Selling on Ebay - any tips?

faust said:
why not start the auction right away?
i did a three day auction because everyone says that all the action happens at the end anyway...so why pay for 7?....right?
and i also was told that most ebay traffic is on weekends ...
so having your auction end on sat or sun night is smart...

so i started it thurs midnight to end on sun midnight...
what do you think?... :unsure:

**thx for the tips spunsugar... :flower:

softgrey said:
i did a three day auction because everyone says that all the action happens at the end anyway...so why pay for 7?....right?
and i also was told that most ebay traffic is on weekends ...
so having your auction end on sat or sun night is smart...

so i started it thurs midnight to end on sun midnight...
what do you think?... :unsure:

**thx for the tips spunsugar... :flower:

is there a significant price difference between a 3 and 7 day auction? A 7 day auction will give more exposure to the item you are selling, that's the way I see it. I'd never put something for 3 days unless it's a hot ticket that will sell for a high price anyway, along the lines of Dior Homme jeans.

One more tip, and I don't know if it's been covered here, look at the similar listings or the same designer listings and see for how much things are going. Some designers are very covetable in general, like Dior Homme or John Galliano Homme. For other designers certain items are covetable; for example Ann Demeulemeester's boots will go for hundreds of dollars, while her clothes will usually sell very cheaply.

yeah...i checked that out faust...
and i think that for some things a 7 day auction might be better...
but not this item...:wink:

softgrey said:
yeah...i checked that out faust...
and i think that for some things a 7 day auction might be better...
but not this item...:wink:

cool. good luck!

oh my gosh...my auction started and i didn't even realize it...
it started at noon today...:woot:...

btw...i'm softgrey-nyc
:wink:

if anybody could give me some feedback on my posting and pics and description, etc...it would be much appreciated...thx...:flower:

you may want to state that there are no returns and make it clear what methods of payment you accept within the description

meowmix said:
you may want to state that there are no returns and make it clear what methods of payment you accept within the description
Agreed, this is crucial softgrey...remember you dont know what people youre dealing with and you would be surprised at how ruthless some ebayers are :blush: ...

i thought i did that...no?...hmmm...

yes you did, Im sorry... I just agreed without visiting your listing...
:blush: embarassed...

softgrey said:
oh my gosh...my auction started and i didn't even realize it...
it started at noon today...:woot:...

btw...i'm softgrey-nyc
:wink:

if anybody could give me some feedback on my posting and pics and description, etc...it would be much appreciated...thx...:flower:

it's perfect, softie. beautiful top too, especially the back. good luck!

^ whoops :lol: me too... i didn't catch that. i often forget to look at the bottom because some sellers JUST put it in the description and not in those fields. it looks good, softie!

yay!!...:clap:...
thanks for the feedback guys...

i agree, thanks faust...i really like the piece and didn't want to let go of it...
but it doesn't suit my lifestyle or my wardrobe...

my friend who took the pics was like...'and why are you selling this?'...
:lol:...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with your auction Softgrey! I think you did a great job with your listing. :flower:

The only suggestion I would make is to consider listing international shipping rates (I know it is my most common question). If you do, it also means that if I come across your auction at the last minute, I don't need to email you (or wait for your reply) before I bid.

In my experience, most sellers tend to use USPS Global Priority Mail (http://www.usps.com/global/globalprioritymail.htm), available for items 4 lbs and under. A seller with a listing for a similar item was charging US$6 for Canada and US$9 for the rest of the world (the rates for something not over 0.5 lbs according to the tables).

If you wanted to have insurance, tracking etc there is also USPS Global Express Mail (http://www.usps.com/global/globalexpressmail.htm). Of course it is more expensive (it starts from US$15.50), but I would use it when you start listing your "designer" clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
thx adfof...:flower:
i was just going with the advice of others who had suggested i not use a 'flat fee' shipping rate and go by the buyer's location...

personally, i think a flat fee would be MUCH easier really...
good tip about the insurance...much appreciated...

Softie, I think the auction looks great. Except...I would get rid of the "100% authentic". That's something that all the fake sellers use, so it just makes me cringe when I read it in good auctions. It's unnecessary for this type of item. Unless it's an LV bag or something of that sort, there's really no need to stress authenticity. And actually, I question the authenticity of an item a million times more when someone says "100% authentic", because it makes me think "why are they so defensive about the authenticity?" If the seller doesn't even mention it, it's like it's not even an issue. You know what I mean? Anyhow, just a suggestion. :flower:

I think flat fees for international shipping (I think AlexN was right suggesting the shipping calculator for the US) are MUCH easier.

A flat fee is only going to cause a problem when it is obvious you are overcharging, but for something as light as your top the difference between the cheapest and most expensive location using Global Priority Mail is only US$3. It is only with heavier items that the differences in price start to be more noticeable (up to US$13).

Still, if you wanted to be completely accurate, there are only five "rate groups" to list: 1 - Canada: US$6; 2 - Mexico US$7; 4 - Australia, Japan and New Zealand US$9; 3 & 5 - Rest of the world US$8 (Group 3: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, UK, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden & Switzerland. Group 5: Aruba, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Guyana, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Jamaica, South Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Poland, Saint Lucia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands & Vietnam).

I managed to sell 2 designer bags on ebay, which was more of a test drive for me to get a feel for the market. I am having huge pricing issues! The first time I listed my items, which were nothing trendy (one LV Epi Leather St. Jacques and one very old-school Kelly style Gucci tote), I priced them at 30% below cost... No bids, so then I priced them at 50-60% below cost, which caused them to sell... (the Gucci one I actually priced for $100!). So my question is, how do I price the item? Most of my bags are in great-excellent conditions and authentic (duh!), but none of the models are very trendy (like the Balenciaga's and Chloé's...). Do New With Tag items sell for their retail value (even if the model is 1-2 years old)? Is it a fashion crime to sell designer bags for 50% off?? Thanks!

It really depends on what it is... and also WHEN you sell it.. summer is slow.. but since Fall is coming, ebay is picking up a little... I would list the item so that it ends at a convenient time when everyone is home....

I would make the starting price low.. but set a reserve... but don't make it TOO low...

But the lower starting prices encourage people to bid. Starting it at 100 was good, I think.

^ yeah you have better chance of someone bidding on something if the starting price is low. But the thing I hate about putting on a reserve for very expensive designer items, is that ebay charge you so much for lisiting fees:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->