I think are unique from a construction standpoint, that wouldn't be available at shops such as high street/Zara/H&M etc. I would never buy something like a logo tee that is of same construction as things I can get at the Gap. When shopping for clothes the thing I am biggest on is the cut and fabric, and IMO for stuff other than basics I find designer often offers a better selection in that department. I actually don't even follow many designers, the only two major ones that compose much of my wardrobe is Yohji Yamamoto and Hedi Slimane. Dior jeans are probably the one thing that could be questionable because for the most part, one does not need to pay $400 for a pair of blue jeans with some whiskers and distressing, as there are many cheaper options for a similar product, and even better quality too. But again I think their jeans have the perfect cut and most tasteful distressing, so I'll continue to buy it. Perhaps it's self-justification on my part in that area :wink:

When I buy something from a designer (not a frequent occurence), its definitely a basic that's going to look good forever. I'm just not that into most trends, and I really do like a classic style, so in that situation, for me, its worth it. For people who like a more eclectic or funky style, they might want to shop differently.

I also have things that I just won't spend too much on, such as tee-shirts, tank tops, or jeans. I don't think the quality is worth what you pay for items like that. I still stand by my assertion that Jcrew makes the best tees. And for like $17.00, too.

I am a sucker for a great bag, but I only buy bags that I really enjoy, not just because they're trendy. That way, five years down the road, I'll still have a bag that I like and enjoy, not "Fall 2005's IT BAG." That said, I'm oogling a Balenciaga. lol

Fade to Black said:
Well, in terms of designer clothing I usually buy pieces that I think are unique from a construction standpoint, that wouldn't be available at shops such as high street/Zara/H&M etc. I would never buy something like a logo tee that is of same construction as things I can get at the Gap. When shopping for clothes the thing I am biggest on is the cut and fabric, and IMO for stuff other than basics I find designer often offers a better selection in that department. I actually don't even follow many designers, the only two major ones that compose much of my wardrobe is Yohji Yamamoto and Hedi Slimane. Dior jeans are probably the one thing that could be questionable because for the most part, one does not need to pay $400 for a pair of blue jeans with some whiskers and distressing, as there are many cheaper options for a similar product, and even better quality too. But again I think their jeans have the perfect cut and most tasteful distressing, so I'll continue to buy it. Perhaps it's self-justification on my part in that area :wink:

i agree with everything you said appart from the dior jeans imo i cant fault them.
also if i see something i like such as i dunno westwood pirate boots that the high street is gonna rip off i might as well get the real deal for that little bit more money, for me them being different to everyone else's is worth the money - i hate looking the same

It won`t be something unique, but I`ve just brought my sky blue balenciaga. I love it..:smile: It was worth to spurgle :wink:

I won`t lie, a big advertisement was that every celebrity wears it, but I bought not because of that, but just because they look to die for, so adorable, fresh, and like something that I would wear for ages, even when fashion will move on.:smile:

Ahhh.....even when I talk, I keep on glancing at that cutie.:smile::smile:
Oh, and yes, another reason is that in our country, Balenciaga costs five times as much (because we still havent got euros, and one euro is like 4-5 ones of ours), so nobody has it, and I won`t be one in a million.

p.s.: sorry formy bad english....I try :smile:

VICTIM said:
i agree with everything you said appart from the dior jeans imo i cant fault them.

Well in the realm of designer jeans nothing really beats Dior Homme...took a look at some Guccis and Pradas today, they were quite mediocre (although the Prada is acceptable and not as tacky as I expected, the Guccis are absolutely shapeless!)

Most Japanese denim labels offer superior quality to DH jeans, which are not even selvedge. The fabrics and treatments used will most likely be a lot more intricate and selective, even though the price is comparable with DH (45 RPMs cost up to $1000 and I remember seeing some Samurai raw denims that totally blew the Dior raw denims out of the water in terms of denim quality, and they cost about the same as the DH orange overdyes. Yohji Yamamoto also came out with some mind blowing denim stuff last season). But DH jeans will always be a staple because of their superior cut.

Hi, Yasmin, the reason why designer is sometimes worth it to me is a level of detail and interest I can't find at a lower price point. I *do not* buy designer basics, because I believe I can get a perfectly good basic at a lower price point (i.e., comparable to Contemporary pricing at most). My star black wool gabardine pants that I haven't been able to replace but served me well for at least 10 years were Ellen Tracy (bought on sale). I don't know how they could have been improved upon by a designer label.

I am not looking for any kind of a reaction from other people except that a) I want the men in my life to generally find what I'm wearing attractive and b) I want my clothes to accurately represent who I am (or at least some facets of that). There probably are people who think I'm trying too hard, since I could get away with wearing jeans or even shorts to work everyday if I wanted to. But who gives a rat's *** what they think? B)

As far as going out of fashion ... there are certain extremely trendy things that I avoid instinctively. But I bought some things this year that people in the know will be able to date to 2005. That's OK. If I love them in 2005, I will love them in 2007, 2009, and so on, till they wear out or are otherwise destroyed. I just don't see anything wrong with that. When I bring something into my wardrobe, it's there to stay until it simply can't function any longer.

As far as questions about designer bags, I am still looking for the bag that will inspire me to spend that kinda $$$$ ^_^ The problem I have is that the ones I really like are usually soooo expensive that I would feel I needed to carry them for years on end in order to get my money's worth. Because part of my little brain knows this math ...

I will have carried my spring bag for 7 months this year, and I'm not done with it yet (i.e., I will carry it some next spring too almost certainly). The cost per wear for just 6 months is $1.62/day. In order to get that from a $2500 bag, I'd have to carry it 1543 days, or 4.22 years. That's a looooong time ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daaimage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->