Selling on Ebay - any tips?

Thanks! All of your suggestions have been great! I had never thought about making the listing end at a time when everyone is home...

Is there some sort of pricing rule of thumb? Example: 1999 Louis Vuitton Epi Leather Saint-Jacques originially cost $925... it's in excellent condition... how would I price it now? (and don't worry, I am not trying to sell this here - this is the one I have already SOLD on ebay... just an example)

I only started checking ebay today..also about to sell off some stuff (electronics)- and found myself wandering into bags and sunglasses..
I would recommend you try setting the lowest price possible you can live with.because what I did was go through all the Valentino butterfly sunglasses I found, and wandered into the cheapest ''authentic guarenteed'' page..I didnt start bidding yet though (first timer cold feet) :smile:
Good luck

Luna said:
It really depends on what it is... and also WHEN you sell it.. summer is slow.. but since Fall is coming, ebay is picking up a little... I would list the item so that it ends at a convenient time when everyone is home....

I would make the starting price low.. but set a reserve... but don't make it TOO low...

But the lower starting prices encourage people to bid. Starting it at 100 was good, I think.

With designer bags, such as Louis Vuitton and Chanel, is it worth setting the reserve at 30% below cost? I mean, these bags are USED but they aren't anything trendy or "vintage" (at least not in my opinion)... I am always skeptical of buyers who list their items at VERY low prices... unless I see they have a reserve price...

i started selling things on ebay about 6 months ago. and at first it went insanely well, i sold tons of "boho" vintage items mostly from my collection. then summer slowtime hit and it was painful. yikes. but now i am building up my sales again.

the only feedback i felt was missing in this thread was how to deal with the many many questions and communication from buyers. i always try to keep in mind that english might not be their first language. and i try to assume the best if a payment is late, i ask but don't accuse sort of thing. i am always careful and polite and cheerful in my communications. it is so easy for things to get hysterical online... and you don't want bad feedback so tread cautiously.

i also used to have a warning to under 3 then under 10 feedback bidders, to caontact me before bidding. then i took that off. it doesn't seem to make a difference. i still have a very small percentage of people who don't pay. i try not to get too upset about it. 99% of my buyers are honest and straightforward. but do be wary of newbies and if you feel your buyer is really young, they can be a bit rash in emails and feedback, but they are also very essential to starting the bidding and jacking up prices. irrationality has its up side.

and if you have an odd feeling about a buyer. check their feedback. and also go to the boards in ebay. they have a lot of very experienced members discussing this and all the other problems.

and like in all retail, you have good weeks and bad weeks.

good luck!

Thanks for all the suggestions/tips!!

Someone had told me that starting at $100 was a good idea, but what's the point if I have a reserve price of $800? Also, don't people generally assume that if something is going for $100 it's probably fake? What should I do? Lower to $100 (keeping the reserve) or keep it at $400? I also have a high BIN price of around $900... Thanks!

Eh...I'm sorry if this post is an intrusion to the thread, but I guess I just want to Yay or Nay the photos of this jacket I'm tryin to sell on eBay. No I'm not trying to give some free/cheap advertising for my auction, but just trying to get some opinions on whether the photos I got of it are good, or how I might be able to improve to potentially sell this item better. I'm getting kind of paranoid because it's been like 12 hours already and nobody's bid yet!!! :( I heard that rare Dolce stuff like this is better off being sold at Y! but I had such a hard time navigating and registering on that thing...here are the pics:

42_1.JPG

55_1.JPG

ae_1.JPG

67_1.JPG

Sorry guys I understand this is a shot in the dark...I know this kinda stuff isn't as hot as current Dior Homme leather or anything like that, but it's just been in our closet for nearly 20 years (this is one of first Dolce & Gabbana collections item), never been worn and would be nice to sell it so I can buy some new stuff...do you guys think I have a shot of getting rid of this thing?

Fade to Black said:
Eh...I'm sorry if this post is an intrusion to the thread, but I guess I just want to Yay or Nay the photos of this jacket I'm tryin to sell on eBay. No I'm not trying to give some free/cheap advertising for my auction, but just trying to get some opinions on whether the photos I got of it are good, or how I might be able to improve to potentially sell this item better. I'm getting kind of paranoid because it's been like 12 hours already and nobody's bid yet!!! :( I heard that rare Dolce stuff like this is better off being sold at Y! but I had such a hard time navigating and registering on that thing...here are the pics:

[pic 1]
[pic 2]
[pic 3]
[pic 4]

Sorry guys I understand this is a shot in the dark...I know this kinda stuff isn't as hot as current Dior Homme leather or anything like that, but it's just been in our closet for nearly 20 years (this is one of first Dolce & Gabbana collections item), never been worn and would be nice to sell it so I can buy some new stuff...do you guys think I have a shot of getting rid of this thing?

Honestly, I think the pictures are 'alright'. If you have a mannequin, put it on that, and take pictures. It gives the overall look a better feel. If not, put it on a hanger and take pictures of it.

After I take an overall shot, I like to use the macro mode and zoom in on the details, and any imperfections, so there won't be any suprises when the winner recieves the item. Stuff like buttons, stitching, tags etc. are the things I usually want the bidder to get a good look at.

And I notice that some of your shorts are 'neck-turners'. Try to rotate them, so they're the right side up. Most bidders get annoyed (I'm on of them) having to turn their heads every which way to get a good look at the pictures.

Good luck and happy bidding. :wink:

oh man now i'm worried. the jacket's in hong kong i had to go through a lot to get these pics ... dang guess i'm stuck with it for a while. Shoot.

So I want to sell a pair of Citizens of Humanity jeans that are too small (bad me, must stop gaining weight!) but it's the only thing that I want to sell. Is it even going to work for me since I'd have to set up an account and all of that? Or am I better off sending them to a consignment shop here in LA? I'm wondering all this because of all the stuff against new sellers, and also I hear that there are fake citizens on ebay so how would I distinguish mine (from Ron Herman in Beverly Hills) from the fakes. Also, as mine are altered, though with the original hem, will that lower the price? And one more thing, since the jeans are too small for me (waaah), how should I take pictures of them? Any help from you brillant experinced tfs'er's would be apprechiated!

My first item selling ebay were a pair of jeans as well.
As long as your present your auction in a way that reassures the bidder that you are legit, and not trying to scam them, you should have no problems with them.

To get the most bang for your auction, I wouldn't take it to a consignment shop because they either take a fixed amount of money, or a percentage of the final selling fee. (some take upto 50%)

Yes, there are fake jeans selling on ebay. You need to know what distinguishes a fake from a real (a bit of research can help you with this) and clearly show them in the pictures.(ie. if there's a distinguishing mark on the tag that differs between fake and real, take a good close-up shot of that).

Hmm. I'm not sure if the pricing would fluctuate because of an alteration. I would somehow include that in your title and/or description and give the exact lengths taken off, so there are no suprises. As for how to take pictures, mannequin would be a good choice, or you modeling them yourself would be a second choice. If not, lay them out on something that is a solid colour (not patterned) so the bidders can get a 'feel' of how they look.

Don't forget to disclose any cosmetic damages (if any).

Plastic'sWife said:
I just sold some stuff on Ebay...

These are just a few tips:
-set a low (or a tiny bit below average) starting price.. it will encourage bids
- make sure you state clearly your return policy, or lack of
- ofcourse be as descriptive as possible and welcome questions
- do not underestimate shipping...
- MAKE SURE YOU USE the Gallary option, Personally I dont look at anything unless I see it in the gallary
- If youre selling designer stuff state thier authenticity along with a guarantee
- State how many days the buyer/winner has to pay for the item (use PayPal)
- Do research on your item first, how many there are, how much they are going for, etc.. this will help you better place your item in the ebay market

Goodluck!

All very good tips that Plastic gave :smile:

I'm always selling lots of stuff on eBay, usually my clothes that I no longer wear or never worn, and some of my brothers stuff. Some other tips that may help...

I've found that representation is very very important. Take lots of good clear pictures with good clean backgrounds. I used to just lay the clothes I sell out on the the floor, but I noticed bids clearly went up when I started doing pics of the clothes when worn.

Except for the bigger ticket items I start all of my auctions at 9.99 and let it go from there. It seems that once someone places a bid, many people get cuaght up near the end and bid higher than they would normally. High starting prices sometimes scare people away and have people not even click on the item.

Or, if you set a starting price that you would be satisfied, start with a 3 day auction. Then when about 12 hours are left, increase it to 5 days, then 7 and then 10. The listings are organized by time remaining by defaul, so the less time you have left in the auction the higher up your auction will be on the page. You cant add more time after there is 1 bid of less than 12 hours left though, so be careful!

Another little tip is to describe the item pretending that there are no pictuers, a good description is always good.

I never have items end on Fridays and saturdays, not as many people are home browsing ebay on weekends. Also have them end at a good time for your part of the world, not much 2pm when everyone is at work or 4am when people are sleeping.

Hope this helps someone :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys think of my description I used for the Dolce jacket:

Up for auction is a truly stunning one of a kind piece that you will never see in your lifetime again. This is a Dolce & Gabbana vintage treated motorcycle jacket made of the finest leather and purposely given a worn looking effect for a classic rugged and masculine look. Bought in Milan in the 1980's, it was purchased at about $3000 USD back then. It was never worn and has stayed in our family's collection for almost 2 decades and we have decided that it would be better off to sell this to an aficionado of Italian fashion who will cherish and wear this piece. Purposely cut short in the torso, it is a timeless piece that seems relevant even in today's ever-changing fashion world, in line with today's trends of the shrunken/cropped jacket and the resurgence of the motorcycle/biker chic look in menswear in a perfect combination of the two. It will fit men who normally wear a size 50, not just in Italian labels such as Dolce & Gabbana, DSquared, etc. but it is generally a true to size fit for a 50 (will fit those who normally wear Medium-Large). Dolce & Gabbana has just celebrated their 20th anniversary this year, and this piece is a relic of a time when Italian fashion was at the height of its powers, making it the most valuable of collector's items.

edit: update - WHOA i got one bid...good news. :lol:

Gosh, Fade to Black, your description makes me want to own the jacket! Very compelling text. I am sorry to say the pictures don't make me want to own the jacket, however. It just isn't for me. I wish you the best of luck.

My biggest tip is to make sure you specify your refund policy! I had a timewaster who wants a refund just because something she bought didnt fit her :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

please help...

what is a good day and time to have an auction end...
if i have several auctions, how do i list them so that they end accordingly...?

*do i want them to all end at the same time?...
or what?...
i am so bad at this...:(

please guys...i really need some feedback here...
thanks...:flower:...

Personally, I think a Sunday night around 8pm is a pretty good time for things to end because people would usually be at home at that time. Also, it gives you a bit of time to figure out what postage you need to organise.

Also, I kinda like my items to end a few minutes (like around 10-20 minutes) apart from each other, you know, just in case some buyers wanna make multiple purchases. That way, they're not panicking because I know I'm like that sometimes!!

Hope that helps!! :flower:

thanks aquarius...:flower:

but it takes me longer than 10-20 minutes to list each new item...
i am new at this and still really slow...:doh:
and i have like 15 things i want to list...(is that too many?:(huh:

do you guys usually just pay to have an auction start when you want it to?...
should i do that maybe?...
:unsure:...

thanks aquarius...:flower:

but it takes me longer than 10-20 minutes to list each new item...
i am new at this and still really slow...:doh:
and i have like 15 things i want to list...(is that too many?:(huh:

do you guys usually just pay to have an auction start when you want it to?...
should i do that maybe?...
:unsure:...

uh...sorry ...dbl post...:(

no edit button...
:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back