Selling on Ebay - any tips?

soft-

If you're wanting to sell a lot of items, sometimes it helps to have them spaced apart a bit. That way, if you offer combined shipping deals, people have time to win one item and then continue to bid on the next.

If it takes you a while to list, have you considered scheduling the listing for your items? That way, you have time to compile the info and then it will automatically be scheduled for the time and date you specific. And I agree, Sunday nights at about 7-8 PM are a perfect time.

However, now, with the Holidays approaching, it's best to not list your items. If you must, go for it. But I just listed some items, and the auctions will end before Thanksgiving here in the US hits. I'll save the rest of my stuff for February after the money burn of the Holidays has begun to pass.

Some random tips:

-Gallery photos - as mentioned by another member, DO spend on the gallery option.

-Sell from a business standpoint - if a Holiday is approaching, don't list (people will probably be busy doing other things than looking at auctions on their computer)

-List any measurements in your listing. This cuts down on questions mailed to you, and won't frustrate any users who may be curious on the size.

-Stating your refund policy is very important.

-Map out when you'll be able to ship the winning items beforehand, that way you can state in the auction when you WON'T be able to ship the items (or when, for that matter, if you want to get specific)

-Good pictures are important. You don't want any complaints about misrepresented items.

-Don't make the message body too lengthy. Nobody wants to read a novel.

-Combine shipping rates. A lot of users look for the "only $1 shipping for each additional item won"

-Always state "NWOT" or "NWT", if applicable, in the item's description line... in fact, use up as much of that space as possible so more people will hit your search words while searching

-Be open to International bidders, but state for them to contact you with shipping inquiries beforehand

Yeh, it takes me a while to list my items too because I'm such a perfectionist and always want my listings to look neat!! Hehehe... 15 isn't too much, I usually list about that many things or more. Yeh, there's a small fee to have a scheduled listing but I'm not sure how much it is, I've never done it before..... But I'm sure it's not much!!

but erin...
from a retail point of view...
the HOLIDAYS is exactly when people shop most...???
that's why i thought now was a good time to list...
*though obviously not over thanksgiving weekend...

no???...i don't understand...:ermm:...

anyway...there always seems to be some reason NOT to list...
so i am doing this !!!...
and at least i will learn more and get better at it hopefully...
:rolleyes:......:lol:..

thanks again...:flower:...

**so how far apart should i have the auctions end do you think?...

softgrey said:
but erin...
from a retail point of view...
the HOLIDAYS is exactly when people shop most...???

**so how far apart should i have the auctions end do you think?...

Oh, my mistake if you're selling new merchandise. :smile: Then perhaps it's a spendid idea. I guess I was just working off what I do, selling clothing that I personally do not wear anymore.

Ideally, I think a few minutes apart is best...

NOOOOOO nobody bid on my jacket and now the auction's over. Wow I'm really mad right now.

Always provide a picture. If it is a bag or an article of clothing, photograph the tags and buckles or buttons. To make it harder for people to steal your pictures, you should mark them with your username imposed over the picture.

^ Fade, I thought you said you got a bid? :unsure:

Erin said:
Oh, my mistake if you're selling new merchandise. :smile: Then perhaps it's a spendid idea. I guess I was just working off what I do, selling clothing that I personally do not wear anymore.

Ideally, I think a few minutes apart is best...
oh good....yes...
i mean no...
i mean..it's not from my personal wardrobe...
it's mostly from my styling closet and from shoots and jobs and stuff like that...
maybe a couple of things i only wore once or twice that didn't work...

so i have a lot to sell....
and will be updating regularly...
but i have to get started already!!!...
eventually i will work up to the more high end stuff...

***so what is a 'few minutes' in ebay speak?...
10, 15, what?...
remember....i am completely new at how ebay works...

:innocent:

thank you...

I agree a few mintues apart would be best, but I believe you can only post items 30 min apart, which is why I typically do my auctions at 2 time "intervals"

^ I just want to say... from a retail standpoint, the Holidays thing sounds good... but most people are focusing on buying new items (with tags) for others, right...? Or in the fashion world, is second hand clothing acceptable to give? :unsure: My idea of it is that around this time of year people will be focusing on buying new items for others, and not personally shopping.

And a few minutes is a few minutes... 3 or 4... but soft, I wouldn't focus on that so much. What I would do is, in a word document ahead of time, get the descriptions typed out for ALL of your items. Then pick a night and start copying and pasting, and going from there... will probably only take 5 to 10 minutes to list each item if you have something planned out ahead of time (item title included)...

Guessgirl96 said:
I agree a few mintues apart would be best, but I believe you can only post items 30 min apart, which is why I typically do my auctions at 2 time "intervals"

If you're scheduling, it's 15 minute intervals. But I don't think softgrey's looking to schedule ahead of time...?

Erin said:
^ Fade, I thought you said you got a bid? :unsure:

yeah but then eBay took down my auction because I was apparently spamming in the title (I put "BECKHAM" to attract more viewers)...i then e-mailed that high bidder asking if he's willing to buy it for a price lower than he bid, and he never responded so i relisted it and this time nobody bid. I'm soooooo disappointed right now i'm literally shaking.

Do you guys think I can sell my jacket to What Comes Around Goes Around or something like that?

^ Are you willing to sell it for less... maybe relist it, and set the starting bid lower?

Well I didn't want to let it go for under $500...and i don't think people want to pay over $100 for this anyways, so it's a dilemma.

^ Sometimes it's simply not worth selling something. :smile: Of course, I guess if you're never going to wear it... what's the use in keeping it... ugh, sometimes it IS hard deciding.

i'm sorry if this is a horrible place to post this... couldnt find another thread, so please dont get too mad!!!!
but, i was wondering if you guys could help me identify if these looked authentic to you!!?!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marc-Jacobs-jacket_W0QQitemZ5444364549QQcategoryZ63860QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Vintage-Gucci-Handbag-Brown_W0QQitemZ6822246700QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Vintage-GUCCI-Purse-Drs-Bag-GC-FREE-Wallet_W0QQitemZ6821852829QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

thanks!!! again so sorry if this is not a good place to post this- redirect me if you can!!

4beautifullie4 said:
i'm sorry if this is a horrible place to post this... couldnt find another thread, so please dont get too mad!!!!
but, i was wondering if you guys could help me identify if these looked authentic to you!!?!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marc-Jacobs-jacket_W0QQitemZ5444364549QQcategoryZ63860QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Vintage-Gucci-Handbag-Brown_W0QQitemZ6822246700QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Vintage-GUCCI-Purse-Drs-Bag-GC-FREE-Wallet_W0QQitemZ6821852829QQcategoryZ63852QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

thanks!!! again so sorry if this is not a good place to post this- redirect me if you can!!

Hi! There is a forum for that. It is on http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f56/bag-fake-authentic-27655.html.

It is called Is this bag Fake/Authentic??

Good luck! :flower:

Erin said:
And a few minutes is a few minutes... 3 or 4... but soft, I wouldn't focus on that so much. What I would do is, in a word document ahead of time, get the descriptions typed out for ALL of your items. Then pick a night and start copying and pasting, and going from there... will probably only take 5 to 10 minutes to list each item if you have something planned out ahead of time (item title included)...

thank you ...i thought of that...
but i thought there might be something i didn't know...
seems pretty straightforward...
i guess it's just a matter of getting the hang of it...

thanks for all the great tips...
i have more confidence now...^_^
from what i understand...the week of thanksgiving is pretty active...
it's just right after when all the sales in the stores start that it slows down for a few days...

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->