Shopping on eBay

^I've sent the item almost 3 weeks ago. I did keep everything; copied and send the original proof of posting to the buyer... I guess I'll have to wait and see. It wasn't even international, used the Royal Mail. Uh.

^ I hope that Paypal doesn't take your money... it's possible... that stuff gets frustrating, for sure. Best of luck... let us know how it goes.

legyviel - if the buyer didn't pay for tracking, then it's really up to them to track it down. I personally find Royal Mail very quick and reliable but I figure a couple of things could have happened. 1. Their sorting office is backed up in the buyer's area and they just haven't gotten to notifying her yet (not that likely for something for 3 weeks, but has happened to my area's sorting office before) 2. It got stolen off her step if it wasn't posted through the door (quite likely, has happened to me on several occasions) or 3. The buyer received it, and is lying about it (also a possibility). Let us know if you found anything out!

^ But Meg, that's not entirely true.

Legyviel could be forced by Paypal to refund the money. It's weird how Ebay and Paypal switch it around as being the sender's fault, not the buyer. Again, as a seller, I have had to give refunds to buyers claiming their package never arrived. It doesn't seem to matter if tracking was purchased or not. Paypal tends to side with the buyer.

really? How strange. I don't even see how they can legally enforce that if you have physical proof (ie a receipt from USPS, Royal Mail, etc) certifying that you did send a package on a certain date, for a certain weight, to the address of the sender.

^ Me neither. It has been very frustrating for me. I guess if it's not OFFICIAL proof, as in, you did not purchase insurance, it is not good enough. I know. It's crazy, and rather unfortunate. I guess they have to place the blame, and somehow it's easiest to hold your funds and then transfer them back to the buyer.

please help! i bought a jacket from ebay and i m not happy with it. the condition was not gd and the seller didnt specify it. i m filing this problem through paypal and do u guys know how it works?

does anyone know how some ebay sellers are able to sell a ton of designer lables in their store. i'm not talking about fakes but legitamate items. do they buy wholesale from designers and are able to sell online. if you know how they can do this please tell me. i'm interested in knowing

Here's a tip that a friend told me, as a seller you should require a signature for parcels you mail out, then you will have proof that the buyer signed for it and received the parcel. Insurance isn't a bad idea either, I include it for free so that if anything is lost and PayPal takes my money I know I can at least get the post office to refund the cost. You could always give the buyer the option to purchase insurance and if they don't buy it you could buy it anyway if you want, just an idea. It's not easy being a seller these days...I'm annoyed with ebay and I've only ever sold a couple of items. Thankfully no problems so far but I can see the potential for them.

^ Definitely.

As I've noted earlier in this thread, Paypal has taken money from me on a few purchases because international buyers have said that they did not received the items. It is more expensive to purchase insurance for these buyers, and buyers do not normally purchase, so I do not - at least internationally.

Paypal will always side with the buyer. It's unfortunate for us sellers (though I'm a buyer, too).

disclaimer: I'm venting! I hate eBay's new seller policies this year. New ones even this month! Not only w/ the fees but w/ the restrictions. They make it hard for even those of us with 5+ yrs history and 100% positives to prevail in anything. The latest is:I'm restricted for revising or listing more that 5 items w/in a 30-day period & then (if I do)w/in a 90 day period. WTF? And they do not respond to emails in ANY sort of timely fashion. Sometimes taking 11 days.
On a 'shipping note'; it's my understanding that PayPal/eBay look for the seller to have delivery confirmation (least) or signature (most) during disputes. If you don't opt to do this, regardless of whether you list or charge your buyer for it, you're screwed. At least in the US.
I've had soooo many buyer try to play me this year that I wish sellers could still leave appropriate Fb.

Great thread. I've so far only been a buyer on eBay, but want to start selling.. How does it work with shipping internationally?
And by the way, if I have bought an item that I never got, I think it got lost in the mail, can I get a refund?

Well, it would work however you'd like to. The payment has to go through Paypal so it would take into account for currency differences. You would estimate your costs for shipping & handling or simply offer to calculate based on the buyer's location. I do NOT do this, though, b/c it is a lot of hassle. (I do not ship internationally.)
You would need to contact the seller immediately re: your item. Seller's have different policies regarding insurance, no insurance, but you should be protected through PayPal. You may have to file a dispute depending on what transpires between you and the seller. I had an item that I had bought the other month and the seller, I thought, never sent it out when in fact he sent it to someone else. It didn't get resolved for a month. ugh...such hassles sometimes...
Best of Luck to You though!!

does anyone know how some ebay sellers are able to sell a ton of designer lables in their store. i'm not talking about fakes but legitamate items. do they buy wholesale from designers and are able to sell online. if you know how they can do this please tell me. i'm interested in knowing

Yeah, you wonder. I don't know about most sellers, but I know a few of them get their goods from estate sales and the like.

What I'M wondering is why is it that so many great vintage sellers seem to come from California. Is CA some sort of endless secondhand goldmine? I mean, at this point one might as well buy an air ticket once to get some dirt-cheap amazing finds, rather than bidding on multiple items for hundreds of dollars.

Well, I stopped selling things on ebay, but I buy from time to time... I just really think it's not worth it to sell cheap things, like something under 20 pounds because then the P&P would seem huge if I had to insure/send recorded every single package..
Ebay really needs to revise its policies. And postal services have to get better!

A very late thanks to Meg and Erin! The coat was returned to me (still don't know why not to the buyer because the address was correct) and I gave the money back to the buyer.

^ Amen!

About the above post: many sellers I know already have retail#'s (like licenses) so they are able to go in as buyers and get product at below wholesale and such for "brand name" items. It's the same as a shop/boutique owner would have to do except w/o the retail location or overhead. eBay rewards these "power sellers" who sell and/or have a "virtual shop" with them w/ lower fees. Many ppl I know that have retail locations still sell their surplus or after season items on eBay or hire someone to do so and track it.

eBay is not a profitable thing for the "little guy" anymore.

^ You're right.

I was an independent seller and sold for supplemental income. But anymore, I've just LOST money by not selling any items. And some of the listing fees are ridiculous. It's a shame, because it used to be fun. But if nobody's buying, then why waste my time selling?

And you're welcome, Legyviel. :smile: ALWAYS happy to talk about Ebay. :wink:

^ Definitely.

As I've noted earlier in this thread, Paypal has taken money from me on a few purchases because international buyers have said that they did not received the items. It is more expensive to purchase insurance for these buyers, and buyers do not normally purchase, so I do not - at least internationally.

Paypal will always side with the buyer. It's unfortunate for us sellers (though I'm a buyer, too).

I am a buyer and seller on eBay, and before I started purchasing delivery confirmation for every package, I would, every so often get a buyer that claimed he or she didn't receive the item. They would file a complaint with paypal and eBay, and I would be forced to give them a full refund, even though I stated in my auction that uninsured items were not my responsibility once they left the post office. It sucks!! Paypal freezes your account if you don't refund the $$. Bastards! I now purchase tracking for everything I mail (except when I ship internationally which I rarely do, because I dont think they offer it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Limpcheesestick
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->